Advices/help for mouldable crankcase in Solidworks (assembly+screens)

• Thread starter Jperf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solidworks
In summary, a student from France in Mechanical Engineering is seeking advice on Solidworks software for a project involving a rising screw assembly and a moulded crankcase. Their design appears to be correct, but they are unsure if the crankcase is mouldable with the necessary cores. They are also concerned about potential issues with the movement of the wheel and screw.
Jperf
Hello, I am new here, I am a student from France in Mechanical Engineering, I need some advices/help in Solidworks software, here is the deal (sorry if it's the wrong section) :

I am currently designing an assembly for a rising screw (yellow on the sheme) the only possible movment for it is translation,the wheel (red) is holding this thing.
Around,I made a moulded crankcase I'd like you to tell me if it's mouldable with some cores and if I made mistakes in my assembly. Here is my work:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1488/88436881.th.jpg http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1887/66752903.th.jpg http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2799/95830873.th.jpg http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2339/26045421.th.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5634/sanstitreim.th.jpg moulded crankcase

Sorry for my english and thank you for reading and helping me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the design of your assembly is correct. The only suggestion I have is to make sure that there is enough room for the wheel and the rising screw to move freely. If there isn't enough space, you may have to make some adjustments to the geometry of the parts in order to make sure they don't bind or jam. As far as the moulding goes, it's hard to tell without seeing the actual part, but if you can create the necessary cavities and cores, then the part should be able to be moulded.

Hello, it's great to see that you are using Solidworks for your mechanical engineering project. As a fellow scientist, I would be happy to provide some advice and help for your mouldable crankcase design.

First of all, it's important to make sure that your design is manufacturable and can be easily assembled. In terms of moulding, you have to consider the draft angles and undercuts in your design. Draft angles are necessary to allow the moulded part to be easily removed from the mould. Undercuts, on the other hand, can cause problems during moulding and may require additional features in the mould to accommodate them.

Looking at your design, I can see that you have already added draft angles to your crankcase. This is a good start, but I would recommend checking all surfaces for draft angles to ensure that the part can be easily moulded without any issues.

In addition, it's important to consider the material properties and the part geometry when designing for moulding. Different materials have different shrinkage rates, so it's important to take this into account when designing your part. Also, sharp corners and edges should be avoided as they can cause stress concentration and potential failure during the moulding process.

As for your assembly, it looks like you have a solid design. However, I would suggest adding some fillets or chamfers to your part edges to reduce stress concentrations and improve the overall strength of the assembly.

Overall, your design looks promising and with some minor adjustments, it should be mouldable. I would recommend consulting with a manufacturing expert or conducting a mould flow analysis to ensure that your design is optimized for moulding.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Advices/help for mouldable crankcase in Solidworks (assembly+screens)

1. How do I create a mouldable crankcase in Solidworks?

To create a mouldable crankcase in Solidworks, you will first need to design the crankcase as an assembly using the various features and tools available. Once the assembly is complete, you can use the 'Mold Tools' feature to create a cavity for the crankcase. You can adjust the draft angles, parting line, and other parameters to ensure the mouldability of the crankcase.

2. Can I simulate the moulding process in Solidworks?

Yes, Solidworks has a 'Mold Flow Simulation' tool that allows you to simulate the moulding process for your crankcase design. This will help you identify any potential issues or defects in the moulding process and make necessary adjustments to ensure a successful moulding process.

3. What are the best practices for designing a mouldable crankcase in Solidworks?

Some best practices for designing a mouldable crankcase in Solidworks include using proper draft angles, avoiding undercuts, and ensuring uniform wall thickness. You should also consider the type of moulding process (e.g. injection moulding, compression moulding) and design your crankcase accordingly.

4. How can I ensure the strength and durability of the mouldable crankcase?

To ensure the strength and durability of the mouldable crankcase, you should use appropriate materials and consider the loading conditions it will be subjected to. You can also use Solidworks' 'Simulation' tool to perform stress analysis and validate the design before moulding.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for designing a mouldable crankcase in Solidworks?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for designing a mouldable crankcase in Solidworks. You can also refer to Solidworks' official documentation and user forums for tips and guidance. Additionally, you can consult with experienced colleagues or seek professional help if needed.