Aerospace Engineering Reading Material for a Newbie

In summary: The flank steak, for sure; tastes like chicken. On the other hand, the ribs come with built-in dental floss.
PraAnan
In the future I would really like to enroll in an aerospace engineering course and I was wondering if there are any good books out there which cover the important parts of this discipline?

I came across the following page which contains some of the topics that will be taught in university (at least at this particular one) http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/Aerospace-Engineering-BEng_structure.cfm
Are there books which cover the whole range? I don't need them to go into full detail.

I'd like to buy a maximum of 3 books so advice is welcome.

There also seems to be a lot of new online courses as well as lecture videos, so are there any good aerospace ones available?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anderson's Introduction to Flight is a common text used for introductory aerospace engineering courses, and give a brief overview of the major disciplines.

jhae2.718 said:
Anderson's Introduction to Flight is a common text used for introductory aerospace engineering courses, and give a brief overview of the major disciplines.

Thanks for letting me know about this book, a lot of people give it good reviews. I'll definitely be buying this.

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics - Anderson
Elements of Propulsion; Gas Turbines and Rockets - Mattingly
Aircraft Engine Design - Mattingly, Heiser, Pratt
Aircraft Performance and Design - Anderson
Aircraft Structures for Engineering Students - Megson

This might sound a little odd. I'm writing from the perspective of a (now grounded) pilot with no formal education. Reading a lot of "Private Pilot", "Plane and Pilot" or similar magazines might help because it will give you a user's-eye view of how things work. If you can afford it, even take a couple of introductory flight lessons. That's how I started: $5.00 and a coupon from the magazine got me my first half hour lesson.
Learning to fly involves a lot of the details of what keeps an iron bird in the air.

Danger said:
This might sound a little odd. I'm writing from the perspective of a (now grounded) pilot with no formal education. Reading a lot of "Private Pilot", "Plane and Pilot" or similar magazines might help because it will give you a user's-eye view of how things work. If you can afford it, even take a couple of introductory flight lessons. That's how I started: $5.00 and a coupon from the magazine got me my first half hour lesson.
Learning to fly involves a lot of the details of what keeps an iron bird in the air.

"Stick goes forward, houses get bigger. Stick goes back, houses get smaller."?

jhae2.718 said:
"Stick goes forward, houses get bigger. Stick goes back, houses get smaller."?

Well it's actually more of "stick controls speed; throttle controls altitude".
Unless back with the Sopwiths, when it was "pull the stick back to go up; pull it back some more to come down."

Danger said:
Well it's actually more of "stick controls speed; throttle controls altitude".
Unless back with the Sopwiths, when it was "pull the stick back to go up; pull it back some more to come down."

I've always wanted to know, what tastes better: Brontosaurus flank steak or Woolly Mammoth baby back ribs?

AIR&SPACE said:
I've always wanted to know, what tastes better: Brontosaurus flank steak or Woolly Mammoth baby back ribs?

The flank steak, for sure; tastes like chicken. On the other hand, the ribs come with built-in dental floss.

What is Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace Engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the study of aerodynamics, propulsion systems, materials science, and control systems to create safe and efficient flying machines.

What are the basic principles of Aerospace Engineering?

The basic principles of Aerospace Engineering include aerodynamics, which is the study of how air flows around objects; propulsion, which is the study of how to generate thrust to move an aircraft or spacecraft; and structures, which is the study of how to design and build strong and lightweight components to withstand the forces of flight.

What are the main components of an aircraft?

The main components of an aircraft include the fuselage, which is the main body of the aircraft; the wings, which provide lift and stability; the tail, which helps control the direction of the aircraft; and the power plant, which generates the thrust to move the aircraft.

What are the different types of aircraft?

There are many different types of aircraft, including commercial airliners, military fighter jets, helicopters, and private planes. There are also different categories of aircraft, such as fixed-wing, rotary-wing, and hybrid aircraft.

What are some good resources for learning about Aerospace Engineering?

There are many resources available for learning about Aerospace Engineering, including books, online courses, and educational videos. Some recommended resources for beginners include "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr., "Aircraft Systems: Mechanical, Electrical, and Avionics Subsystems Integration" by Ian Moir and Allan Seabridge, and "Aerospace Engineering: From the Ground Up" by Ben Senson.