Alternatives to Mary Boas Math Methods Book

• Thread starter Orodruin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boas
In summary, the book you are looking for is Mathematical Methods for Physics by Wyld. It is a bit more advanced than Boas, but Ch. 8 is dedicated to Green's functions with Poisson's equation in Section 8.7.
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am looking to replace the book I am using in a mathematical methods in physics course I am teaching. We currently use a more mathematical book in Swedish and it is missing some content which we would like to include. I had my eyes on the mathematical methods book by Mary Boas but it is kind of brief (hardly even mentions in the 3rd edition) on the Green's function side. A work-around would of course be to hand out extra lecture notes on the subject, but it is something I would prefer not to do. Does anyone know of a good alternative with more or less the same level, but including more content on Green's functions (solutions for the Poisson equation in 2 and 3D, mirroring techniques, etc)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try "Mathematics for Physics" by Stone and Goldbart, I just briefly looked through it and Chapter 5 (about 35 pages or so) is dedicated to Green's functions. And another albeit older source would be "Mathematical Methods for Phyics" by Wyld. Its a bit more advanced than Boas but Ch. 8 is dedicated to Green's functions with Poisson's equation in Section 8.7.

Hope this helps.

Likes Orodruin
Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked briefly at Stone & Goldbart and I like the content, but perhaps a bit too advanced - I should probably have mentioned that the course is the first semester of the second year of an engineering physics program. I really would like to teach them some of those more advanced topics, but I fear I would awaken the wrath of the program director ;)
I will keep your suggestions in mind and check out Stone & Goldbart in more detail as well.

I like

S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer (2013)

At a somewhat less advanced level is

A. Prosperetti, Mathematics for Applications, Cambridge University Press (2011)

Both have a lot about Green's functions for the standard linear differential equations in physics.

Likes Orodruin
Mathematical methods for physics and engineering, by Riley, Hobson and Bence is a reasonable book. Not sure if it has everything you want but it might be worth a look.

Likes quantumtimeleap and Orodruin
I'm currently enrolled in a course that uses Eugene Butkov's Mathematical Physics. I find it easy to follow as a student, compared for instance to Arfken's Mathematical Methods for Physicists.

Likes Orodruin
DavitosanX said:
I'm currently enrolled in a course that uses Eugene Butkov's Mathematical Physics. I find it easy to follow as a student, compared for instance to Arfken's Mathematical Methods for Physicists.
Butkov and Arfken are each so much better than Boas, even though they are more advanced, that you should think about trying either one of them.

Likes Orodruin
Thanks for the suggestions, I just asked for a review copy of the latest editions of Arfken as well as Boas. Riley has a lot of nice things, probably too much nice things (Swedish students tend to think they have bought "too much" if their course literature contains more than what is included in the course for some reason). I will check out Butkov as well as soon as I have some time.

I would like to mention another alternative, also published by Wiley. It is called "Mathematical Methods in Engineering and Physics." Full disclosure: I am a co-author. We of course believe that our book is better than Boas, Arfken, Kreyszig, Butkov, etc: clearer for students to follow, and more focused on physical applications instead of pure mathematical theory. Our book just came out a few months ago, so right now, most people don't know it exists. We're doing everything we can to help people find out about it and see if it fits their needs. So if you go to our Web page you will see a full table of contents, and much of them are downloadable for free so you can see if you like it. You will also see a link to Wiley's site where you can order a free eval copy if you are a professor. Please take a look: http://www.felderbooks.com/mathmethods

P.S. Delighted to see the name "Orodruin" (the Elvish name for Mount Doom)!

1. What are some alternative textbooks to Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences"?

Some alternative textbooks to Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" include "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K.F. Riley, M.P. Hobson, and S.J. Bence, "Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Donald A. McQuarrie and John D. Simon, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas.

2. How do these alternative textbooks compare to "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas?

These alternative textbooks cover similar topics and are often used as supplemental texts or as a main text in courses. However, they may differ in the order of topics, examples and exercises, and level of difficulty.

3. Are there any online resources or lectures available for these alternative textbooks?

Yes, many of these alternative textbooks have accompanying websites or online lectures available for students. You can also find supplemental materials and practice problems from other universities that use these textbooks.

4. Can I use these alternative textbooks for self-study?

Yes, these textbooks can be used for self-study but it may be helpful to have a background in calculus and physics. It is also important to supplement the textbook with online resources, lectures, and practice problems to fully understand the material.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing an alternative textbook for "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences"?

Yes, some factors to consider may include the cost of the textbook, the availability of online resources and lectures, and the recommendation of your professor or colleagues. It is also important to consider your own learning style and which textbook presents the material in a way that is most understandable and engaging for you.