Unsure of which Master's Program to Pursue

In summary, the speaker is a final year Mechanical Engineering undergraduate student who has participated in clubs and research related to aerospace. They are now unsure whether to pursue a Master's degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering and are concerned about employability. They are interested in working in the aerospace industry and are considering supplementing a Master's in Aerospace with courses in heat transfer, kinematics, and composites. They are also considering a Master's in Mechanical Engineering with a focus on fluid and aerodynamics research. The speaker believes a Master's degree is a good time to specialize and is leaning towards pursuing a career in the aerospace industry.
AeroMstrs0516
Hello,

I'm entering my final year of Mechanical Engineering undergrad. I've always had interest in aerospace like most others, but opted to avoid overspecializing at the beginning. During my undergrad career I've participated in clubs involving space and satellites, and I participated in research during my semesters in fluid dynamics for a year, and I'm working as a summer student researcher in aerodynamics and flow control. Essentially supplementing the Mechanical Engineering experience with exposure to aerospace. But now I'm unsure whether to pursue Aerospace or Mechanical Master's. My interests were initially aerodynamics but they're now slowly broadening and I'm interested in a lot of things in the Aerospace industry (or even other industries like automotive, but my passion still lies mostly in aerospace), and I want to keep my options open. I'm asking because the universities which I am looking at has both aerospace and mechanical engineering graduate departments and I can only apply to one of them.

My concern is employability, so would it matter if I chose either ME or AE for a Master's program? Aerospace degree is obviously not as versatile as Mechanical, but would I still face such problems Aerospace majors face, considering I would already have a Mechanical Bachelor's? What is the difference, if I was to pursue a Master's in Aerospace supplemented with courses in heat transfer/kinematics/composites, than compared to a Master's in Mechanical but focusing on fluid/aero dynamics research? Is it safe, employment wise, to simply pursue a Master's in Aerospace strictly focused on Aero knowing I already have a Mechanical background to fall to if I cannot get my foot in the aero industry rightaway? I'm looking to work in industry rather than academia. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my humble opinion I think a masters degree is a good moment to start specializing, because I think you will not have much time afterwards. The point is: do you want to work on aerospace engeneering related position? If so I think you should take into account how good you are and if you will be able to do it. Because if you keep staying in mechanical engeneering it is more likely that though, according to your words you will find it easier to find a job, it will be in something probably less related to aerospace industry. I don't know if I made myself clear, but I would go for aerospace

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a Master's program?

When considering which Master's program to pursue, it is important to think about your career goals, interests, and strengths. You should also research the reputation and accreditation of the program, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the curriculum and course offerings, and any opportunities for hands-on experience or research.

2. How do I determine if a Master's program is the right fit for me?

To determine if a Master's program is the right fit for you, it is helpful to attend program information sessions, speak with current students or alumni, and review the program's course requirements and learning outcomes. You can also consider your personal learning style and whether the program's teaching methods align with it.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a Master's degree?

Pursuing a Master's degree can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in your field of study, as well as enhance your career prospects and earning potential. It can also open up opportunities for networking, research, and leadership positions.

4. Can I pursue a Master's program in a different field than my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's program in a different field than your undergraduate degree. Some programs may require prerequisite courses or relevant work experience, but many programs welcome students with diverse backgrounds and interests.

5. How can I finance my Master's degree?

There are various options for financing a Master's degree, including scholarships, grants, loans, and assistantships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on, as well as consider the cost of tuition and living expenses when choosing a program.