How useful is the "with Modern Physics" section of Tipler's Physics?

• Intro Physics
  • Thread starter NovaeSci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modern physics
NovaeSci
I originally owned Tipler's Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics; however, after several house moves, it needed a replacement.

So, I bought it again, not realising that the version I bought doesn't have the "Modern Physics" chapters (34-41).

How useful are these sections of the textbook? Is it more like a brief afterthought into the topics you will most likely delve into with much more focused textbooks as part of a Physics degree?

Just to add: I'm an undergraduate, studying an MPhys (Hons) in Physics, who is only just starting to cover the topics in the textbook, so I'm not that far into the degree just yet.

I'm just wondering if these extra sections are really all that useful - as in, when I get to study those topics, specific textbooks catering to those topics might be better suited. The person I bought it off listed it as having Modern Physics; however, for £13, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to send back from not having those sections.

But...I would rather get the opinions of people who know much more about this than I, just in case Tipler's textbook does a good treatment which will definitrly be worth having.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any thanks for any help you can give.

Best wishes,

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
A PhD takes many courses in what would be called "Modern Physics" (I think I took 14) and an elementary-level textbook covers this all in a chapter, perhaps two. So of course it's superficial.

Likes dextercioby
My best course in Modern Physics was taught from a new (in 1972) book by Paul A Tipler called Elementary Modern Physics.. The book and the course were just right...book probably really cheap now.
Thanks to professor Robert Pohl at Cornell and prof Tipler.

hutchphd said:
My best course in Modern Physics was taught from a new (in 1972) book by Paul A Tipler called Elementary Modern Physics.. The book and the course were just right...book probably really cheap now.

It's funny you mention that, as I was also going to ask if it was worth getting Tipler's Modern Physics (link below). I've just googled Elementary Modern Physics, and it seems that Modern Physics is its successor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/142925078X/

Would it definitely be worth getting this book in that case? I'm assuming that it's a more comprehensive overview of the topics in Physics for Scientists and Engineer?

Vanadium 50 said:
A PhD takes many courses in what would be called "Modern Physics" (I think I took 14) and an elementary-level textbook covers this all in a chapter, perhaps two. So of course it's superficial.
Well, it's an extra 8 chapters, but it only spans a couple hundred pages. But, as you said, I guess it probably isn't worth it, compared to learning it from a much more complete source?

hutchphd said:
Well, I'd not buy a textbook on modern physics, which usually covers elementary-particle physics in addition to the introduction to special relativity and quantum mechanics, which predates the complete discovery of the Standard Model.

There were updates I would suppose, probably also cheap. Whats this standard model stuff? (just kidding ! although I am woefully ignorant)

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
I somewhat suspect that the missing "modern physics" chapters may contain a bit of outdated material, especially in the quantum section, which you'd have to unlearn anyway. Only to give an example: inclusion of Bohr's model of the atom.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does the "with Modern Physics" section of Tipler's Physics enhance the overall usefulness of the book?

The "with Modern Physics" section of Tipler's Physics provides an updated and comprehensive understanding of modern physics concepts, theories, and applications. This section covers topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and particle physics, which are essential for understanding the latest advancements in the field of physics.

2. Is the "with Modern Physics" section suitable for beginners or only for advanced readers?

The "with Modern Physics" section is suitable for both beginners and advanced readers. It provides a clear and comprehensive explanation of complex concepts, making it accessible for beginners. At the same time, it also includes advanced topics that can challenge and engage more experienced readers.

3. How does the "with Modern Physics" section compare to other modern physics textbooks?

The "with Modern Physics" section of Tipler's Physics is highly regarded and widely used by students and educators. It is known for its clear and concise explanations, relevant examples, and comprehensive coverage of modern physics topics. It is often considered one of the best modern physics textbooks available.

4. Can the "with Modern Physics" section be used as a standalone textbook?

While the "with Modern Physics" section can be used as a standalone textbook, it is recommended to use it in conjunction with the rest of Tipler's Physics. This will provide a more well-rounded understanding of physics concepts and their applications.

5. Are there any additional resources available for the "with Modern Physics" section?

Yes, there are additional resources available for the "with Modern Physics" section, such as online study guides, practice problems, and interactive simulations. These resources can help deepen understanding and reinforce concepts learned from the textbook.