Advice for Starting Maths for Astronomy Degree

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's preparation for an Astronomy degree and their questions about which math textbooks to use. They mention K.A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics and ask for recommendations for other textbooks. The conversation also touches on the courses needed for an undergraduate degree in Astronomy and the potential job opportunities for Astronomy majors. Suggestions are made for math resources such as Khan Academy and MIT Opencourseware.
NovaeSci
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could advise me?

I'm going to be partaking on an Astronomy degree next year and I'm wanted to get a head-start with Maths. I've only studied up to GCSE level; however, it's been a decade since I was at school.

I have K.A.Stroud's Engineering Mathematics and I'm going to work through the Foundation Topics (Arithmetic, Introduction to Algebra, Expressions and Equations, Graphs, Linear Equations, Polynomial Equations, Binomials, Partial Fractions, Trigonometry, Functions, Trigonometric and Exponential Functions, Differentiation and Integration), if people think this is a good choice? If there are any other good options, it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for something with plenty of question, rather than just 10 and then on to the next section and you end up forgetting a few topics down the road.

What I'm most curious about is what to study after I've studied the Foundation Topics - should I carry on with the rest of Engineering Mathematics? The reason I ask is that I don't want to end up wasting time studying branches of maths I may not need and may be better suited of my time studying something else. If anyone has knowledge of Stroud's book?

I did do a bit of research and I see Riley's Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering and Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences come highly recommended. I took a look at Boas's book, but it says it is suited for someone who already has 1 - 1.5 year of Calculus. So, do people recommend these as the 2 best books to eventually carry on working with, and if so, what textbooks will get me from foundation study and fill in the gaps to be able to start these books?

Of course any substitutions or additional recommendation swill be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Michael

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For an undergrad degree the basics are Calculus 1,2,3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics. The next level would be Advanced Calculus, Boundary Value problems and Vector Analysis.

However, for your degree it would be best for you to look at the course syllabus your Astronomy department puts out or better yet talk to your advisor.

Lastly, please be aware that only 1 in 10 Astronomy majors ever work in Astronomy related jobs. INDEED has listed these 21 jobs for Astronomy majors:

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/jobs-for-astronomy-majors

As you can see, many aren't really in Astronomy but take advantage of some courses and skills you picked up along the way.

And here's more salary+other info on Astronomy:

https://www.environmentalscience.org/career/astronomer

And from the AAS:

https://aas.org/careers/career-in-astronomy

Math book wise, Arfken and Weber is good although many consider it a graduate level book vs Boas for undergrads. However, its good to have around.

Other ideas might be Khan Academy and Mathispower4u for math course videos from high school to first/second year college ie Calculus 1,2,3 Linear Algebra, Differential Equatiosn and Statistics. Beyond that MIT Opencourseware Online or Coursera courses for more advanced math.

1. What math courses should I take before starting an astronomy degree?

Before starting an astronomy degree, it is recommended to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These courses will provide a strong foundation for the mathematical concepts used in astronomy.

2. How important is math in studying astronomy?

Math is a crucial component of studying astronomy. It is used to model and understand physical phenomena in the universe, such as the motion of celestial bodies and the behavior of light. Without a strong understanding of math, it can be challenging to fully comprehend and analyze astronomical data.

3. Are there any specific math skills I should focus on for an astronomy degree?

In addition to the core math courses mentioned above, it is beneficial to have a strong grasp of trigonometry, geometry, and statistics. These skills are frequently used in astronomical calculations and data analysis.

4. How can I improve my math skills for an astronomy degree?

Practicing regularly and seeking help when needed are the best ways to improve math skills for an astronomy degree. You can also try to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems, such as analyzing astronomical data or building models of celestial objects.

5. Is it possible to pursue an astronomy degree without a strong math background?

While it is possible to pursue an astronomy degree without a strong math background, it may be more challenging to understand and excel in the coursework. It is highly recommended to have a solid foundation in math before starting an astronomy degree to ensure academic success.