Air escaping out of can with hole

In summary: However, as the gas enters the container, it will start to exert pressure on all walls, including the one opposite to the hole. This will create an opposing force and eventually balance out the initial force, resulting in no net movement of the container.
versine
1632539122642.png

In the first figure, air goes forward and the can goes backward. My question is why does the air exert the pressure gradient force on the can.

Can I have a hint for why the can doesn't move when air is being sucked in in the second photo.

Physics news on Phys.org
versine said:
Can I have a hint for why the can doesn't move when air is being sucked in in the second photo.
Why do you think it does not move ?

I think I got my first question it's because there's more area on the left side of the can.

Baluncore said:
Why do you think it does not move ?
Because I saw the answer lol.

You do realize that the two scenarios are not the mechanical opposite of one another.
Case 1. High pressure gas in the can exits to lower pressure atmosphere.
Case 2. Atmospheric pressure gas enters into a lower pressure can.

Likes versine
versine said:
View attachment 289672
In the first figure, air goes forward and the can goes backward. My question is why does the air exert the pressure gradient force on the can.
Are you asking why the first container will accelerate? Imagine the gas exerts the same pressure on all walls. All wall parts have an opposite wall part, and their opposite forces cancel. Except for the piece of wall opposite to the hole, which has no opposite wall part, and thus the force acting on it is not canceled. So the whole container will accelerate to the left.

versine said:
The second container will initially accelerate to the right for the same reason. The exterior pressure force on the wall part opposite to the hole is not canceled, because there is no wall opposite to it.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, versine and vanhees71

What causes air to escape out of a can with a hole?

The air inside the can is under pressure, and when there is a hole in the can, the air will escape out of the hole to equalize the pressure inside and outside of the can.

Why does the air escape faster from a can with a smaller hole?

The size of the hole affects the rate at which the air escapes. A smaller hole will have a higher pressure gradient, causing the air to escape faster.

Is it possible for air to escape out of a can with no hole?

No, in order for air to escape from a can, there must be a hole or opening for the air to flow through. Without a hole, the air will remain trapped inside the can.

Can the shape or material of the can affect the rate of air escape?

Yes, the shape and material of the can can affect the rate at which air escapes. A thinner can or a can with a smoother surface may allow for faster air escape compared to a thicker or rougher can.

What happens to the air pressure inside the can as the air escapes?

As the air escapes, the pressure inside the can decreases. This is because there is less air molecules inside the can, resulting in a lower pressure. Eventually, the pressure inside and outside the can will equalize.