Agronomy, Soil Science, and just plain Dirt

In summary, agronomy and soil science are closely related fields that deal with the study and use of plants for food, fuel, and land reclamation. While they used to be synonymous, agronomy has evolved to encompass various areas such as plant genetics, physiology, and meteorology, while soil science remains a subtopic. Both fields have become increasingly high-tech, with specializations in microbiology, biochemistry, and plant nutrition. The importance of prairie in agriculture has also been recognized, as it can absorb farm waste water and prevent pollution of rivers and oceans. Despite this, there seems to be a lack of discussion and interest in agronomy on online forums.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Agronomy and soil science are about dirt. The two used to be synonymous, but agronomy has evolved to so much more, and soil science is subtopic or subset.

According to the Wikipedia article - "Agronomy (Ancient Greek ἀγρός agrós 'field' + νόμος nómos 'law') is the science and technology of producing and using plants for food, fuel, fiber, and land reclamation. Agronomy has come to encompass work in the areas of plant genetics, plant physiology, meteorology, and soil science." Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agronomy

From the American Society of Agronomy website:
https://www.agronomy.org/about-agronomy

Agronomy, like other sciences, has gone high tech as well. One can specialize in microbiology, biochemistry and physiology of microbes and fungi to huge towering trees, or plant nutrition. The science of meteorology is another aspect. Plants need water and food (soil) like animals need water and food.

I started the thread because I was trying to find a place for the following article:

Iowa farmers ripped out prairie; now some hope it can save them
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...f747a2-5274-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

Not only does prairie, with its deep-rooted plants, soak up farm wastewater that pollutes rivers, it also enriches soil.
Prairie grass can take up farm waste water and prevent excess nitrogen and fertilizers from washing down river and to the ocean where they contribute to dead zones.

Also, I searched the forum for "Agronomy" and found no responses.

I enjoy gardening, and I wish I had taken some agronomy courses while an undergraduate.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Nothing like a bit of dirt in the morning.

Hi. I have the article filed in a folder I call "ecosystems/biogeography"

1. What is agronomy?

Agronomy is the science of managing land and crops for maximum productivity and sustainability. It involves studying the interactions between plants, soils, climate, and other factors to optimize the growth and yield of crops.

2. What is soil science?

Soil science is the scientific study of soils, including their composition, properties, and processes. It involves understanding the physical, chemical, and biological characteristics of soil and how they influence plant growth, nutrient cycling, and environmental health.

3. How does soil quality affect crop production?

Soil quality plays a crucial role in crop production as it provides the necessary nutrients, water, and physical support for plant growth. Poor soil quality can result in reduced crop yields, while healthy soil can support high levels of productivity and sustainability.

4. What are some common soil types?

Some common soil types include sand, silt, clay, loam, and peat. These differ in their particle sizes, mineral composition, and organic matter content, which can affect their ability to hold water and nutrients for plant use.

5. How can we improve soil health?

There are several ways to improve soil health, including adding organic matter through cover cropping and composting, reducing tillage to preserve soil structure, and using crop rotation to diversify plant nutrients and prevent disease and pest buildup. Regular soil testing can also help identify any nutrient deficiencies or imbalances that need to be addressed.

Back