Advice Needed for Options after Graduation

• Thread starter mpm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary: I would recommend going for an MS in engineering if you can afford it and you think it will help you in your career. However, if you think you can make it without a graduate degree then go for it! Just make sure you are really passionate about the engineering field and that the program you choose will help you learn more about it.
mpm
I am about to be in my final year of my Undergraduate Degree. My major is Mechanical Engineering with a Minor in Math. I am considering a few options but would like to know people's opinions who have already passed this point in their life.

Here are my 3 possibilities.

Option 1:

Finish my degree. Then continue on immediately afterward and go for my Masters of Science degree in ME.

Option 2:
Finish my degree. Then continue on immediately afterward and go for my Masters in Business Administration.

Option 3:
Try and get a job with my degree. Wait and see if they will pay for a Master's Degree in one of the two previously mentioned.

Option 4:
Get a job. Dont worry with graduate school.

Im just curious as to what path people chose and how it affected them. I realize I probably need to go to graduate school. I am getting a little tired of school though. I haven't had a break once since high school. I should finish my ME degree in 3.5 to 4 years which I think is pretty good. I will probably finish with a GPA around 3.25.

Im also getting a little tired of spending money and not really making any. Debt isn't too much fun.

Does anyone have any opinions on the matter? If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Everyone has an opinion. Here is mine. I would say to go for option 3. There are a few reasons:

1) The money to pay for the MS is definitely a big factor. Grad school is expensive. If you make sure to look out for an employer that has an educational program, why not let someone else pay for it? Plus you will be earning a wage on top of it. That's more time to contribute to a 401k, more time to help pay off the debt you've already incurred.

2) Experience, IMO, takes precedence over a graduate degree in 90% of the cases I have seen. I think you will be surprised to see just how much you really have to learn once in the corporate world.

3) It gives you time to really explore what is out there engineering wise. That will help you in your choice for grad school. I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot by going directly into an MBA. I know a lot of engineers that have MBA's and it didn't do terribly much for them because most businesses are usually top heavy in management. Hold off, see what really interests you and then perhaps find a graduate program in it.

Again, it's my opinion. Get a good sampling of them. Good luck.

I'm in pretty much the same situation, currently favouring option three!

Related to Advice Needed for Options after Graduation

1. What are my options after graduation?

After graduation, you have various options such as pursuing further education, finding a job, starting your own business, or taking a gap year to explore your interests.

2. How do I decide which option is best for me?

It's important to consider your interests, skills, and long-term goals when making this decision. Research different options, talk to professionals in your field of interest, and seek advice from career counselors to help you make an informed decision.

3. Is it necessary to pursue further education after graduation?

It depends on your career goals and the industry you want to work in. Some professions may require a specific degree or certification, while others may value practical experience. Consider your future career aspirations before deciding whether or not to pursue further education.

4. How do I prepare for finding a job after graduation?

Start by updating your resume and building a professional online presence. Research potential employers and job market trends in your field. Utilize your school's career services and network with alumni and professionals in your industry. Practice interviewing and be proactive in seeking job opportunities.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about my career path after graduation?

It's common to feel uncertain about your career path after graduation. Consider taking a gap year to gain experience and explore your interests. You can also seek mentorship or internships in various industries to gain insight and clarity. Don't be afraid to change your career path if needed, it's never too late to pursue your passions.