Airplane Dropping a Package Relative Motion

In summary, a Red Cross airplane at a height of 350 m above ground, traveling east at 80.0 m/s, drops a package (without a parachute) into a pile of soft hay located 2900 m away. The copilot pushes the package out of the plane with a westward horizontal velocity of 3 m/s, and it lands on the hay pile after a time t_1. Using the equation y_f=y_i+v_yt-(1/2)gt^2 and neglecting air resistance, the time elapsed from when the package leaves the plane to when it hits the hay pile can be calculated.
DanielleG

Homework Statement

A Red Cross airplane is traveling horizontally east at velocity v_0 = 80.0 m/s and height h = 350 m above the ground. The plane carries emergency supplies for a village inaccessible by road. The plane will drop the package (without a parachute) into a pile of soft hay prepared on the ground to cushion the impact. The pilot looks at her instruments and notices the plane is a horizontal distance $d = 2900$ m from the hay pile. A time t_1 later, the copilot pushes the package out of the plane, with a westward horizontal velocity v_s = 3 m/s relative to the plane. It lands exactly on the hay pile. From the instant the package leaves the plane, how much time elapses till it hits the hay pile? (Neglect air resistance.)

Homework Equations

$$y_f=y_i+v_yt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2$$

Where $$g=9.8\frac{m}{s^2}$$, y_f is the final height, and y_i, the initial height

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a diagram (see attached file) but I am unsure of where to start. If anyone had any advice for where to begin, that would be great!

Attachments

• 12042182_10153629776792505_1005054529_n.jpg
    12042182_10153629776792505_1005054529_n.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
DanielleG said:
height h = 350 m

DanielleG said:
(Neglect air resistance.)

DanielleG said:
y_f is the final height, and y_i, the initial height
Read the problem; discard the irrelevant information; solve.

Bystander said:
Read the problem; discard the irrelevant information; solve.
Thanks, right after I posted this I realized I had all the necessary information!

1. How does the speed of the airplane affect the relative motion of a package dropped from it?

The speed of the airplane affects the horizontal velocity of the package as it is dropped. The package will have the same horizontal velocity as the airplane, but it will also experience a downward acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the faster the airplane is moving, the farther away the package will land from the airplane's initial position.

2. How does the height at which the package is dropped affect its relative motion?

The height at which the package is dropped also affects its relative motion. The higher the package is dropped from, the longer it will take to reach the ground due to the force of gravity. This means that the package will have a longer horizontal displacement and will land farther away from the airplane's initial position.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity of the airplane and the velocity of the package at the moment it is dropped?

The velocity of the package at the moment it is dropped will be equal to the velocity of the airplane in the horizontal direction. This is because the package is initially moving with the same horizontal velocity as the airplane, but it will experience a downward acceleration due to gravity while the airplane continues to move forward at a constant speed.

4. Does the weight of the package affect its relative motion?

Yes, the weight of the package does affect its relative motion. The heavier the package, the stronger the force of gravity will be acting on it, causing it to accelerate faster towards the ground. This will result in a shorter horizontal displacement and the package landing closer to the airplane's initial position.

5. How does air resistance affect the relative motion of a package dropped from an airplane?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the relative motion of a package dropped from an airplane. As the package falls through the air, it will experience a force of air resistance that opposes its motion. This can slow down the package's descent and cause it to have a shorter horizontal displacement, resulting in the package landing closer to the airplane's initial position.