Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, some covers of well-known songs can be better than the originals, but it's up to the individual to decide. Some of the covers that were mentioned are Pink Floyd's "The Wall," Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog," Rush's "The Spirit of Radio," and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody."
DiracPool
OK, this thread is an offshoot of the "even better than the real thing" thread, but honors Newton's comment in an earlier thread-response to a post of mine that "nobody could do Pink Floyd better than Pink Floyd." I said I'd have to agree. I have not seen it. The larger issue I'm exploring here is that maybe there is something about a band or group creative effort (doesn't necessarily have to be music) whereby you can't improve upon the original. IDK.

However, I'm going to give a few music candidates where I haven't seen a cover that improves upon "the real thing."

1. Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rush
4. The Who

Just to name a few..Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody have a recording of Bach playing the Partitas?

DiracPool said:

I'm a big Mike Oldfield fan. Of course basically nobody would ever cover him.

Ok, Hall and Oates did "Family Man." Didn't do anything for me other than the thrill of encountering Oldfield's music in the mainstream...

DiracPool said:
OK, this thread is an offshoot of the "even better than the real thing" thread, but honors Newton's comment in an earlier thread-response to a post of mine that "nobody could do Pink Floyd better than Pink Floyd." I said I'd have to agree. I have not seen it. The larger issue I'm exploring here is that maybe there is something about a band or group creative effort (doesn't necessarily have to be music) whereby you can't improve upon the original. IDK.

However, I'm going to give a few music candidates where I haven't seen a cover that improves upon "the real thing."

1. Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rush
4. The Who

One thing I've learned in life is that it's never impossible to improve on something.

When someone defines a genre it can be difficult though. There are some Led Zeppelin covers that I think are better than the orig but that's a matter of taste and I'm not interested in debating it. Hillary Duff's cover of My Generation I like because it outrages old people. Isn't that the whole point? If we hate it, doesn't it mean that it's GOOD?

If someone wants to think that so-and-so is so perfect that it can't be improved upon, I ain't going to rain on their parade. I used to hang out in a forum of recording engineers and you never saw such a bunch of stuck-in-the-past kids-these-days-don't-know-what-real-music-is fogies, so I got sick of all that. Never again. Physicists are much more open-minded.

DiracPool said:
2. Led Zeppelin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSSpXapks0

Robert Plant was quoted as saying that Dread Zeppelin was “one of his favorite bands” and that you guys did a better job on “Your Time is Gonna Come” than Led Zeppelin did. What are your thoughts on that and has the band had the chance to meet original Led Zeppelin members? If so, how did that go?
- http://sierramadre.patch.com/articles/q-a-with-dread-zeppelin-front-man-tortelvis-performing-tonight-at-sierra-madre-elementary

You're Time is Gonna Come.
http://vimeo.com/38408109

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen

WannabeNewton said:
Queen

I can't believe people even try!

ImaLooser said:
One thing I've learned in life is that it's never impossible to improve on something.

When someone defines a genre it can be difficult though. There are some Led Zeppelin covers that I think are better than the orig but that's a matter of taste and I'm not interested in debating it. Hillary Duff's cover of My Generation I like because it outrages old people. Isn't that the whole point? If we hate it, doesn't it mean that it's GOOD?

If someone wants to think that so-and-so is so perfect that it can't be improved upon, I ain't going to rain on their parade. I used to hang out in a forum of recording engineers and you never saw such a bunch of stuck-in-the-past kids-these-days-don't-know-what-real-music-is fogies, so I got sick of all that. Never again. Physicists are much more open-minded.

Oh yeah, well you can't improve on Rush...In fact, I don't know if I've ever seen a Rush cover. Youtube wannabe's don't count. I mean an official cover. Does anyone know of one?

It's really funny that you include Led Zepplin, because a huge number of their songs are stolen/covers from of other, usually totally unknown bands.

DiracPool said:
1. Pink Floyd
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Rush
4. The Who

Queen.

Who cover by Van Halen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x122AkW4CyI

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody with a symphony orchestra composed almost entirely of young women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Qr6GQEwbg

Led Zep's Rock and Roll by Desiree Bassett and Sammy Hagar. Let's see Jimmy do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGRHe4aYcg

Comfortably Numb guitar solo by a Polish teenager. She even has David's surly facial expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvQevEuymU

There's a solo cover of XYZ by an eleven-year-old, and a drum cover by an eight-year-old that was endorsed by Neil himself.

All that proved is that people make bad covers of the originals... The third one made my ears bleed; want to be Yngwie should stick to mindless shredding not rock and roll. That second one is enough to make Freddie Mercury roll over in his grave, the poor man. The last one was nice though and Van Halen is awesome as always :).

1. What does the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" mean?

The phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" is a popular saying that means there is no substitute for the real experience or feeling.

2. Where did the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" originate from?

The phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" originated from the song "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, released in 1968.

3. What is the significance of the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" in popular culture?

The phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" has become a popular cultural reference, often used to express the idea that nothing can compare to the real experience or thing.

4. How does the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" relate to scientific research?

In scientific research, the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" can be interpreted as emphasizing the importance of using real, authentic data and experiences rather than relying on simulations or hypothetical scenarios.

5. Can the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" be applied to other areas besides music and science?

Yes, the phrase "Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby" can be applied to various areas, such as relationships, food, and travel, to express the idea that nothing can compare to the genuine experience.