Advice for High School Senior Seeking Career in Science

In summary, for high school seniors seeking a career in science, it is important to focus on building a strong foundation in math and science courses, participating in extracurricular activities related to science, finding internships or research opportunities, and networking with professionals in the field. It is also crucial to have a passion for science and to stay updated on current developments in the industry. Developing strong communication and critical thinking skills, as well as being open to different career paths, can also lead to success in a science career.
Rhomkin
Hello, and greetings!

I am a senior in High School, but had the revelation this year that I want a career (and education) in science. I've narrowed down my interests as best I can, but my area of interest is still fairly broad. I'm aware that this post includes career advice, but it is tied closely to the education I am pursuing. If you could offer any assistance in regards to my questions posed at the bottom of this post, I would be incredibly grateful.

Background:

My GPA in High School has been mediocre at best, and I've managed to slide with a grade of about 3.34 (unweighted) without trying at all for all four years. My years were not pleasant, and I dealt with a lot of social, mental, family, and physical issues simultaneously. Despite this, I have always been curious about science, mathematics, and reading. I've wanted a career which will challenge me, and offer a variety of puzzles and mysteries which have not been solved. My interests are in the fields of Biophysics, Biomedicine, Biotechnology, Genetics, and Genomics.

My ideal education would combine learning from both science and medicine, and allow for me to apply it in both research and treatment after I graduate.

I will be working towards an AS in Biotechnology at a local community college after I graduate, and it is my goal to acquire at least a 3.8 GPA after my first two years. After that, I wish to transfer to UNC (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) for my Bachelor's degree. Afterwards, I would also like to enter in a joint M.D./Ph.D program.

My plan so far:

1. Acquire Associate's in Biotechnology
2. Acquire Bachelor's in Biophysics
3. Acquire Master's in Biomedicine
4. Acquire Ph.D in Biomedicine

If I also decide to pursue Medicine, I wish to apply for medical school after acquiring my Bachelor's degree, working towards a joint M.D./Ph.D.
If I do so, I would most likely skip the Master's degree, and works towards my Ph.D instead.

It's an ambitious plan, but I am willing to work my *** off to reach my goals. :biggrin:Questions:

General (To all readers)

1. Is it true that top-level universities in the United States will only examine your College GPA and SAT/ACT scores (as opposed to High School GPA) after two years of undergraduate education?

2. Can you retake the SAT multiple times to supplement your previous scores during college? (And by extension, will these universities only examine the new scores?)

Specific (To those who work/are educated in the related fields, and/or have experience)

3. How applicable are graduate degrees in Biophysics/Biochemistry in the fields of Genetics and Genomics?

4. How does a joint M.D./Ph.D program differ from pursuing these degrees separately?

5. What jobs did you work in shortly after you graduated? (To: Biophysics, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biomedicine, Genetics, Genomics majors)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rhomkin said:
1. Is it true that top-level universities in the United States will only examine your College GPA and SAT/ACT scores (as opposed to High School GPA) after two years of undergraduate education?

Check the web sites of some universities that you are interested in, to find out what they require transfer student applicants to submit. Here's UNC, for example:

http://www.admissions.unc.edu/Apply/Transfer_Students/Requirements.html

which indicates that they do want high school transcripts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Advice for High School Senior Seeking Career in Science

1. How do I choose a specific field of science to pursue?

One way to choose a specific field of science is to think about your interests and strengths. Consider which subjects you enjoy in school and which skills you excel at. You can also talk to professionals in different science fields to gain insight into their experiences and career paths.

2. What steps should I take in high school to prepare for a career in science?

In high school, it is important to take challenging science and math courses to build a strong foundation in these subjects. You can also participate in science-related extracurricular activities, such as science clubs or research projects. It is also beneficial to start networking and building relationships with science professionals and professors.

3. How important are internships and research experiences in preparing for a career in science?

Internships and research experiences are highly valuable in preparing for a career in science. They provide hands-on experience and allow you to apply your knowledge in a real-world setting. They also help you build important skills, such as critical thinking and teamwork, and can make you a more competitive candidate for future opportunities.

4. Is it necessary to pursue a graduate degree in science?

While a graduate degree is not always required for a career in science, it can open up more opportunities and lead to higher salaries. Consider the specific field you want to pursue and research the typical education requirements for positions in that field. Some roles may require a graduate degree, while others may not.

5. How can I stand out to potential employers or graduate programs as a high school senior?

Aside from having a strong academic record and relevant experience, you can stand out by developing your communication and problem-solving skills. You can also highlight any leadership roles or community service activities you have been involved in. Additionally, showcasing your passion and dedication for your chosen field through a well-written personal statement or essay can make a good impression on potential employers or graduate programs.