Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!

• Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
In summary, today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day and many are celebrating with songs and poems related to pirates. One group, the Pyrates Royale, has a large selection of their songs available online. However, some are having trouble finding quality audio and torrents are not working well. In London, they are celebrating "walk like a pirate day" on the Fulham Road. Happy Pirate Day, mateys!
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ahoy mateys! Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day.png

Likes DennisN, berkeman and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org

• Haha
Likes BillTre and OmCheeto

Likes BillTre
Avast! It be that day again.

Likes BillTre

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and BillTre
And any excuse for Tom Lehrer (tune from the Pirates of Penzance !)

Likes BillTre
George Jones said:

Yes, Arrr W T, a somewhat forgotten curate's egg from the Python family that gave birth to The Rutles.

RWT 1.png

Likes hutchphd
I heard this group at a renaissance festival in Maryland a while ago. The Pyrates Royale. Below are a couple of selections available on the web including an hour and a half session. Some drinking songs, some bawdy or irreverent ones some humorous.

"Old Maui" a whaler ballad

"Polly on the Shore"

"A Pirate's Toast" a poem reading

The hour-and-a-half session. The audio is a bit weak but a large selection of their songs.

Arrrgh. It be that day again! Happy Pirate Day Maties!

• Haha
Likes collinsmark, DennisN, BillTre and 1 other person
Shiver me forums.
Batten down the in sights.

Likes DennisN and Borg
Damn, there's just one seed for fifty leeches. And the rip of low quality. Not to mention the Bay was down again today. Torrents be dying, matey.

In London, it's "walk like a pirate day", apparently. Seen on the Fulham Road:
IMG-20230921-WA0000.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20230921-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230921-WA0000.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
Likes BillTre

1. What is "Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!"?

"Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!" is an annual holiday celebrated on September 19th, where people around the world speak in pirate lingo and dress up as pirates to celebrate the pirate culture.

2. When did "Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!" begin?

The holiday was created in 1995 by John Baur and Mark Summers, two friends from Oregon, USA. It was officially recognized as a holiday in 2002.

3. Why is "Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!" celebrated on September 19th?

The creators of the holiday chose September 19th because it is the birthday of Mark Summers' ex-wife and they thought it would be an easy date to remember.

4. How do people celebrate "Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!"?

People celebrate by talking in pirate lingo, dressing up as pirates, and participating in pirate-themed activities and events. Some people also watch pirate movies or read pirate books to get in the spirit of the holiday.

5. Is "Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!" a recognized holiday?

While it is not an official holiday, "Ahoy! International Talk Like a Pirate Day: Shiver me Timbers!" has gained popularity and recognition around the world. Many businesses and organizations also participate in the holiday by offering special deals and promotions.