Advanced Calculus textbooks that are useful for Cal BC

In summary, the textbook used in Calculus 1&2 at Orange Coast College is "Calculus by Spivak." It is a rigorous book that emphasizes proof over practical problems. There are no more advanced textbooks that help a student master their calculus skills. However, if a student is interested in learning more about differential equations, ordinary diff eq. or Martin Braun's "Differential Equations, 7th Edition," would be useful.
Dng1233
Hi everyone,
I will be junior next year in my high school and take Calculus BC. However, I also take Calculus 1&2 Honor in the community college which is known as Orange Coast College ( If anyone has studied here before, please tell me the difference between the content of this course and standard Calculus 2). I already looked up the textbook that this course uses, and it is "Calculus by Spivak". I have heard many comments that this book is very rigorous ( I am ok with it since I have a strong math background), just emphasizes on proof and less practical problems. My question is that besides "Calculus by Spivak" are there any advanced textbooks that helps me to master my Calculus skill, get a high grade on Ap Cal Bc exam and also be ready for Linear Algebra and Cal 3 ( Multivariable Calculus)? I've heard about Apostol and Courant's Calculus and still wonder which one will be useful for my Calculus skill.
Thank you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak is probably enough, if you do it all, including many problems. Courant and Apostol might be useful supplements for a few more applied topics and a different sort of flavor of treatment. I learned something different from all of them. I never took any AP tests, but presume any would serve well as preparation. My advice in preparing for tests is first to know the material well and then practice a few old tests to see how they look.

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you for your advice
I still have one question for Spivak's book content. Does it cover the differential and parametric equation and will I be fine in Cal 3 after finishit this book ?
Thanks again

it may not cover differential equations, for that try martin braun, ordinary diff eq. or courant as i said, for such applied topics. but my point is that if you complete spivak =you will be in a very small subset of all students and have nothing to worry about at all. i mean no disrespect but i doubt you will finish spivak. (i still haven't, 50 years later, or courant either.) indeed, with all respect, i recommend you suspend these questions about things that are years down the line, and just start reading and working problems.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a regular Calculus textbook and an Advanced Calculus textbook?

An Advanced Calculus textbook goes beyond the basic concepts covered in a regular Calculus textbook and delves into more complex topics such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and advanced integration techniques.

2. How can I determine if a particular Advanced Calculus textbook is suitable for the Cal BC course?

You can check the syllabus or course requirements for Cal BC to see which topics are covered. Then, compare those topics to the table of contents of the textbook to see if it aligns with the course material.

3. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for Advanced Calculus textbooks?

Some popular authors for Advanced Calculus textbooks include Michael Spivak, Tom Apostol, and Walter Rudin. Some reputable publishers for these textbooks include Wiley, Springer, and Pearson.

4. Can an Advanced Calculus textbook be used for self-study?

Yes, an Advanced Calculus textbook can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic Calculus concepts before attempting to study advanced material.

5. Are there any online resources or supplements that can enhance the learning experience with an Advanced Calculus textbook?

Yes, many publishers offer online resources such as practice problems, interactive quizzes, and video tutorials to supplement the material in the textbook. Additionally, there are many online forums and study groups where students can discuss and collaborate on advanced calculus topics.