Airsoft bb and the Magnus effect, probaly very dumb but

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum topspin that can be given to a 6mm 0.3g BB shot from a 300mm barrel at 350 fps to make it touch the ground 50m away at a 45° angle. It also questions if the magnus effect will immediately cause the BB to touch the ground or if it will be pushed further by the air. It is suggested to test the BB's trajectory to determine the outcome. The conversation also mentions the possibility of giving the BB a curved trajectory with the right amount of topspin. The effectiveness of this technique is debated.
Spin2win
Hello, if i shoot a 6mm 0.3g bb down my 300mm barrel at 350 fps what is the maximum topspin i can give to the bb to make it touch the ground 50m away, if i shoot my gun at a 45° angle?
Is the bb going to immediately touch the ground as soon as it go out of the barrel due to the magnus effect? Or will the air going to push it at list 10 15 metters away and ill be able to go to 40 50 metters aiming higher? Is it possible to give my bb trajectory a nice curve if i give it the proper amount of topsin? Intuitivly i want to say yes but airsoft forum tell me that even if i aim high its just going to go down immediately. Anyway thanks if you can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your best bet here is to go out and test it so you know what will happen.

The magnus effect is an interesting effect and its hard to say how it would affect your BB once shot.

Here's a video on the effect using a dropped basketball:

With that said, its time to close the thread.

What is an Airsoft bb?

An Airsoft bb is a small, spherical projectile used in Airsoft guns. It is typically made of plastic and is designed to mimic the look and feel of real ammunition.

How does the Magnus effect apply to Airsoft bb?

The Magnus effect is a phenomenon where a spinning object experiences a lifting force in the direction perpendicular to its spin. In Airsoft, this effect is used to give the bb a curved trajectory, allowing for more accuracy and range.

What factors affect the Magnus effect on an Airsoft bb?

The factors that affect the Magnus effect on an Airsoft bb include the spin rate, velocity, and weight of the bb, as well as external factors such as wind speed and direction.

Why is understanding the Magnus effect important in Airsoft?

Understanding the Magnus effect in Airsoft can help players improve their accuracy and range by adjusting for different shooting conditions. It can also help in choosing the right type of bb for a specific Airsoft gun.

Are there any other applications of the Magnus effect besides Airsoft?

Yes, the Magnus effect is also used in sports such as soccer, baseball, and golf, where the spin of the ball affects its trajectory. It is also used in engineering and aerodynamics to improve the efficiency of aircraft and other vehicles.