Advice for Switching from Chem to ChemE

• Thread starter JohnGx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the speaker is a junior Chem major considering changing their major to ChemE and transferring to a different college. They are seeking advice on what courses to take this semester that will transfer to ChemE or help them transition to the major. They are also considering taking Biochem, Advanced Mass Spec, or Inorganic Chem, and are wondering if MechE is a better option. The speaker is also seeking clarification on whether these courses will be transferable. Ultimately, the decision between Chem, ChemE, and MechE will depend on personal preference and career opportunities in the area.
JohnGx
Hello,

I am currently a junior Chem major. I am deciding to change my major to ChemE. However, my college does not offer it and I would like to transfer to another college. I unfortunately did not transfer last semester and I am stuck for the spring. I am about to start the semester really soon and would like some help. What kind of courses should I take this semester so they may be transferred to ChemE or at least help me ease to the major?

I am forced to take a Chem course this semester as well. Is Biochem a good supplemental class? Or an Advanced class in Mass Spec? Or Inorganic Chem? (these are the only options for my year)

Is MechE, which is offered at my current college, a better option? (I am also interested in it)

Physics news on Phys.org
Biochem and inorganic chem will make you a better generalist. You never know in what industry you will be a chemE. Might be a biotech/life science/food company(unless you know that's not what you want). Same for inorganic, different type of chemistry. Many chem companies out there that do either one or the other, many that do both.
I think Adv MS is a very useful course, especially if you were a pure chem student. But it is much more a lab-based expertise. Often companies need people with lots of expertise in spectroscopy, including MS.
Then again, many labs today are now automated, including MS. Same with automated production processes that include MS measuring devices(no idea how common that is).
And if you want to be an engineer specializing in MS equipment, building/designing, then obv it would be a very very useful course.

Will they be transferable? I haven't the slightest idea. You have to ask those that get to make that decision.

Donno what to say about chem vs chemE vs MechE, or what others might say. You have seen what chemistry amounts to by now. It is a personal decision based on personal preference and based on career opportunities there where you live.
If you want to live in an area with a low density of companies in chemistry, that would make it a worse option. Could be a reason to decide on one vs the other.

Likes JohnGx

1. What is the main difference between chemistry and chemical engineering?

Chemistry is a branch of science that focuses on the study of matter and its properties, while chemical engineering is the application of chemistry principles to design and develop processes for large-scale production of chemicals, fuels, and other products.

2. What skills from my chemistry background will be helpful in chemical engineering?

A strong foundation in chemistry principles, such as thermodynamics, kinetics, and material properties, will be beneficial in chemical engineering. Additionally, laboratory skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities are also transferable skills that will be helpful in a chemical engineering career.

3. Will I have to take additional math courses if I switch from chemistry to chemical engineering?

Most chemical engineering programs require a strong background in math, including calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. It is important to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if you will need to take additional math courses.

4. Can I still pursue a career in chemistry with a chemical engineering degree?

Yes, a chemical engineering degree can lead to a career in chemistry, as both fields are closely related. Chemical engineers often work in research and development, process design, and quality control, which are areas that also require a strong understanding of chemistry principles.

5. What career opportunities are available for chemical engineers?

Chemical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, energy, food and beverage, and materials. They can also pursue careers in research and development, process design, production, and management.