Aidan's question via email about Fourier Transforms (2)

In summary, the Fourier Transform of $\displaystyle 3\,H\left( t - 1 \right) \mathrm{e}^{-2\,t} $ is equal to $3\,\mathrm{e}^{-2 - \mathrm{i}\,\omega} \left( \frac{1}{2 + \mathrm{i}\,\omega } \right) $, using the Second Shift Theorem and the Fourier transform of $\displaystyle H(t)e^{-at}$ being $\displaystyle \frac{1}{a+i\omega}$.
Prove It
Gold Member
MHB
Find the Fourier Transform of $\displaystyle 3\,H\left( t - 1 \right) \mathrm{e}^{-2\,t} $.

In order to use the Second Shift Theorem, the function needs to be entirely of the form $\displaystyle f\left( t - 1 \right) $. To do this let $\displaystyle v = t - 1 \implies t = v + 1 $, then

$\displaystyle \begin{align*}
\mathrm{e}^{-2\,t} &= \mathrm{e}^{-2 \, \left( v + 1 \right) } \\
&= \mathrm{e}^{-2\,v - 2 } \\
&= \mathrm{e}^{-2\,\left( t - 1 \right) - 2 } \\
&= \mathrm{e}^{-2\,\left( t - 1 \right) } \,\mathrm{e}^{-2}
\end{align*} $

And so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{F}\,\left\{ 3\,H\left( t - 1 \right) \mathrm{e}^{-2\,t} \right\} &= 3\,\mathrm{e}^{-2}\,\mathcal{F}\,\left\{ H\left( t - 1 \right) \mathrm{e}^{-2\,\left( t - 1 \right) } \right\} \\
&= 3\,\mathrm{e}^{-2}\,\mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i}\,\omega} \,\mathcal{F}\,\left\{ H\left( t \right) \mathrm{e}^{-2\,t} \right\} \\ &= 3\,\mathrm{e}^{-2 - \mathrm{i}\,\omega} \left( \frac{1}{2 + \mathrm{i}\,\omega } \right) \end{align*} $

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What are Fourier Transforms?

Fourier Transforms are mathematical operations that decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. They are used to analyze and manipulate signals and data in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. How are Fourier Transforms used in science?

Fourier Transforms are used in a variety of scientific fields, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in practical applications such as audio and image compression.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier Transform and a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Transform is used for continuous signals, while a Fourier Series is used for discrete signals. Additionally, a Fourier Transform gives the frequency representation of a signal, while a Fourier Series gives the frequency components of a periodic signal.

4. Are there different types of Fourier Transforms?

Yes, there are several types of Fourier Transforms, including the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT), Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), and Inverse Fourier Transform (IFT). Each type has its own specific use and application.

5. How do I calculate a Fourier Transform?

The calculation of a Fourier Transform involves complex mathematical equations. However, there are many software programs and online tools available that can calculate Fourier Transforms for you. It is important to have a basic understanding of the principles behind Fourier Transforms in order to interpret and use the results effectively.