Airbag deployment mechanism....for bicycle riders

• Thread starter MarianneG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bicycle
In summary: If you're planning to sell the device, it may be best to focus on something that's already popular such as a car airbag.
MarianneG
[ mod note: thread moved to homework forum so template is missing ]

Hello! My name is Marianne, and I'm a new member. This is my first post. (Yay!) I'm currently brainstorming ideas for the capstone/senior design project for engineering and decided airbags for bicycles... like a version of that Swedish bike helmet/airbag contraption. Now, I don't want to give away too much information about what I'm creating because I have still yet to patent it. (Good thing the engineering department in my university has very close ties with the lawyer-y department.)

So, my question is...
What are the different mechanisms for airbag deployment? What the pros and cons for each mechanism, given the purpose? And which mechanism would you choose?

My fairly quick research and thoughts thus far
There are two mechanisms I've read about for airbag deployment. One is a sodium azide reaction, and the other is compressed air.

Sodium azide is pretty cool because it can potentially be so much more compact and lighter. It's also what's used in car airbags today. However, it's essentially a mini explosion near your neck which could make this a little bit more clunky because protect yourself from a mini explosion near your neck on top of protecting yourself from a major bike accident. It may lead to more problems. Like heat dissipation, heat resistant materials ,etc. It could get expensive. Then, there's also marketability... like what happens after it deploys? You'll probably have to send it back to get a new sodium azide pack installed. It's just more of a hassle and probably a little too expensive for a consumer.

Now, I'm leaning towards compressed air because it's more convenient (easier to find and buy), most likely cheaper, easier to replace after deployment, and may even be sold as a separate part for the user to install...thinking ahead to the future IF such a device could get sold to the general public. Downsides to it is that it's a little more clunky to begin with. I know that's what used to be used in car airbags. Why did they stop using it? Is the reaction time slower? Since it's for a bicycle helmet, I assume that bicycle accidents generally happen at slower speeds. So, the deceleration probably isn't as drastic as a car accident. So, my sub-question is... would compressed air cartridges be good enough for the types of collisions that a cyclist might face?
Thank you!
Marianne

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps workout the volume of air required and how big the compressed air cartridge would need to be.

1. How does the airbag deployment mechanism work for bicycle riders?

The airbag deployment mechanism for bicycle riders is similar to that of a car airbag. It consists of sensors that detect sudden deceleration or impact, triggering the deployment of the airbag. In this case, the airbag is located on the rider's back and inflates to provide cushioning and protection during a fall.

2. Is the airbag deployment mechanism effective in preventing injuries for bicycle riders?

Studies have shown that the airbag deployment mechanism for bicycle riders can significantly reduce the risk of head and neck injuries. However, it is important to note that it is not a foolproof solution and should be used in combination with other safety measures such as helmets and proper riding techniques.

3. How is the airbag deployment mechanism activated for bicycle riders?

The airbag deployment mechanism for bicycle riders is typically activated by a small gas canister that rapidly inflates the airbag when triggered by the sensors. Some models also have a manual deployment option in case the rider anticipates a fall.

4. Can the airbag deployment mechanism be reused after deployment?

No, the airbag deployment mechanism for bicycle riders is a one-time use system. Once the airbag is deployed, it needs to be replaced with a new one in order to provide the same level of protection in case of another fall.

5. Are there any limitations to using the airbag deployment mechanism for bicycle riders?

One limitation of the airbag deployment mechanism for bicycle riders is that it may not be effective in preventing injuries in high-speed accidents. It is also important to ensure that the airbag is properly installed and maintained in order to function correctly during a fall.