Air conditioner Energy consumption for my Scenario

In summary: If so, you might want to look into some calculators that can help estimate standard energy consumption for various AC ratings or room sizes. Air conditioners use a variety of energy sources to produce cooling, such as electricity, propane, liquid petroleum gas, and natural gas. The table below provides a standard energy consumption for various AC ratings. AC Rating Standard Energy Consumption (kWh)1 Star *2 Star **3 Star ***4 Star ****5 Star *****11.523.5468
vimalraj
I am currently doing a research on energy consumption of Room Air conditioners based on BEE rating. Are there any available industry benchmarks for energy consumption of Air conditioners by rating of the AC?

For instance, for the given scenario (defined constants) below, any inputs on how to arrive at standard (estimated) consumption?Scenario:

1. Average city temperature: 30 deg C (day), 22 deg C (night)

2. Room Size: 16'x10'x12' (ground floor, in a building with 3 floors)

3. Windows

a. East facing - 6'x6', 1 window

b. West facing - 6'x6', 1 window

c. Other sides - NIL

4. Occupancy – 2 people

5. Run time – 16 hrs (8 hrs during the day, 8 hrs during the night)

6. Desired Room Temperature – 21 deg Ca.

A/C Capacity

(in Tons)

Standard Energy Consumption (in kWh)

1 Star *

2 Star **

3 Star ***

4 Star ****

5 Star *****

[edited for readability by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Well, if you are starting with room construction, what you need are cooling load calculations. But you haven't provided enough details about the room construction (insulation values) to calculate anything.

You've also stated a run-time and said something about capacity (all the question marks are not helpful in understanding what you are trying to say), which may provide completely separate and contradictory constraints. Maybe you just need to build a table of capacity vs energy use based on the run-time.

You'll need to provide more details of the goal here or better constraints to be able to get an answer that is meaningful. Is this some sort of homework or open-ended project?

Last edited:
I am currently doing a research on energy consumption of Room Air conditioners based on BEE rating. Are there any available industry benchmarks for energy consumption of Air conditioners by rating of the AC?

For instance, for the given scenario (defined constants) below, any inputs on how to arrive at standard (estimated) consumption?Scenario:

1. Average city temperature: 30 deg C (day), 22 deg C (night)

2. Room Size: 16'x10'x12' (ground floor, in a building with 3 floors)

3. Windows

a. East facing - 6'x6', 1 window

b. West facing - 6'x6', 1 window

c. Other sides - NIL

4. Occupancy – 2 people

5. Run time – 16 hrs (8 hrs during the day, 8 hrs during the night)

6. Desired Room Temperature – 21 deg C

upload_2015-11-13_11-21-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-13_11-19-42.png
    upload_2015-11-13_11-19-42.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 336
Under steady state conditions the heat removed by the AC is equal to the heat entering via the walls, windows and ventilation plus other heat sources such as people. So you need to know how well insulated the building is.

vimalraj said:
I am currently doing a research on energy consumption of Room Air conditioners based on BEE rating.
Welcome to the PF.

You didn't answer Russ' question -- is this for schoolwork?

1. How does the size of my air conditioner affect its energy consumption?

The size of your air conditioner directly impacts its energy consumption. A larger unit will use more energy to cool a space, while a smaller unit may struggle to effectively cool a larger area, leading to higher energy consumption.

2. Will using a programmable thermostat help reduce the energy consumption of my air conditioner?

Yes, using a programmable thermostat can significantly reduce the energy consumption of your air conditioner. By setting specific times for your AC to turn on and off, you can avoid running it unnecessarily and save energy.

3. How does the age of my air conditioner impact its energy consumption?

An older air conditioner may use more energy than a newer, more energy-efficient model. As AC units age, they tend to become less efficient and require more energy to cool a space. Consider upgrading to a newer model to reduce energy consumption.

4. Does the temperature setting on my air conditioner affect energy consumption?

Yes, the temperature setting on your air conditioner can greatly impact its energy consumption. Setting your AC to a lower temperature will require more energy to cool the space, so it is recommended to keep it at a moderate temperature to save energy.

5. Can regular maintenance help reduce the energy consumption of my air conditioner?

Yes, regular maintenance can help reduce the energy consumption of your air conditioner. By keeping your AC clean and well-maintained, it can run more efficiently and use less energy to cool your space.