Aircraft engine horsepower display

In summary, the goal is to design an on-board horsepower display for an experimental aircraft. The parameters that determine engine power are RPM, manifold pressure, altitude, temperature, and mixture, all of which are currently monitored and displayed individually. The formulae for calculating horsepower have been developed and can be input into a spreadsheet for desired results. The plan is to feed these signals into a processor and have it display the result on an analog or digital display. The signals are known to be analog and the details of each parameter sensor/transducer output (such as voltage or current, signal range and resolution, accuracy and precision, etc.) are needed. The desired accuracy for the final reading is also important. The possibility of solving the equation through analog circuit
Dkcorey
I am trying to design an on-board horsepower display for an experimental aircraft.

The parameters that determine engine power are RPM, manifold pressure, altitude, temperature and mixture. Each of these parameters is currently monitored and displayed individually in the airplane and the signal output levels are known.

Each of the parameters have a different effect on engine horsepower. The formulae for the horsepower solution have been developed and I can input the values into a spreadsheet and generate the desired result.

What I want to do is feed these signals into a processor, have the processor do the computations, and display the result on either an analog or digital display.

Thanks for any assistance,

David

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will the result then control another function?

No, I just want to display engine power output on a panel gauge

...signal output levels are known.

I take it they are analog signals? If so, I would be curious to know the details of each (the parameters sensor/transducer outputs); voltage or current, signal range and resolution, sensor/transducer accuracy and precision, high and low alarm limits, etc. Also, what kind of accuracy you'll accept for you final reading? Could the equation relating all these parameters to the engines Horse Power be solved through analog circuitry?

You can make a live data application.

I would use a 0-5v sensor that senses movement and incorporate it to measure engine deflection.

The tough part is dampening the engine movments...or using a smoothing algorithm on the engine movment datastream.

You will need to spend time with a torque wrench to forcefully deflect the engine in order to calibrate it and then create a "look up file" as well as an application that uses the sensor input to generate a visual readout.

I recommend the DLP designs IO8 which has 8 channels of acquisition and hooks into a laptop usb port.

1. What is an aircraft engine horsepower display?

An aircraft engine horsepower display is a gauge or instrument that measures and displays the amount of power being generated by the aircraft's engine. It typically shows the amount of horsepower being produced in real-time, allowing the pilot to monitor and adjust the engine's performance.

2. How is aircraft engine horsepower displayed?

Aircraft engine horsepower is typically displayed through a gauge or instrument panel on the aircraft's dashboard. This can be in the form of a digital or analog display, and may also include other indicators such as RPM, fuel flow, and temperature.

3. What factors affect aircraft engine horsepower?

Aircraft engine horsepower can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and condition of the engine, the altitude and temperature of the air, and the weight and speed of the aircraft. Other factors such as air density, fuel quality, and engine maintenance can also impact horsepower.

4. Why is monitoring aircraft engine horsepower important?

Monitoring aircraft engine horsepower is important for several reasons. It allows the pilot to ensure the engine is performing at its optimal level, which can improve efficiency and reduce wear on the engine. It also provides valuable information in case of any malfunctions or emergencies, allowing the pilot to make informed decisions and possibly prevent accidents.

5. How accurate is an aircraft engine horsepower display?

The accuracy of an aircraft engine horsepower display can vary depending on the type and quality of the instrument. However, most modern displays are highly accurate, with some able to measure and display horsepower down to the decimal point. Regular calibration and maintenance can also improve the accuracy of the display.