Air track - Inclined Plane experiment

In summary: You might be able to see a relationship between cart length and air resistance . In summary, the author is trying to come up with a way to measure the random error of the speed measurements in an experiment where the cart is released from an air track. He is investigating how the air flow affects the movement of the cart.
PhysicEng

Homework Statement

I am about to do an experiment where we masure the average speed of a cart released from the top of an inclined plane that has little friction (air track). The speed measurement is done by a photo gate. This is repeated a hundred times.

Homework Equations

I need to come up with a way to check how the air flow from the air track affects the movement of the cart. More accurately - I need to check how to air flow affects the random error of the speed measurements.

The Attempt at a Solution

I could calculate the difference between theory and experiment and find out how everything other than plane's friction and problems' parameters affect the movement. But I cannot isolate the air flow.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Are you measuring the average speed for the trip down the inclined track or are you measuring the average speed through a photogate at the bottom of the track?

Why do you need to isolate the air flow? What are you trying to isolate it from? What are the sources of error in this experiment?

I'm measuring the average speed average speed through a photogate in a fixed point somewhere in the middle of the track.
I was asked to make measurements that isolate the air flow. Other sources of error are: friction between the cart and the track, air friction, errors when measuring the incline of the track (accuracy of the ruler), enviornment causes such as table movement.

Please post a clear diagram or picture of your experimental set up .

Untitled.png

But how does the air rail work ?

I am confused you say you have friction from the air rail separate from the effect of the air.
Does the cart touch the track?

Anyway - yuor approach is first to understand how the air rail works - how might the air affect things?
It is unclear from the question what is being asked of you.
You have to isolate the effect of the air flow on what aspect of the motion?
ie. do you need to isolate it's contribution to the uncertainty on speed measurements?
Are you supposed to rework the experiment design to reveal how the passage through the photogate is affected by the airflow?
What do they mean by "airflow"? Speed of the jets? Spacing of the jets? Volume of air per second through the machine?

PhysicEng I think you have got it right, that is the influence of the airflow will show up in the randomness of the errors since any variation in the support of the cart by the airflow will change the recorder speed. It might also change if atmospheric conditions change - pressure, temperature, humidity...

If this type of track is set up properly the drag on the cart is not going to be very much in most cases .

Interesting though that there are jets of air at a regular pitch along the rail . As the cart arrives and departs from each jet position there could be a small amount of propulsion/retardation and a small amount of up/down motion . Probably too small to worry about in the proposed experiment but I think it would show up in a detailed motion analysis .

It might be interesting to experiment with carts of same weight but different lengths .

1. What is an air track inclined plane experiment?

An air track inclined plane experiment is a physics experiment that involves an inclined plane and an air track. The inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, and the air track is a smooth track that allows objects to slide without friction. In this experiment, an object is released from the top of the inclined plane and slides down, while the air track allows for a smooth and frictionless motion.

2. What is the purpose of an air track inclined plane experiment?

The purpose of an air track inclined plane experiment is to study the effects of gravity on an object as it slides down an inclined plane. This experiment allows for the measurement of the object's acceleration and velocity, as well as the determination of the relationship between these quantities.

3. How is an air track inclined plane experiment set up?

An air track inclined plane experiment requires an inclined plane, an air track, a timer or stopwatch, and an object such as a small ball. The inclined plane should be set up on a flat surface and the air track should be placed at the bottom of the inclined plane. The object is released from the top of the inclined plane and allowed to slide down the track, while the timer is used to measure the time it takes for the object to reach the bottom.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an air track inclined plane experiment?

The outcome of an air track inclined plane experiment can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the inclined plane, the mass of the object, and the surface of the inclined plane and air track. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also affect the results of the experiment.

5. What can be learned from an air track inclined plane experiment?

An air track inclined plane experiment can teach us about the effects of gravity on an object, as well as the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and distance. This experiment can also help us understand the concept of friction and how it affects the motion of objects on an inclined plane. Additionally, this experiment can be used to demonstrate the principles of Newton's laws of motion.