Air Force Scientist - Should I Pursue Career?

In summary, becoming an Air Force Scientist after college depends on your area of expertise and whether you are looking to join the Air Force (ROTC to become an officer) or work for an aerospace contractor. The officer route may be the easiest way into a certain field, but the pay is less than working in the private industries.
Codyt
Thinking about becoming an Air Force Scientist after college. I just want to know everyone's opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your expertise and area of interest.

Also, are you looking to join the Air Force (ROTC to become an officer)? Or are you looking to work for an aerospace contractor. Research or engineering?

The officer route may be the easiest way into a certain field, but the pay is less than working in the private industries.

If you are looking to get commission, I have the following advice:

1) Have nothing to do with the enlisted recruiters – don’t even use them to find the appropriate path to getting a commission. I’m saddened to say my experience with enlisted recruiters suggested they were outright liars, and they made getting in touch with the appropriate person to become an officer much more difficult than it would have been had I simply used the internet. I assume there are exceptions, but many other people have had similar experiences as me.

2) Be ready for an involved process. The application is ginormous and they want many things, including lots of character references. It’s not difficult – being aware that it can be a long process is half the battle.

3) Do some research on what you’ll actually be researching. Some of the AF research programs have been shut down (is COIL still active at all, for instance?), so you might find yourself doing something you didn’t intend to do.

Best of luck, and do let us know how it goes.

Yes, I am looking to becoming an officer over civilian contracting because they would help me pursue my doctorate as well as let me see the world a bit before I settle down somewhere.

Do you know where to look to find out more about the Air Force Scientist, because the information on their website is minimal and I don't want to talk to a recruiter right now.

I would highly encourage you to pursue a career as an Air Force Scientist. The Air Force offers a unique opportunity for scientists to use their skills and knowledge in a rewarding and impactful way. Not only will you have the chance to work on cutting-edge research and technology, but you will also be serving your country and making a difference in the world.

Additionally, the Air Force provides excellent training and resources for scientists, allowing you to continuously develop your skills and contribute to groundbreaking discoveries. The diverse range of projects and collaborations within the Air Force also offers a dynamic and stimulating environment for scientists to thrive in.

I would also like to mention the many benefits that come with being an Air Force Scientist, such as job security, competitive salaries, and opportunities for advancement. You will also have the chance to work alongside other highly skilled and motivated individuals, creating a supportive and collaborative community.

Overall, pursuing a career as an Air Force Scientist would be a fulfilling and exciting path for any scientist. I would highly recommend exploring this opportunity further and considering the many ways in which you can make a positive impact through your work.

1. What type of education is required to become an Air Force scientist?

To become an Air Force scientist, you will need at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant scientific field such as physics, chemistry, or engineering. Many positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree.

2. What kind of work do Air Force scientists do?

Air Force scientists are involved in a wide range of research and development projects, including designing and testing new technologies, conducting experiments and simulations, and analyzing data to support military operations.

3. What opportunities for advancement are available for Air Force scientists?

Air Force scientists can advance through the ranks by gaining experience and expertise in their field, taking on leadership roles, and pursuing additional education and training. They may also have opportunities to work on classified projects or collaborate with other branches of the military.

4. How can I join the Air Force as a scientist?

If you are interested in becoming an Air Force scientist, you can apply through the Air Force's Officer Training School or via the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program. You will need to meet certain eligibility requirements and go through a selection and training process.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing a career as an Air Force scientist?

In addition to the opportunity to serve your country and contribute to important research and development projects, a career as an Air Force scientist offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and potential for career advancement and professional development.