Advice on building material for a roadable ultralight aircraft

In summary: Finally, keep in mind that while cost is important, you should also consider the aircraft's overall durability when selecting your building materials.
wrzesinski
I am dead set on building my own ultralight aircraft and I need some advice on construction materials.

The aircraft has to weigh less than 254lbs [including engine and prop] and has to support itself, and 500lbs worth of pilot, cargo, fuel, instruments, and eventually a rear wheel drive system that will transfer the power from the propeller to the rear wheels so that the aircraft can be driven to and from the airport [the wings will fold]

other than that the design is completely malleable, I can use any engine+transmission that can drive a prop at 2-3000 rpm then gear down and drive at speeds of up to 55mph. I was thinking about using a Honda cmx250c “rebel 250” engine and modified transmission to supply the power because of its reliability and fuel efficiency. On my rebel it can push me, the bike, my fiance, and 50lbs of groceries down the road at 65mph no problem [total weight around 700lbs] and it can do it all while getting 60mpg [and that's WOT, around town it gets more like 80mpg] the problem with that engine is the fact that it is steel construction and weighs 110lbs wet [including transmission and starter] but if you have a lighter engine with comparable power please let me know.

I need help choosing a cost effective yet weight effective building material that will still yield a safe aircraft. I was thinking square aluminum tubing for the body and round aluminum tubing or the wings [since the stress on the wings will be pretty much omnidirectional in flight, and square tubing isn't built for that kind of stress] but if you have a better idea I would be more than willing to try it instead.

I am trying to keep costs down as I am low on cash [but if I have to I will build the craft a little at a time until it is complete] so keep that in mind.

I have started a blog to document my build, it isn't much at the moment but I am working on posting on it fairly regularly.

Here is the link: http://thefreeflightproject.wordpress.com/

again, any help is greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks! For your ultralight aircraft, you should consider using lightweight aluminum alloys such as 2024-T3 or 6061-T6. These materials are strong and offer a good strength-to-weight ratio, making them ideal for applications such as aircraft construction. For the body of your aircraft, you can use square aluminum tubing, while for the wings, round aluminum tubing will be more suitable due to its omnidirectional strength properties. Additionally, you can also look into using composite materials such as carbon fiber or Kevlar reinforced with epoxy resin for areas of your aircraft where strength is required without adding too much weight.

1. What are the most important factors to consider when selecting building materials for a roadable ultralight aircraft?

The most important factors to consider are weight, strength, durability, cost, and availability. The materials used must be lightweight to ensure the aircraft remains within the weight limit for ultralight aircraft. They must also be strong enough to withstand the stresses of flight and road travel, as well as be durable enough to withstand weather and other external factors. Cost and availability are also important considerations as they can greatly impact the overall cost and feasibility of the project.

2. What are some commonly used materials for building a roadable ultralight aircraft?

Some commonly used materials include aluminum alloys, composite materials such as carbon fiber, and wood. Each material has its own unique properties and benefits, so it's important to carefully consider which material best suits your specific needs and budget.

3. Are there any materials that should be avoided when building a roadable ultralight aircraft?

Yes, there are some materials that should be avoided, such as steel or other heavy metals. These materials are too heavy and will add unnecessary weight to the aircraft, making it difficult to meet the weight limitations for ultralight aircraft. Additionally, materials such as wood that are prone to warping or rotting should also be avoided.

4. How important is it to follow building regulations and guidelines when selecting materials for a roadable ultralight aircraft?

It is extremely important to follow building regulations and guidelines when selecting materials for a roadable ultralight aircraft. These regulations are in place for safety reasons and failing to comply with them could result in a dangerous or even fatal aircraft accident. It is crucial to thoroughly research and understand all regulations and guidelines before beginning the construction process.

5. Can I use unconventional or experimental materials for building a roadable ultralight aircraft?

While it is possible to use unconventional or experimental materials, it is not recommended. These materials may not have been tested or approved for use in aircraft construction and could pose a safety risk. It is best to stick to well-tested and proven materials to ensure the safety and reliability of your aircraft.