After Boas's Mathematical Methods?

In summary, the conversation was about finding a more advanced version of Mary Boas's Mathematical Methods and discussing various topics related to mathematics and physics such as uniqueness and existence theorems for boundary value problems, Green's functions, Sturm-Liouville theory, differential forms, group theory, and adjoints. Several recommendations were given for further reading on these topics, including books such as "Arken", "Jackson", "Byron and Fuller", "Courant and Hilbert", "Joshi", "Tinkham", "Wu Ki Tung", "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds", "Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity", and "Differential Geometry, Gauge Theories, and Gravity".
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

Is there a more advanced version of Mary Boas's Mathematical Methods? Specifically, these are some topics I would like to learn more about and work through problems on:

1. Uniqueness and Existence theorems boundary value problems with 2nd order PDEs of elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic type
2. Green's functions for general boundary value problems with 2nd order PDEs of elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic type, including the conditions for the Green's function on the boundary
3. Sturm-Liouville theory (I picked up the theorems, but I would like to test my knowledge on problems)
4. Differential forms
5. Group theory (for physicists)
6. Adjoints, exponential formulae like BCH, and all that jazz

I was thinking that maybe a combination of Arken for 3,4,5 and Jackson for 1,2. (I know Jackson is an E&M text, but I first learned about the general conditions to use a Green's functions in a given boundary value problem for Poisson's equation in a borrowed copy of that book, so I am hoping it might have a similar discussion of the wave equation, at least, from which I may be able to get the gist of the general case.) Should I be looking at Hilbert-Courant?

Physics news on Phys.org
1-3 are covered in Byron and Fuller as well as Courant and Hilbert.

Differential forms: I cannot tell you.

Group Theory, there is a multitude of threads here about that, I recommend Joshi, Tinkham then Wu Ki Tung in that order.

Adjoints etc: again not a clue

I have several recommendations for differential geometry / forms:
For a classical dg text, you can try "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds".
For a more physics oriented text (specifically relativity), see "Differential Forms and the Geometry of General Relativity". This is a good book to see some computations with forms used in relativity
Lastly, a text I highly recommend for a lot of geometry used in physics is "Differential Geometry, Gauge Theories, and Gravity" (covers topics such as exterior algebra, differential forms, metrics, gauge theories, GR, manifolds, lie groups/algebras, and bundle theory)

Last edited:

1. What are the main concepts covered in Boas's Mathematical Methods?

Boas's Mathematical Methods covers a wide range of topics in mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. It also includes important concepts such as vector calculus, Fourier series, and partial differential equations.

2. How is Boas's Mathematical Methods different from other math textbooks?

Boas's Mathematical Methods is unique in its approach to teaching mathematics. It emphasizes problem-solving and real-world applications, rather than just theory and abstract concepts. It also includes historical context and biographical information on mathematicians, making it a more engaging and interesting read.

3. Is Boas's Mathematical Methods suitable for beginners?

While Boas's Mathematical Methods can be challenging for beginners, it is a comprehensive and well-structured textbook that can be used by students with varying levels of mathematical knowledge. It includes clear explanations and examples, making it accessible for those new to the subject.

4. Are there any online resources available to supplement Boas's Mathematical Methods?

Yes, there are several online resources available to supplement Boas's Mathematical Methods. The author has a website that includes additional practice problems and solutions, as well as interactive applets to help visualize concepts. There are also many online forums and study groups where students can discuss the material and ask for help.

5. How can I use Boas's Mathematical Methods to prepare for exams?

Boas's Mathematical Methods is a great resource for exam preparation. It includes numerous practice problems and exercises, as well as review sections at the end of each chapter. It is also recommended to work through the examples and understand the concepts rather than memorizing formulas, as this will help in solving more complex problems on the exam.