"Advanced" Geometry course

In summary, the speaker wants to refresh their knowledge of Euclidean Geometry before diving into Non-Euclidean Geometry, specifically for the purpose of understanding Relativity. They are unsure of where to start, as they have limited knowledge of geometry beyond the basic concept of parallel lines. They also mention not having knowledge of manifold, topology, differential geometry, or tensor calculus. The expert suggests taking one step at a time, starting with fundamental calculus and linear algebra before moving on to differential geometry. They also suggest using a combination of Schaum's Outline Of Differential Geometry and a more theoretical textbook for learning.
Waxterzz
I would like to refresh my "normal" or Euclidean Geometry quickly and then proceed to Non-Euclidean Geometry.

But I don't have a clue where to start. (It's because I want to learn more about Relativity, but my geometry hasn't got an update since long time ago)

I don't know what a manifold is, for starters. :)

Now I Google about Non-Euclidean Geometry and you got more than 1 type of N.E.G.

So, I haven't got a clue where to start.

I remember however this kind of a geometry in high school, where two parallel lines cross each other when going to infinity in a point that doesn't really exist? That's as far as my knowledge of geometry goes (I mean, that was the most advanced of "pure geometry" I encountered)

So how do I refresh my geometry and get ready for more exotic stuff?

I also have no notice from topology, differential geometry or tensor calculus. And what should I do first?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Diff. geometry is preceded by calculus. You have to take each step at a time. Point set topology comes as a side dish to fundamental (real) calculus. Then you have linear algebra, also before tackling diff. geometry.

Ok, so I got Calculus (including multivariable calculus) and Linear Algebra and Differential Equations covered, so the next step is Differential Geometry?

But for me something to learn, I have to look at a lot of premade solutions. So Schaum's Outline Of Differential Geometry in combination with a more theoretical book will do fine?

U got an idea of a good textbook on Differential Geometry?

1. What is the purpose of an "Advanced" Geometry course?

An "Advanced" Geometry course is designed to provide students with a deeper understanding of geometric principles and their applications. It also challenges students to think critically and creatively to solve complex problems.

2. What topics are typically covered in an "Advanced" Geometry course?

Topics covered in an "Advanced" Geometry course may include advanced concepts in Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometry, transformations, vectors, and trigonometry. Some courses may also cover topics in solid geometry, projective geometry, or analytic geometry.

3. What are the benefits of taking an "Advanced" Geometry course?

Some of the potential benefits of taking an "Advanced" Geometry course include developing problem-solving skills, improving spatial reasoning abilities, and preparing for higher-level math courses. It can also help students develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are valuable in many fields.

4. Is an "Advanced" Geometry course necessary for a career in science or engineering?

While an "Advanced" Geometry course may not be required for all science or engineering careers, it can be beneficial for developing essential skills and knowledge that are relevant to these fields. It can also help students stand out in college applications and provide a strong foundation for future math and science courses.

5. How can I prepare for an "Advanced" Geometry course?

To prepare for an "Advanced" Geometry course, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic geometric concepts such as angles, lines, and shapes. It can also be helpful to review algebra and trigonometry skills, as these may be used in more advanced geometry topics. Additionally, practicing critical thinking and problem-solving skills can also be beneficial.