Can Mirrored Solar Arrays Create a Continuous Ion Channel for Energy Transfer?

There is no point in creating a complicated and potentially hazardous system when there are already more efficient and safer alternatives available. It is important to consider the implications and potential harm to the environment and living beings before implementing new technologies. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an array of mirrors to track the sun and create ions at specific elevations in order to create a continuous charge of energy from the upper atmosphere to the ground. This idea is compared to the concept of using lightning as a source of energy and the potential implications on radio wave transmission and the atmosphere. However, it is determined that there are already more efficient and safer alternatives, such as heating a boiler for steam to turn turbines. The conversation ends with a reminder to consider the potential
Chris Nimmons
If one was to create an array of X amount of mirrors tracking the sun and shining on a targeted spot in the sky to create ions at specific elevations similar to a ladder, could this cause an ion column to create a continuous charge of energy from the upper atmosphere to hit the ground?

Lets say we have tier one targeting a spot at .5 km above the earth, also a tier two targeting 1 km above the Earth and a tier three at 2 km and so on and so on into the ionosphere at 75 km. The ions would rise between the tier steps creating a conduction channel. The distances above the Earth are changeable.

This ionized channel from my understanding is the same thing as a stepped leader from a thunder storm, creating a source of power from the potential difference between the upper atmosphere and the Earth the ground? Is this something that can be done? Also what implications would this have on radio wave transmission and the atmosphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris Nimmons said:
If one was to create an array of X amount of mirrors tracking the sun and shining on a targeted spot in the sky to create ions at specific elevations similar to a ladder, could this cause an ion column to create a continuous charge of energy from the upper atmosphere to hit the ground?

how/why would it hit the ground ??

and I strongly doubt that your thread should be labelled advanced ... post graduate level ... really ??

Chris Nimmons said:
Is this something that can be done?
Why? To create lightnings? What for?

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Thanks for your response! I wasn't sure where to put my post because I am new to the forum and don't quite get the levels of academia. We all have to learn some way so I now know not to post here again with my ideas. :) I should have done more research.

Focusing the suns light on one object can produce an enormous amount of heat. Each added mirror increases the heat during the day. This total heat can charge the particles at its focus. If enough energy is produced could the particles become ionized at the target? If the target had enough heat could the heat move upward towards the next focal target pushing the ionized particles upward creating a channel of ions. If it reached a high enough altitude would this create a medium to transfer a flow of electrons back to the earth? I may have a total misunderstanding of lightning but there's not much out there to read. We don't understand it all that well from my gathering since its one of those perfect situation kind of things.

I am not sure why your mad but I hope you have a great day!

fresh_42 said:
Why? To create lightnings? What for?

For energy. We don't have the batteries today but why not research it for the future? You have to have a problem to solve before you can solve it right? You can't know what you don't know.

You can probably ionize the air, but along the entire beam and there is no target, as such a beam doesn't end. So you have more of a horizontal and potentially hazardous effect than a vertical effect. If you install such a beam, it would be far easier and way more efficient (and is actually done), to heat either salt, oil (storage) or air (vertical turbine) to generate energy. I cannot see any possibility to harvest energy from such a set-up. The ions would be permanently exchanged by the turbulence the heat of the beam causes. I don't even think that the production of a single lightning is possible. For research purposes they use thunder clouds and copper wires. This must be for a reason.

Likes davenn
The image button is not working however here is a side profile of what i am talking about. The straight lines at the bottom are mirrors, the arrows going up are the photons and the circles are the target positions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B55-mGt4dNtbTlMyR1JqeW9QWGM/view?usp=sharing

Chris Nimmons said:
For energy. We don't have the batteries today but why not research it for the future? You have to have a problem to solve before you can solve it right? You can't know what you don't know.

it's already done much easier by heating a boiler for steam to turn turbines and it doesn't harm the atmosphere or anything flying through it

Likes Chris Nimmons
davenn said:
it's already done much easier by heating a boiler for steam to turn turbines and it doesn't harm the atmosphere or anything flying through it

Whats it called? Can i get a link?

Thanks for the link. I've seen it in person. Its not the same idea and i figured that's what you would link. I appreciate your time and wish you the best! :)

Chris Nimmons said:
Thanks for the link. I've seen it in person. Its not the same idea and i figured that's what you would link.

it's much more direct and therefore efficient that what you were proposing

What is a solar furnace and how does it work?

A solar furnace is a device that uses concentrated solar energy to generate high temperatures. It works by reflecting and concentrating sunlight onto a small area using mirrors or lenses. The concentrated sunlight creates intense heat, similar to that of a conventional furnace, which can be used for various applications such as melting metals or producing electricity.

What is the purpose of aiming the solar furnace up?

Aiming the solar furnace up allows for the maximum amount of sunlight to be captured and concentrated onto the focal point of the furnace. This results in higher temperatures and more efficient use of solar energy.

What are some potential applications of a solar furnace?

Solar furnaces can be used for a variety of applications, including materials processing, power production, and scientific research. They can be used to melt metals, produce electricity, create synthetic fuels, and even conduct experiments in high-temperature physics and chemistry.

How does a solar furnace differ from other solar energy technologies?

A solar furnace differs from other solar energy technologies in its ability to produce extremely high temperatures. While other solar technologies, such as solar panels, convert sunlight directly into electricity, a solar furnace focuses and intensifies the sunlight to create heat. This makes it particularly useful for industrial processes that require high temperatures.

Are there any challenges or limitations to using a solar furnace?

One of the main challenges of using a solar furnace is its dependence on weather conditions. Cloudy or overcast days can significantly reduce the amount of sunlight available, making the furnace less effective. Additionally, the high temperatures produced by a solar furnace can be difficult to control and may require specialized materials that can withstand extreme heat.