Aerospace Eng. Student Struggling with Blended Wing Body Design

In summary, the speaker is an aerospace engineering student working on a program for blended wing body aircraft design. They are having trouble using the Tornado program and are asking for help and advice from others who may have had similar issues. They clarify that they are not asking for any paid program, but rather an open-source code version of Tornado. They also assure that their request is not against any laws or regulations.
b90sz
Hello everyone! I'm a aerospace engineering student. I'm working in my own program for blended wing body aircraft parameterized design.

I'm triyed to use Tornado program but it doesn't even allow me to setup the geometry, after introducing the chord the program goes in a bucle and when I stop it (ctrl+c) it shows:

" In main (line 127)
[geo]=inpt18(geo); %New input function called. TM20070329 "

Does anyone have the same problem, and know the solution.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
b90sz said:
Hello everyone! I'm a aerospace engineering student. I'm working in my own program for blended wing body aircraft parameterized design.

I want to use the code of the program Tornado, to obtain the aerodynamic coefficient and derivates,but the version of the program I've gotten from the oficial site doesn't work well (at least for me). When I'm trying to setup the geometry after introducing the chord the program goes in a bucle.

I was wondering if any of you could send me a version of the program. Doesn't matter if aparently is the same as in the page (T135), hopefully it will work and you will save my butt.

Also if you have any advice or code available I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

<< e-mail address deleted by Moderator >>

Welcome to the PF.

What do you mean by "send you the program"? Is this something that should be paid for?

Not at all, the Tornado program is an opensource program (code) distributed according to the GNU-Open license protocol.

I'm not familiar witht the specific rules of this site, but my request is not at all against the law.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is a blended wing body design in aerospace engineering?

A blended wing body design is a type of aircraft configuration where the fuselage and wings are seamlessly integrated into one continuous shape, resulting in a wing that is more elliptical in shape rather than the traditional triangular shape. This design allows for increased fuel efficiency, reduced noise, and increased payload capacity.

2. What are the main challenges faced by aerospace engineering students when working on blended wing body design?

Some of the main challenges include understanding the aerodynamics of the blended wing body design, optimizing the design for efficiency and stability, and ensuring structural integrity. Additionally, the use of advanced materials and manufacturing techniques may also present challenges for students.

3. How do aerospace engineering students approach the design process for a blended wing body aircraft?

The design process typically involves conducting extensive research and analysis, creating computer models and simulations, and testing prototypes in wind tunnels or through virtual simulations. Students must also consider various design factors such as weight, drag, lift, and stability to ensure a successful design.

4. What are some potential applications of blended wing body design in the aerospace industry?

Blended wing body aircraft have the potential to be used in various applications, including commercial airliners, military aircraft, and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). They can also be adapted for space exploration and could potentially be used for hypersonic flight in the future.

5. How does the blended wing body design compare to other aircraft configurations in terms of performance?

The blended wing body design offers several advantages over traditional aircraft configurations, including increased fuel efficiency, reduced noise, and increased payload capacity. However, it may also have some limitations in terms of maneuverability and structural complexity compared to other designs. Overall, the performance of the blended wing body design depends on the specific application and design goals.