Advice for improving PhD application next year (UK)

In summary, if you are applying for PhD positions in astronomy, it is important to have a reference from a supervisor that comments on your research skills. Having a 2.1 degree may not be enough to get in, and you should be looking for astronomy-related ads online.
AstroJH
Hi Everyone,

I applied for some PhD positions in astronomy this year and was unsuccessful. I was wondering if anyone could offer up some advice for improving my applications for next year.

To give you some context:
  • I gained my Master's in Physics with Astronomy from the University of Southampton in 2018 with a 2.1 result.
  • My research experience consists of my Master's project, a research project at Tenerife Teide observatory, a literature review for my dissertation and a couple of Master's-level programming projects.
  • My best grades at university were in my astronomy-specific modules and research modules.
  • Since leaving university, I have completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Education, which involved a limited amount of physics education research. The course taught me a lot about time management and working under pressure. I would personally say it was much more demanding than my Master's in physics.
  • I have also worked in various physics education roles. I'm currently project managing a physics education research project into children's misconceptions.
  • I cannot afford to go back to university.
Is there anything I can do to improve my chances next year?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't mention who your references were. References are typically the most important part of an application.

Unfortunately, I could not get a reference from my Master's supervisor as he has left academia and I've been unsuccessful in contacting him through email/LinkedIn/Facebook.

I had a copy of a reference that he wrote for me when applying to teacher training (obtained via UCAS), which mentioned that my report was the best he'd seen out of the students he'd supervised, but it didn't comment directly on my research skills.

My other referees were my current manager and a physics academic who is a research lead on the physics education research project I manage.

That's not an awesome state to be in. It seems like the single biggest thing you can actually do is get in touch with your master's supervisor and get a true recommendation for grad school. If he's not in academia though I'm not sure if that impacts the value of it.

Are you applying to CDTs? Or directly to open positions advertised by supervisors?
I am not quite sure how the funding works for astronomy, in my area (condensed matter/quantum) most PhD funding is now with the CDTs which means that the process of applying is a bit more formal than it used to be.
The fact that you have a 2.1 does mean that you should meet the eligibility criteria which is the only thing most supervisors look for, your actual grades in individual courses are not that important.

If you are applying directly to potential supervisors then a good recommendation from e.g. someone who has supervised a Masters project is indeed very important. Ideally, that should be more than a name on a CV ,potential supervisors do like to be able to call/e-mail to people who have supervised you directly so they can get some first-hand information.

Note also that it is only the CDTs that have specific application deadlines and start dates. Positions you can apply directly to can pop up at any time. Just keep looking at e.g. findaphd.com
I had a quick look and there are some astronomy related ads up right now.

I suspect a large part of the problem could be that you are applying for a PhD in astronomy...It is not exactly a well funded field and I suspect the number PhD positions will be very limited. There are lots of very good candidates competing for very few positions.

Btw, be a bit careful when you read posts on this forum. Most advice is very US specific (we don't really have "grad schools" in the UK) and much of it won't be applicable to the UK (where the system is very messy...)

1. How can I improve my research experience for a PhD application?

One way to improve your research experience is to actively seek out opportunities for research, such as internships or volunteer positions. You can also participate in research projects or conferences, and consider reaching out to potential supervisors for research collaborations.

2. What can I do to strengthen my academic CV for a PhD application?

To strengthen your academic CV, you can focus on building a strong academic record by achieving high grades in relevant courses and participating in extracurricular activities related to your field of study. You can also consider taking on leadership roles, volunteering, or publishing any research projects you have completed.

3. How important are letters of recommendation for a PhD application?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of a PhD application as they provide insight into your academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from the perspective of someone who has worked closely with you. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak positively about your skills and potential for success in a PhD program.

4. What should I include in my personal statement for a PhD application?

Your personal statement for a PhD application should highlight your research interests, academic background, and relevant experience. It is also important to explain why you are interested in pursuing a PhD and how it aligns with your future career goals. Be sure to also mention any specific skills or achievements that make you a strong candidate for the program.

5. How can I stand out in a highly competitive PhD application process?

To stand out in a competitive PhD application process, you can focus on showcasing your unique skills, experiences, and achievements. This could include highlighting any research projects you have completed, relevant work experience, or leadership roles. Additionally, you can consider reaching out to potential supervisors to discuss your research interests and how they align with their own work.