Alcubierre drive, could it cause inconsistencies?

In summary, Phinds is saying that the Alcubierre drive is not possible, despite the theoretical possibility that it might, and Rootone is arguing that the drive is possible and might exist. There's seems to be a disagreement about the feasibility of the drive.
Gerinski
The Alcubierre drive is a very interesting theoretical idea, if only as a thought experiment. It might in principle allow travel even faster than light speed (according to some external frame of reference).

But we know that faster than light propagation could lead to history inconsistencies, and the universe abhors inconsistencies, it will not allow them (that is probably the deepest law in the universe, consistency between events must hold).

Should we infer that an Alcubierre drive is physically impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
We probably should consider it impossible because it requires exotic matter with negative energy density.

Gerinski said:
The Alcubierre drive is a very interesting theoretical idea, if only as a thought experiment. It might in principle allow travel even faster than light speed (according to some external frame of reference).

But we know that faster than light propagation could lead to history inconsistencies, and the universe abhors inconsistencies, it will not allow them (that is probably the deepest law in the universe, consistency between events must hold).

Should we infer that an Alcubierre drive is physically impossible?

Yes. Impossible. Much ado about nothing when the actual physics are examined.

Gerinski said:

IMO this is not nearly as strong an argument as you seem to think. See:

You may be interested in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/could-a-warp-drive-work-as-a-time-machine.720433/

Keep in mind that the Alcubierre spacetime is actually nothing like Star Trek-style warp drive. The WP article has a good discussion of this.

I see the idea of Alcubierre drive as an artistic implementation of mathematics, but physically unlikely, (extremely so).
Then again, I am told that Einstein considered black holes to be unlikely to exist in actuality, although relativity did allow for that possibility.

rootone said:
I see the idea of Alcubierre drive as an artistic implementation of mathematics, but physically unlikely, (extremely so).
Then again, I am told that Einstein considered black holes to be unlikely to exist in actuality, although relativity did allow for that possibility.

What is the connection between Alcubierre drive being possible and Einstein's opinion on Black Holes?

tom aaron said:
What is the connection between Alcubierre drive being possible and Einstein's opinion on Black Holes?
rootone's statement seems totally straightforward to me. I don't get why you have a problem with it. He's comparing his point of view about the drive w/ E's point of view about black holes and saying that E was wrong about BH's and he may be wrong about the drive. He's not saying, as far as I can tell, that the drive exists, only that as far as he can tell it MIGHT exist.

I think that's wrong and the drive doesn't exist but that doesn't make his statement logically inconsistent.

phinds said:
rootone's statement seems totally straightforward to me. I don't get why you have a problem with it. He's comparing his point of view about the drive w/ E's point of view about black holes and saying that E was wrong about BH's and he may be wrong about the drive. He's not saying, as far as I can tell, that the drive exists, only that as far as he can tell it MIGHT exist.

I think that's wrong and the drive doesn't exist but that doesn't make his statement logically inconsistent.

By that logic then anything can be used.

Einstein was wrong about Black Holes so Leprechauns might be real.

Please explain the physics of how the Alcubierre drive is not fantasy. Everything we know about the Standard model of physics shows it to be no more possible than Leprechauns.

Let's see if I'm understanding... Phinds is saying that the drive doesn't exist, despite the theoretical possibility that it might; and you're saying that the drive is no more possible than that leprechauns exist (also a theoretical possibility, albeit remote); and you two are arguing? That "thunk" noise that you just heard is the sound of a thread being locked.

Likes PWiz, PeterDonis and berkeman

1. What is the Alcubierre drive and how does it work?

The Alcubierre drive is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes a method of achieving faster-than-light travel. It involves manipulating the fabric of space-time to create a warp bubble around a spacecraft, allowing it to travel through space at speeds faster than the speed of light.

2. Could the Alcubierre drive cause inconsistencies in the laws of physics?

While the Alcubierre drive is a fascinating concept, it is currently purely theoretical and has not been proven to be possible. As with any theoretical concept, there are still many unknowns and potential inconsistencies that would need to be addressed before it could be considered a viable means of transportation.

3. What are some potential risks or side effects of using the Alcubierre drive?

Some potential risks and side effects of using the Alcubierre drive include the creation of high levels of radiation and intense gravitational forces, which could be harmful to both the spacecraft and any living beings onboard. There may also be potential damage to the fabric of space-time, causing unintended consequences for the universe.

4. How close are we to developing and using the Alcubierre drive?

Currently, there is no known technology that could make the Alcubierre drive a reality. While some scientists have proposed theoretical ways to potentially create the necessary conditions for it to work, there are still many technological and scientific hurdles that would need to be overcome before it could be developed and used.

5. Are there any alternative theories or concepts for faster-than-light travel?

Yes, there are other proposed theories and concepts for faster-than-light travel, such as wormholes and warp drives. However, like the Alcubierre drive, these are all currently theoretical and would require significant advancements in technology and understanding of physics before they could be developed and used.