Alert Prefs: new videos / watched fora

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: to the watched category Biology.Today at 5:12 AMWrichik Basu added a video called Fluid Mechanics ...... to the watched category Engineering.Today at 3:10 AM
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I have a lot of options for setting alert prefs. But one pref I cannot set is whether I receive alerts when a new video is posted to a category. You can see 2 alerts in my dropdown, here:

upload_2018-5-28_19-5-11.png

It says a new video was posted to the watched category Engineering.

When I look at the Engineering category, I can see the clicky-link "Watch Category" in the upper right corner, underneath the 'Add Media' button. That would strongly suggest to me that I am not currently watching this category (especially since I'm pretty sure I never decided to watch it in the first place.).

upload_2018-5-28_19-6-34.png

All due respect to the video posters for their hard work, but I would really prefer not to have these show up as alerts. I cherish the little anticipatory moment of glee I get when I see the alerts badge at the top of my page, but this is a bait & switch. :woot::H

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-28_19-2-52.png
    upload_2018-5-28_19-2-52.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 392
  • upload_2018-5-28_19-5-11.png
    upload_2018-5-28_19-5-11.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 654
  • upload_2018-5-28_19-6-34.png
    upload_2018-5-28_19-6-34.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 307
Physics news on Phys.org
I've chosen the pro-active solution, and clicked on Watch Cat, and then Unwatch Cat.
In theory, it should now explicitly have this Cat as unwatched. But it looks exactly the same as before, so we'll see.

(Something Schrodingeresque goes here about Cats being both watched and unwatched.)

DaveC426913 said:
All due respect to the video posters for their hard work, but I would really prefer not to have these show up as alerts. I cherish the little anticipatory moment of glee I get when I see the alerts badge at the top of my page, but this is a bait & switch. :woot::H
I understand. It will surely become annoying after a while if you receive forty alerts each time I upload forty videos.

DaveC426913 said:
I've chosen the pro-active solution, and clicked on Watch Cat, and then Unwatch Cat.
In theory, it should now explicitly have this Cat as unwatched. But it looks exactly the same as before, so we'll see.
I have posted some more. If the problem still occurs, tell me, and I shall refrain from posting in that category till the issue is resolved.

Last edited:
I think the only solution at the moment is to unwatch all categories. I know @jedishrfu and @Wrichik Basu have been adding a ton of great content lately. I am sure that will tailor off at some point.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think the only solution at the moment is to unwatch all categories. I know @jedishrfu and @Wrichik Basu have been adding a ton of great content lately. I am sure that will tailor off at some point.
True, the stock will finish one day (though that time is still far off).

However, the OP says that he never watched the category:

DaveC426913 said:
When I look at the Engineering category, I can see the clicky-link "Watch Category" in the upper right corner, underneath the 'Add Media' button. That would strongly suggest to me that I am not currently watching this category (especially since I'm pretty sure I never decided to watch it in the first place.).
Emphasis added

Then should this problem occur? I never receive alerts when @jedishrfu adds videos, because I am not watching the category he is adding videos to. The same should apply to any member.

Wrichik Basu said:
However, the OP says that he never watched the category:

Update: As per post 2, I did Watch and then Unwatch the Engineering Category. I am still receiving alerts.

So definitely a bug.

And it's not limited to Engineering. Getting them in Biology and Chemistry as well.

Wrichik Basu said:
If the problem still occurs, tell me, and I shall refrain from posting in that category till the issue is resolved.
I do not think this is warranted.

My little red badge should not interfere with your ability to contribute.

(Besides, it is happening in all Categories. I just got alerts for Chemistry and Biology too.)

DaveC426913 said:
(Besides, it is happening in all Categories. I just got alerts for Chemistry and Biology too.)
That is a sad case.

Do you get alerts when @jedishrfu uploads to Calculus category?

Wrichik Basu said:
Do you get alerts when @jedishrfu uploads to Calculus category?
I don't know. My history of alerts only goes back to yesterday, so I can't tell if I have or have not received any alerts in Calc.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't know. My history of alerts only goes back to yesterday, so I can't tell if I have or have not received any alerts in Calc.
He has added some today, about three hours back.

Wrichik Basu said:
He has added some today, about three hours back.
Ah. Then no.

Wrichik Basu added a video called Introduction to Chemical Thermodynamics and Kinetics ... to the watched category Chemistry.
Today at 11:09 AM

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/members/wrichik-basu.623143/']Wrichik Basu added a video called Analytical Technologies in Biotechnology ... to the watched category Biology.
Today at 5:12 AM
[/URL]

Wrichik Basu added a video called Fluid Mechanics ... to the watched category Engineering.
Today at 3:10 AM

1. What are "Alert Prefs" on a video or forum?

Alert Prefs, short for Alert Preferences, are settings that allow you to customize when and how you receive notifications for new videos or posts on a particular forum. This feature is often found on social media platforms or online forums, and it allows you to stay updated on new content without constantly checking for updates.

2. How do I access Alert Prefs for a specific video or forum?

The process for accessing Alert Prefs may vary depending on the platform, but it is usually found within the settings or options menu of the video or forum. Look for a notification or alert icon, or a "settings" option that will lead you to the Alert Prefs page.

3. Can I customize the types of alerts I receive for a specific video or forum?

Yes, you can usually customize the types of alerts you receive for a specific video or forum. This may include options such as receiving an email or push notification for new content, or choosing to only receive alerts for certain types of content (e.g. only new videos and not comments).

4. Can I turn off all alerts for a specific video or forum?

Yes, you can usually choose to turn off all alerts for a specific video or forum if you no longer wish to receive notifications. This can also be useful if you are on a break from a particular forum or if you are no longer interested in the content of a specific video.

5. Will my Alert Prefs settings apply to all videos or forums on the platform?

No, your Alert Prefs settings will only apply to the specific video or forum that you have customized them for. If you want to adjust your settings for other content, you will need to access the Alert Prefs page for each individual video or forum.