Alan Rickman (1946-2016): Remembering a Great Actor

• News
  • Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, respected character actor Alan Rickman, known for his iconic roles as Hans Gruber in Die Hard and Severus Snapes in the Harry Potter films, has passed away at 69 from cancer. He was also known for his roles in Quigley Down Under and as Marvin in the film adaptation of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He will be greatly missed by fans around the world.
Physics news on Phys.org
That's sad, Die Hard was one of my favorite movies growing. He really nailed that role as the villain. RIP.

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be missed.

Likes Tsu and fresh_42
Very sad.

I can't remember a role in which he wasn't brilliant.

Edit: My favorite of his movies: Love ... actually (2003)

Last edited:
I wasn't familiar with his name until I clicked the link to see his picture, he was such a good actor. Sorry to hear this news.

StatGuy2000 said:
Sad news: Alan Rickman, a highly respected character actor, probably best known for playing villain Hans Gruber in the first Die Hard film and for playing Severus Snapes in the Harry Potter films, have just died today at the age of 69 of cancer. RIP.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-giant-of-british-film-and-theatre-dies-at-69
He was also the villain in "Quigley Down Under," staring Tom Selleck and Laura San Giacomo.

Mark44 said:
He was also the villain in "Quigley Down Under," staring Tom Selleck and Laura San Giacomo.

Thanks for pointing that out. Never seen the film myself (primarily because I'm not a fan of Tom Selleck).

jackwhirl said:
By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be missed.
He's great in that because he basically plays himself in an alternate reality where he was only ever cast in one role - Sporf - and isn't ok with it.

Related to Alan Rickman (1946-2016): Remembering a Great Actor

1. Who was Alan Rickman?

Alan Rickman was a British actor, best known for his iconic roles in film, television, and theatre. He was born on February 21, 1946 and passed away on January 14, 2016 at the age of 69.

2. What are some of Alan Rickman's most famous roles?

Some of Alan Rickman's most famous roles include Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter film series, Hans Gruber in Die Hard, and the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

3. How did Alan Rickman's acting career begin?

Alan Rickman began his acting career in theatre, performing in various stage productions in London. He then transitioned to television and film, where he gained recognition for his talent and versatility as an actor.

4. What made Alan Rickman stand out as an actor?

Alan Rickman was known for his distinct voice, commanding presence, and ability to bring depth and complexity to his characters. He was also highly respected for his dedication to his craft and his commitment to his roles.

5. What legacy did Alan Rickman leave behind?

Alan Rickman's legacy as an actor and artist is one of immense talent and impact. He will always be remembered for his unforgettable performances, his contributions to the arts, and the impact he had on his fans and fellow actors.