Airplane Vector Problem: Drawing the diagram

In summary: Sorry I meant I’m getting an angle of 45 when I draw my diagram not the actual angle that needs to be solved for using sine. When I add 15 and 30 based on my diagram I get 45. Is that the right angle to plug into the cosine law?Yes, that is the angle you need to solve for. You can do this using the cosine law. First, draw a right triangle with the airplane as the hypotenuse and the two vectors representing the wind at 30 degrees and 15 degrees as the other two sides. Then use the cosine law to find the angle between the wind vector and the hypotenuse. That angle is 45 degrees.
susan_khan
Thread moved from the technical math forums to the schoolwork forum
An airplane has an air velocity of 500 km/h [N 30 E] and encounters a wind from [S 75 W] at 180 km/h, find the ground velocity. Make sure you draw a big, labelled diagram.
Please help! I’m understand the calculations that need to be done (cosine law then sine law for the angle) but I’m a little confused on how to draw the diagram. Could someone please help if you can ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand the terms "air velocity" and "ground velocity"? If so, please explain them in your own words.

For the drawing, make the vertical (y) axis North, and the horizontal (x) axis East. Basically it looks like a compass with N, E, S, and W labeled for the 4 axis vectors out from the origin.

Then draw a vector from the origin out in the NE direction of the appropriate length to represent the airplane's velocity with respect to the air. Then draw a vector from the origin out in the SW direction with the appropriate length to represent the wind. Then copy that wind vector with its tail on the nose of the airplane's air velocity vector, preserving the angle and length of the wind vector. You have just drawn the vector sum of the airplane's velocity and the wind velocity, which represents the overall velocity of the airplane over the ground.

Does that make sense?

berkeman said:
For the drawing, make the vertical (y) axis North, and the horizontal (x) axis East. Basically it looks like a compass with N, E, S, and W labeled for the 4 axis vectors out from the origin.

Then draw a vector from the origin out in the NE direction of the appropriate length to represent the airplane's velocity with respect to the air. Then draw a vector from the origin out in the SW direction with the appropriate length to represent the wind. Then copy that wind vector with its tail on the nose of the airplane's air velocity vector, preserving the angle and length of the wind vector. You have just drawn the vector sum of the airplane's velocity and the wind velocity, which represents the overall velocity of the airplane over the ground.

Does that make sense?
Yes thank you so much!!

Likes berkeman
susan_khan said:
Yes thank you so much!!
You're welcome. I left some steps out there at the end, so you still have some work to do, but at least you now can start the diagram. You still need to think about the questions @kuruman has asked, since they go toward your intuition for how to solve problems like this. :smile:

susan_khan said:
Yes thank you so much!!
I’m getting an angle of 45 degrees is that correct?

berkeman said:
You're welcome. I left some steps out there at the end, so you still have some work to do, but at least you now can start the diagram. You still need to think about the questions @kuruman has asked, since they go toward your intuition for how to solve problems like this. :smile:
I’m getting an angle of 45 degrees is that somewhat correct?

susan_khan said:
I dunno. Can you upload your diagram and post your calculations? To upload a PDF or JPEG file, use the "Attach files" link under the Edit window.

To post math, you can start off just typing it into the edit window since you are new here, but as you get more experience, please use LaTeX to post math here. There is a "LaTeX Guide" link also under the Edit window. :smile:

susan_khan said:
It's insufficient. Your answer should be in the form V km/hr [X angle Y], i.e. specify the speed and the bearing.

berkeman said:
I dunno. Can you upload your diagram and post your calculations? To upload a PDF or JPEG file, use the "Attach files" link under the Edit window.

To post math, you can start off just typing it into the edit window since you are new here, but as you get more experience, please use LaTeX to post math here. There is a "LaTeX Guide" link also under the Edit window. :smile:
Sorry I meant I’m getting an angle of 45 when I draw my diagram not the actual angle that needs to be solved for using sine. When I add 15 and 30 based on my diagram I get 45. Is that the right angle to plug into the cosine law?

Please show your diagram and label all vectors in it. Then explain how you plan to use the law of cosines using that diagram.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an airplane vector problem?

An airplane vector problem is a type of physics problem that involves drawing a diagram to represent the forces acting on an airplane in flight. It is used to analyze the motion and stability of an airplane.

2. What information is needed to draw the diagram for an airplane vector problem?

To draw the diagram for an airplane vector problem, you will need to know the weight of the airplane, the lift force generated by the wings, the thrust force of the engines, and the drag force acting on the airplane.

3. How do you determine the direction of the forces in the diagram?

The direction of the forces in the diagram is determined by the orientation of the airplane. The weight force always acts downward, the lift force acts perpendicular to the wings, the thrust force acts in the direction of motion, and the drag force acts opposite to the direction of motion.

4. What does the length of the arrows in the diagram represent?

The length of the arrows in the diagram represents the magnitude or strength of the forces. Longer arrows represent greater forces, while shorter arrows represent smaller forces.

5. How do you use the diagram to solve an airplane vector problem?

The diagram is used to visually represent the forces acting on the airplane. By analyzing the forces and their directions, you can determine the net force on the airplane and whether it is in equilibrium or not. This information can then be used to solve the problem and make predictions about the airplane's motion.