Algebra Homomorphisms as Subsets of the Cartesian Product

Migushiby
Let ## \varphi \subseteq A \times B; \psi \subseteq B \times C ##. Then ## \varphi \circ \psi = \left \{ (a, c)| \exists b: (a,b) \in \varphi, (b,c) \in \psi \right \} \subseteq A \times C##.

Task: Let ##\varphi## and ##\psi## are subalgebras of algebras ##A \times B## and ##B \times C## respectively. Prove that ##\varphi \circ \psi## is subalgebra of algebra $A \times C$.

My proof: ##\varphi : A \to B ; \psi : B \to C##.##\omega_{i}## - operations in A; ##\tau_{i}## - operations in B; ##\pi_{i}## - operations in C. For ##\varphi : \varphi(\omega_{i}(x_{j})) = \tau_{i}(\varphi(x_{j}))##. For ##\psi: \psi(\tau_{i}(x_{j})) = \pi_{i}(\psi(x_{j}))##. So ##(\varphi \circ \psi)(\omega_{i}(x_{j})) = \psi(\varphi(\omega_{i}(x_{j}))) = \psi(\tau_{i}(\varphi(x_{j}))) = \pi_{i}(\psi(\varphi(x_{j})))##. This means that ##\varphi \circ \psi## is homomorphism and ##\varphi \circ \psi## is subalgebra of algebra ##A \times C## as a composition of homomorphisms that are subalgebras.
Is my proof correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I changed the title. Your definition of a mapping is correct but not a subalgebra. Every function ##f:X\rightarrow Y## can formally be defined as a subset of ##f\triangleq\mathcal{F}\subseteq X\times Y## with the additional requirement that no two ##y## occur with the same ##x.##

I'm not quite sure but ##\mathcal{F}## could actually be a subalgebra in case ##X,Y## are. However, this is also an unusual point of view since the pairs are important and not so much their multiplication.

And you haven't used algebra homomorphisms. What are those operations? They are not binary.

Also your ##\varphi \circ \psi## is written from left to right, which is allowed but unusual so it should be noted!

If I made a mistake, then please someone correct me. It's a bit late and I'm not 100% fit. I only answered in order to
a) explain why I did not move this into the HW section
b) explain my edit of the title
c) highlight what has to be considered before the actual proof will be checked

Last edited:
Migushiby said:
Let ## \varphi \subseteq A \times B; \psi \subseteq B \times C ##. Then ## \varphi \circ \psi = \left \{ (a, c)| \exists b: (a,b) \in \varphi, (b,c) \in \psi \right \} \subseteq A \times C##.

Task: Let ##\varphi## and ##\psi## are subalgebras of algebras ##A \times B## and ##B \times C## respectively. Prove that ##\varphi \circ \psi## is subalgebra of algebra $A \times C$.

My proof: ##\varphi : A \to B ; \psi : B \to C##.##\omega_{i}## - operations in A; ##\tau_{i}## - operations in B; ##\pi_{i}## - operations in C. For ##\varphi : \varphi(\omega_{i}(x_{j})) = \tau_{i}(\varphi(x_{j}))##. For ##\psi: \psi(\tau_{i}(x_{j})) = \pi_{i}(\psi(x_{j}))##. So ##(\varphi \circ \psi)(\omega_{i}(x_{j})) = \psi(\varphi(\omega_{i}(x_{j}))) = \psi(\tau_{i}(\varphi(x_{j}))) = \pi_{i}(\psi(\varphi(x_{j})))##. This means that ##\varphi \circ \psi## is homomorphism and ##\varphi \circ \psi## is subalgebra of algebra ##A \times C## as a composition of homomorphisms that are subalgebras.
Is my proof correct?
I'm not sure how to interpret the operations, but it looks ok. The phrasing that an algebra homomorphism ##f:X\rightarrow Y## is a subalgebra of ##X\times Y## was new to me. It is a clever way to describe the homomorphism property.

Everything stands and falls with the definition of what ##\varphi \circ \psi## is. You haven't said this so we must guess how it is defined. I would have written it the old-fashioned way as
\begin{align*}
(\varphi \circ \psi) &=\left\{(a,b)\in \varphi \right\} \circ \left\{(b,c)\in \psi\right\}\\
&=\left\{(a,b)\circ (b,c)\,|\,(a,b)\in \varphi \wedge (b,c)\in \psi\right\}\\
&=\left\{(a,c)\,|\,\exists b\in B \, : \,(a,b)\in \varphi \wedge (b,c)\in \psi\right\}
\end{align*}
I would choose ##a,\bar{a}\in A## and prove the homomorphism condition from there. It is not obvious to me how you do it the implicit way where you stuffed the condition into the term "subalgebra". Why is ##\varphi \circ \psi \subseteq A\times C## a subalgebra?

But this may have to do with the fact that I did not understand what ##\omega_i, \tau_i## and ##\pi_i## precisely are and how the consecutive application of homomorphisms is defined in your subalgebra picture. I used the existence qualifier for ##b=\varphi(a)## and glued the sets at ##b.## No idea what to do without it.

1. What is an algebra homomorphism?

An algebra homomorphism is a function between two algebraic structures that preserves the operations and relations of the structures. In other words, it maps elements from one structure to corresponding elements in the other structure in a way that respects the algebraic operations and properties.

2. How are algebra homomorphisms related to subsets of the Cartesian product?

Algebra homomorphisms can be represented as subsets of the Cartesian product of the two algebraic structures. This is because the mapping of elements from one structure to another can be viewed as a subset of the Cartesian product, where each element in the subset is a pair of corresponding elements from the two structures.

3. What is the significance of algebra homomorphisms as subsets of the Cartesian product?

By representing algebra homomorphisms as subsets of the Cartesian product, we can use the properties of Cartesian products to better understand and analyze these mappings. This representation also allows us to apply concepts from set theory and topology to study algebra homomorphisms.

4. How can algebra homomorphisms be used in practical applications?

Algebra homomorphisms have many practical applications, especially in the fields of computer science and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits and computer programs. They are also used in cryptography and coding theory to ensure the security and reliability of data transmission.

5. Are there different types of algebra homomorphisms?

Yes, there are several types of algebra homomorphisms, including group homomorphisms, ring homomorphisms, and module homomorphisms. Each type has its own set of properties and applications. For example, group homomorphisms preserve the group structure, while ring homomorphisms preserve both the ring structure and the multiplicative identity element.