Advice on some astro questions?

• Thread starter ak2478
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astro
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of hydrogen and helium recombination, specifically at a redshift of approximately z=1200, with recombination starting at z=1600. It also explores the ratio of hydrogen-ionizing photons to hydrogen atoms and the ratio of helium-ionizing photons to helium atoms at z=1600. The conversation also delves into an alternative origin of helium and the energy released per unit volume in the universe due to fusion within stars. Additionally, it discusses modified nucleosynthesis and the maximum possible mass fraction of helium in the universe. Finally, it touches on the topic of reionization and the value of zr required to explain the electron scattering probability measured by the WMAP satellite.
ak2478
1. Hydrogen and Helium recombination
Hydrogen recombines at a redshift of approximately z=1200, with recombination starting already at z=1600.
a. What was the ratio of the number density of hydrogen-ionizing photons (i.e. photons with energies E > 13.6eV) to the number density of hydrogen atoms at z=1600? Explain why this ratio does not have to equal unity at recombination.
b. What was the ratio of the number density of helium-ionizing photons (i.e. photons with energies E>24.6eV) to the number density of helium atoms at z=1600? Does your answer imply that helium recombines before or after hydrogen?
For this problem, assume the following: at the present day, baryons contribute a fraction Ωb=0.04 of the critical density, of which YH = 76% by mass is hydrogen, and YHe = 24% is helium. Assume a Hubble constant Ho = 7- km/s/Mpc. The temperature of the CMB today is To=2.725K.
2. Alternative Origin of Helium and CMB
It was shown that the “hot big bang” model explains the origin and mass fraction of cosmic helium, as well as the presence of the CMB. Suppose, however, that the universe instead consisted originally of hydrogen alone, and that all of the observed helium (with a mass fraction of YHe = 24%) was created by fusion inside starts. How much energy was released per unit volume in the universe as a result of this helium fusion? Suppose that all of this energy is now in the form of radiation. Compare the resulting energy density to the present-day energy density of the CMB. Could the helium fusion account for the present-day CMB based on the energy density alone? Can you think of additional problems for this being the origin of the CMB? (Note: 4He has a total binding energy of 28.3 MeV.)
3. Modified Nucleosynthesis
We estimated the maximum possible mass fraction of helium, YHe,max in the universe, by assuming that at the time of nucleosysnthesis, all available neutrons were converted into 4He nuclei. Suppose that the neutron decay time, τn = 890s, was ten times shorter, τn = 89s. What would be the value of YHe,max ? (Hint: nucleosynthesis occurred approximately 200 seconds after neutron-proton freeze-out).
4. Reionization
Recent observations by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite showed that approximately 10% of the CMB photons suffered a scattering with an electron on their way from redshift z=1100 to Earth. The explanations of this result may be that the universe is kept fully ionized by starlight at all reshifts below zr. What is the value of zr required to explain the electron scattering probability measured by WMAP? This would have to correspond to the epoch when the first stars were formed. For simplicity, assume a flat, Ω1 = 1 universe with Ωb = 0.04 and Ho = 70km/s/Mpc. Compute zr by assuming that all of the hydrogen is ionized, but all of the helium is neutral, throughout the entire interval 0<z<zr. How does your answer change if you assume instead that all of the helium is in doubly ionized (He++) form? (Note: the Thomson cross-section is σT = 6.65x 10^-25 cm2.)

If anyone can help me with any these that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are clearly homework questions. I'll move to the homework forum- please show your work in order to get some help.

Take it a question at a time, what are your thoughts about number 1?

Thoughts on number 1

for number 1:

i know that number density = energy density/rest energy

i have attempted to start with the black body spectrum equation

i think my plan for this problem is to go from mass density --> to baryon density --> then to number density of hydrogen.

I keep playing with the equations but nothing seems to go together, i always seem to have way to many variables.

advice?

Related to Advice on some astro questions?

What is the difference between astrology and astronomy?

Astrology is a belief system that suggests that the positions and movements of celestial objects can influence human affairs and personality traits. Astronomy, on the other hand, is a scientific study of these celestial objects and their properties.

Can astrology be considered a reliable source of advice?

No, astrology is not considered a reliable source of advice as there is no scientific evidence to support its claims. The predictions made by astrologers are often vague and open to interpretation, making it difficult to validate their accuracy.

What is the role of the zodiac signs in astrology?

The zodiac signs are a part of astrology that divides the sky into twelve equal segments based on the Earth's orbit around the Sun. Each sign is associated with specific personality traits and characteristics, according to astrological beliefs.

Do astrological events, such as retrogrades and eclipses, have any impact on our lives?

No, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that astrological events have any influence on our lives. These events are simply natural occurrences in the sky that hold no significance in terms of human affairs or behavior.

Can astrology be used to predict future events?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that astrology can predict future events. Any predictions made by astrologers are based on speculation and are not reliable or accurate.