Should I do a computer science or math major?

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a computer science degree but is considering switching to a math major. They just finished their sophomore year of college and are transferring universities. The credits will transfer in a way that would allow them to graduate in 3 years with a CS degree or 2 years with a math degree. They find math comes more naturally to them and they get better grades with the same amount of studying. They have a software engineering internship lined up for the summer which will likely influence their decision. Their concern is that there are fewer job opportunities for math compared to CS. They are seeking advice from others on whether it is possible to double major in both math and CS and if anyone has any advice to offer.
glbhuo
I am currently pursuing a computer science degree and am considering if I should switch to a math major. I just finished sophomore year of college , but I am transferring universities, and the way the credits transfer, it would take me 3 more years to get the CS degree but only 2 more for the math degree. On top of that, I find that math comes a lot more naturally to me and I get better grades for the same amount of studying.

I have software engineering internship lined up this summer, so how much I like/dislike that will probably influence my choice later on.

My only concern is that there are fewer jobs opportunities for math than there are with CS, and was wondering if anyone had any advice to offer?

Thank you in advance!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

Is it not possible for you to double major in both math and CS at your university?

Many students have done both (as the two programs complement each other), and those who have backgrounds in both math and CS are often looked upon favourably by employers.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint

1. Should I do a computer science or math major?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Computer science focuses on the study of computers and their applications, while math focuses on the study of numbers, quantities, and patterns. If you enjoy problem-solving and working with technology, then computer science may be a better fit. If you have a strong passion for numbers and theoretical concepts, then math may be the right choice.

2. What are the job prospects for computer science and math majors?

Both computer science and math majors have excellent job prospects in a variety of industries. Computer science majors can pursue careers in software development, data analysis, and cybersecurity, among others. Math majors often find jobs in fields such as finance, statistics, and research. Both majors also have the potential for high-paying salaries.

3. Is one major more difficult than the other?

Both computer science and math majors can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on your strengths and interests. Computer science involves a lot of coding and problem-solving, while math requires a strong understanding of complex concepts and formulas. It's important to consider your strengths and weaknesses when deciding on a major.

4. Can I double major in computer science and math?

It is possible to double major in computer science and math, but it may require a heavy course load and careful planning. Some universities also offer combined majors that incorporate both computer science and math courses. Be sure to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your academic goals.

5. Which major will provide me with better job opportunities?

Both computer science and math majors have a high demand in the job market and can lead to a variety of career opportunities. It's important to consider your interests and skills when making this decision. You may also want to research the job market in your area and see which major aligns with the current job market demands.