Aerospace Engineering Subfields -- Which ones should I focus on?

In summary: Aerodynamics1. Compressible Flow2. Aerodynamics3. Advanced Fluid Mechanics4. Aerodynamics of Viscous Fluid5. Aerothermodynamics of Propulsion6. Aircraft Structural Dynamics7. Fracture Mechanics8.Structural Health Monitoring9. Advanced Mechanics of Materials10. Smart Structures and MaterialsControls1. Feedback Control Systems2. Multivariable Control Systems3. Stohastic Control4. Aircraft Stability and Control5. Nolinear Control Systems and Dynamics6. Adaptive ControlPropulsion1. Gas Turbines2. Rocket Propulsion Systems3. Tur
Vissarion
Summary:: Aerospace Engineering Subfield

I am Sttudying Aerospacce Engineering and I must Follow a specific Subfield of Aerospace Engineering

The main Course Structure of each Field is:

Structures and Materials
1. Mechanical Behavior of Materials
2. Lightweight Aerostructures
3. Advanced Elasticity
4. Finite Elemnets Method for Structural Analysis
5. Mechanics of Composite Materials
6. Aircraft Structural Dynamics
7. Fracture Mechanics
8.Structural Health Monitoring
9. Advanced Mechanics of Materials
10. Smart Structures and Materials

Controls
1. Feedback Control Systems
2. Multivariable Control Systems
3. Stohastic Control
4. Aircraft Stability and Control
5. Nolinear Control Systems and Dynamics
6. Adaptive Control

Propulsion
1. Gas Turbines
2. Rocket Propulsion Systems
3. Turbomachinery
4. Internal Combustion Engines
5. Electric Propulsion
6. Sustainable Systems
7. Advanced Aerodynamics

Aerodynamics

1. Compressible Flow
2. Aerodynamics
3. Advanced Fluid Mechanics
4. Aerodynamics of Viscous Fluid
5. Aerothermodynamics of Propulsion

I searched a lot for all of these courses Structures and Subfields but is extremely Difficult for me to decide what is the direction I should take. I like things from all the subfields. So i would like to hear opinions about which is the '' best '' for the future to make a more clear decision in my mind beceause I am really confused about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Are you first year at university now, or about to enter?

Do you know what types of jobs in Aerospace you would like to pursue? Like, are there any large Aero companies in your area or an area where you would like to live?

I think that there will be interesting developments in all those fields in the future. I can not legitimately make comparisons since I did not get a degree in any Aerospace field and only worked in a control law group. I can say that I expect the field of control laws to be very active in the foreseeable future because of the development of autonomous and unmanned vehicles. It is also nice that you can dabble in artificial intelligence with low-cost robots and hardware. Beyond that, sometimes our own talents make the selection for us. Don't be surprised if the field you start in remains difficult for you while another one seems relatively obvious. Don't be afraid to follow your god-given talents and make the switch.

Hi,

I am in Second year of Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics, Univeraity of Patras in Greece. My main goal for the future is to go deep in Aerospace Engineering and doing a phD and Become a Researcher or in a University or in a Company. I know that is something Difficult but l will try my best to make it because is my dream. My University is mainly Mechanical Engineering focused Department with 5 years of Studying. At the last 2 years of there is the option to go into aerospace Engineering or you can continue to an other MEch Subfield. The aerospace Engineering Subjects are these:
1. Aerodynamics
2. Analysis of Aircraft Structures
3. Aircraft Design
4. Aircraft Structural Dynamics
5. Finite Elements Analysis for Aerospace Engineers
6. Propulsion Systems
7. Aerospace Materials
8. Flight Mechanics and Control
9. Fatigue of Aerostructures
10. Compressible Flow
11. Space Propulsion
12. Aerospace Noise and Control
13. Space Tecnologies
14. Manufacturing of Aircrafts

and Some others more advanced topics. If I will select to go with Aero I must study all of these subjects. My problem So is this: My university has a very good research Activity in Europe with others universities ( ex Delft ) on Structures and Materials in Mech direction with these Subjects:

1. Wave Propagation
2. Finite element method for Stuctural Analysis
3. Composite Structures
4. Design with Fault Torenace
5. Non Destructive Evaluation of Structures and Materials
6. Structural Dynamics and Vibrations
7. Fracture Mechanics
8. Computational Mechanics of Materiasl
9. Experimental Characterization of Composite Materials and Others
10. Design with Composite Materials
11. Fatigue of Structures

So I have these options and I am Confused:

Option 1: Go to Aerospace Direction and Parallel I will Study more focused some subfield by my one and then go to abroad for Continuing what I want. But what to Follow? I have Search and Ilike things from all Staff. Which Subfield is the best for reasearch now and for the future?

Option 2: Go to Mech with Structures and Materials which wiil be for two years more Focused and Spesializing in this Area from the first time. But are Structures and Materials the future for Aerospace ? Is a good choice to Continue then to an University of Abroad ( ec USA).

Thanks for your Help and sorry for my English ! I know that my thoughts are Extremely Confused

OP: I'll ask the obvious question: Do you have an advisor in your department, one who knows the specifics of your program choices? If not, have you at least spoken to your professors?

Likes FactChecker
Vissarion said:
Structures and Materials
Controls
Propulsion
Aerodynamics
One hit the main subgroups, excluding the atmosphere (biosphere) within a craft.

Propulsion also involves aerodynamics related to compressed air in the engine for combustion or propulsion, as opposed to the aerodynamics on the wings and control surfaces. Propulsion and structures/materials also apply to the turbomachinery.

Which one(s) does one find interesting? Perhaps select one of most interest, or perhaps two of most interest.

Vissarion said:
Summary:: Aerospace Engineering Subfield

I am Sttudying Aerospacce Engineering and I must Follow a specific Subfield of Aerospace Engineering

The main Course Structure of each Field is:

Structures and Materials
1. Mechanical Behavior of Materials
2. Lightweight Aerostructures
3. Advanced Elasticity
4. Finite Elemnets Method for Structural Analysis
5. Mechanics of Composite Materials
6. Aircraft Structural Dynamics
7. Fracture Mechanics
8.Structural Health Monitoring
9. Advanced Mechanics of Materials
10. Smart Structures and Materials

Controls
1. Feedback Control Systems
2. Multivariable Control Systems
3. Stohastic Control
4. Aircraft Stability and Control
5. Nolinear Control Systems and Dynamics
6. Adaptive Control

Propulsion
1. Gas Turbines
2. Rocket Propulsion Systems
3. Turbomachinery
4. Internal Combustion Engines
5. Electric Propulsion
6. Sustainable Systems
7. Advanced Aerodynamics

Aerodynamics

1. Compressible Flow
2. Aerodynamics
3. Advanced Fluid Mechanics
4. Aerodynamics of Viscous Fluid
5. Aerothermodynamics of Propulsion

I searched a lot for all of these courses Structures and Subfields but is extremely Difficult for me to decide what is the direction I should take. I like things from all the subfields. So i would like to hear opinions about which is the '' best '' for the future to make a more clear decision in my mind beceause I am really confused about it.
hi,
I want to start studying aeronautical engineering and I don't know where to start.
Should I start with Engineering? Is it going to lead me there or Mechanical engineering or >>>?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, thulani!
What have you studied so far?
What specific field within aeronautical engineering do you like the most?

Some general advice:
As an undergraduate, it's better to stay as general as you can for as long as you can. I think a lot of undergraduates can get excited about fancy titles. It can sound really impressive to know exactly what you're doing. But the job market today might not be the same as the job market you graduate into. The hot research topics today might not be as hot in a few years. And you might not enjoy a particular sub-field as much as you think you might.

If you have to chose one of those directions, you might want to lean more towards those areas that have applications outside of aerospace. The materials option, for example, I would think likely to have a lot of applications both within the aerospace industry and outside of it. You would graduate with a diverse skill set that could be applied in many different sectors, and this can give you flexibility in terms of a long term career. Similar with controls. Maybe less so with aerodynamics (caveat - I'm not in the aerospace field so take this with a grain of salt).

Likes FactChecker and Lnewqban
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, thulani!
What have you studied so far?
What specific field within aeronautical engineering do you like the most?
I'm a student and I have a choice to either start with mechanical engineering or Engineering as Aeronautical is not an option so I don't know which to start.
Mostly I would say propulsion and aerodynamics.

1. What are the different subfields of aerospace engineering?

The main subfields of aerospace engineering are aeronautical engineering and astronautical engineering. Aeronautical engineering focuses on the design and development of aircraft, while astronautical engineering deals with spacecraft and other objects that operate outside of the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Which subfield should I focus on for a career in the aerospace industry?

This depends on your interests and career goals. If you are interested in designing and building aircraft, aeronautical engineering would be a good choice. If you are more interested in space exploration and spacecraft design, then astronautical engineering would be a better fit.

3. Are there any other subfields of aerospace engineering besides aeronautical and astronautical engineering?

Yes, there are other subfields, such as avionics engineering, propulsion engineering, and materials engineering. Avionics engineering focuses on the electronics and computer systems used in aircraft and spacecraft, while propulsion engineering deals with the engines and propulsion systems. Materials engineering involves the development of new materials for use in aerospace applications.

4. What skills are important for success in the different subfields of aerospace engineering?

Regardless of the specific subfield, strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for success in aerospace engineering. Additionally, knowledge of aerodynamics, mechanics, and computer-aided design (CAD) are important for aeronautical engineering, while knowledge of orbital mechanics and spacecraft systems is crucial for astronautical engineering.

5. Can I specialize in more than one subfield of aerospace engineering?

Yes, it is possible to specialize in more than one subfield. Many aerospace engineers have knowledge and experience in both aeronautical and astronautical engineering. Additionally, some engineers may specialize in a specific area within a subfield, such as aircraft structures or rocket propulsion.