Model with SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry

In summary: The result is that each of the three vector bosons has a different mass, and that the mass of each boson is ##g|\varphi_0|##.In summary, the global ##SO(3)## symmetry of the gauge vector field under the transformation ##A^i_{\mu} \to \omega_{ij}A^j_{\mu}## for ##\omega \in SO(3)## is proven by direct calculation. The dot product terms are invariant, while the "cross product" term transforms in a way that preserves the rotation invariance of the cross product. The Lagrangian is then shown to be invariant under global ##SO(3)## transformations in the form of ##u
jack476
Homework Statement
Full context:
We consider a model for an ##SU(2)## doublet with the following Lagrangian:
##L = -\frac{1}{4}F^a_{\mu\nu}F^a_{\mu\nu}+(D_{\mu}\varphi)^{\dagger}(D_{\mu}\varphi)+\mu^2 \varphi^\dagger \varphi -\lambda(\varphi^\dagger \varphi)^2## where ##D_\mu \varphi = \partial_\mu \varphi -\frac{1}{2}A^a?\mu \tau^a \varphi## and ##\tau^a## are the generators of the Lie algebra of ##SU(2)## (the Pauli matrices) and the ##A^a_\mu## are real-valued functions.

We choose the following as the ground state: ##A^{a,(v)}_\mu = 0, \varphi^{(v)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ \varphi_0 \end{bmatrix}## where ##\varphi_0 = \frac{\mu}{\sqrt{2\lambda}}##, and we consider small excitations about the ground state with the form ##\varphi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}\theta^1 +i\theta^2 \\ \varphi_0 + \chi +i\theta^3\end{bmatrix}##. Notice that under the ##SU(2)## transformation ##\varphi \to \omega(x)\varphi## where ##\omega = I+i\tau^a u^a(x)## where the ##u^a## are small real functions, to linear order in the fields, the ##\chi## function does not change, but the ##\theta## functions each pick up a new term which will depend on the ##u## functions, so only the ##\chi## function represents a physical scalar boson field and the ##\theta## fields are arbitrary "fictitious" bosons. To quadratic order in the fields, we can eliminate these from the Lagrangian by substituting ##\varphi## into the Lagrangian, expanding, and making a change of the gauge field variables that gets rid of the ##\theta## terms, or alternatively by fixing a unitary gauge in which ##\varphi = \frac{1}{2}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ \varphi_0 + \chi \end{bmatrix}## and then expanding the Lagrangian. Either way, the quadratic-order Lagrangian turns out to be ##L^{(2)} = -\frac{1}{4}(\partial_{\mu}A^a_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A^a_{\mu})^2 + \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \chi)^2+\frac{1}{8}g^2 \varphi_0^2 A^a_{\mu}A^a_{\mu} -\mu^2\chi^2##. In this case, all three of the vector boson fields ##A^a_\mu## have the same mass, ##m_V = \frac{g\varphi_0}{2}.##

We can write the ##SU(2)## doublet in the form ##\begin{bmatrix}\eta^1+i\eta^2 \\ u + i\eta^3\end{bmatrix}##. Then the scalar potential for the model can be written ##-\mu^2(u^2+\eta^a\eta^a) +\lambda(u^2+\eta^a\eta^a)^2##, and this potential has a global ##SO(3)## invariance where ##u## is a scalar that transforms according to the trivial representation of ##SO(3)## (singlet) and the ##\eta^a## are the components of a vector in ##\mathbb{R}^3## that transform according to the fundamental representation of ##SO(3)## (triplet). This global ##SO(3)## invariance is not spontaneously broken by the chosen ground state ##\varphi^{(v)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ \varphi_0\end{bmatrix}##.

Problem statement:
1.) Choose a transformation rule for the gauge vector fields so that the Lagrangian for the model is invariant under global ##SO(3)## transformations.
2.) Show that the equality of the masses of the vector bosons in the quadratic Lagrangian is a consequence of the fully unbroken global ##SO(3)## symmetry.

Source: Valery Rubakov, Classical Theory of Gauge Fields, problem 6.6.
Relevant Equations
Everything is given in the problem statement.
1.) The rule for the global ##SO(3)## transformation of the gauge vector field is ##A^i_{\mu} \to \omega_{ij}A^j_{\mu}## for ##\omega \in SO(3)##.

The proof is by direct calculation. First, if ##A^i_{\mu} \to \omega_{ij}A^j_{\mu}## then ##F^i_{\mu \nu} \to \omega_{ij}F^j_{\mu\nu}##, so ##F^i_{\mu\nu}F^i_{\mu\nu} \to \omega_{ij}\omega_{ik}F^j_{\mu\nu}F^k_{\mu\nu} = \delta_{jk}F^j_{\mu\nu}F^k_{\mu\nu} = F^j_{\mu\nu}F^j_{\mu\nu}##, and in general "dot product" terms ##x^iy^i## are invariant under ##SO(3)## transformations. so the part with the strength tensor is invariant. Now we expand the kinetic energy: ##(D_{\mu}\varphi)^{\dagger}(D_{\mu}\varphi) = (\partial_{\mu}u)^2 + (\partial_{\mu}\eta^i)^2 +g\big(\epsilon^{ijk}(\partial_{\mu}\eta^i)A_{\mu}^j\eta^k+(\partial_{\mu}u)A^i_\mu\eta^i-uA^i_{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\eta^i\big)+\frac{g^2}{4}A^a_{\mu}A^a_{\mu}(u^2+\eta^i\eta^i)##> The dot product terms are all invariant. The "cross product" ##\epsilon^{ijk}A^j_{\mu}\eta^k## transforms to ##\epsilon^{ijk}\omega_{jl}\omega_{km}A^l_{\mu}\eta^m## and by the rotation invariance of the cross product this is equal to ##\omega_{il}\epsilon^{ljk}A^j_{\mu}\eta^k##, so ##\epsilon^{ijk}(\partial_{\mu}\eta^i)A_{\mu}^j\eta^k \to \omega_{ij}\omega_{il}\epsilon^{ljk}(\partial_{\mu}\eta^j)A_{\mu}^j\eta^k = \epsilon^{ijk}(\partial_{\mu}\eta^i)A_{\mu}^j\eta^k##. The invariance of dot products under ##SO(3)## means that the potential is also invariant. Therefore the Lagrangian is invariant under global ##SO(3)## transformations of the form ##u \to u, \eta^i \to \omega_{ij}\eta^j, A^i_\mu \to \omega_{ij}A^j_\mu##.

Simple enough. The second part is really where I'm having trouble.

For simplicity, and without losing generality, we can spontaneously break the ##SO(3)## symmetry down to ##SO(2)## by choosing the ground state $$\varphi^{(v)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ \phi_0+iv\end{bmatrix}$$
Let's consider small excitations about this ground state with the form $$\varphi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}\theta^1+i\theta2 \\ \phi_0+\chi+i(v+\theta^3)\end{bmatrix}$$ Let ##\omega(x) = I+i\tau^a u^a## be an SU(2) gauge transformation where the ##u^a## are small. Then to linear order:
$$\omega\varphi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}\theta^1+\varphi_0u^2-vu^1+i(\theta^2+\varphi_0u^1+vu^2) \\ \varphi_0+ \chi +vu^3+i(v+\theta^3 - \varphi_0u^3)\end{bmatrix}$$
The ##\chi## function has picked up a non-constant term ##vu^3##. This means that as a result of spontaneously breaking the ##SO(3)## global symmetry, the ##\chi## function has been demoted from a Higgs field to a fictitious field which we will need to eliminate from the Lagrangian.

We'll fix the gauge and set ##\theta^1=\theta^2=\theta^3=0##. Then to linear order in the fields:
$$D_{\mu}\varphi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ \partial_{\mu}\chi \end{bmatrix} -\frac{ig}{2\sqrt{2}}A^a_{\mu}\tau^a\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ \varphi_0+iv\end{bmatrix}$$
Then to quadratic order, ##(D_{\mu}\varphi)^\dagger (D_{\mu}\varphi) = \frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\chi)^2-\frac{1}{2}gvA^3_{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\chi+\frac{1}{8}g^2(v^2+\varphi^2_0)A^a_{\mu}A^a_{\mu}##. For the ##a=3## component, we have: $$\begin{align*}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\chi)^2 -\frac{1}{2}gvA^3_\mu\partial_{\mu}\chi+\frac{1}{8}g^2(v^2+\varphi_0^2)A^3_{\mu}A^3_{\mu} &= \frac{1}{8}g^2v^2\left(A^3_{\mu}-\frac{2}{gv}\partial_{\mu}\chi\right)^2+\frac{1}{8}g^2\varphi_0^2A^3_{\mu}A^3_{\mu}\\
&\equiv \frac{g^2v^2}{8}B^3_{\mu}B^3_{\mu}+\frac{g^2\varphi_0^2}{8}A^3_{\mu}A^3_{\mu}
\end{align*}$$
And from here I don't really know how to proceed. I could factor this into a product of complex fields, but there seems to be some ambiguity in how I can do that. For instance, I could set ##Z^{\pm}_{\mu} = B^3_{\mu}\pm i\frac{\varphi_0}{v}A^3_{\mu}## so that ##\frac{g^2v^2}{8}B^3_{\mu}B^3_{\mu}+\frac{g^2\varphi_0^2}{8}A^3_{\mu}A^3_{\mu} = \frac{g^2v^2}{8}Z^{+}_{\mu}Z^{-}_{\mu}## or I could do ##Z^{\pm}_{\mu} = \frac{vB^3_{\mu} \pm i\varphi_0A^3_{\mu}}{\sqrt{\varphi_0^2+v^2}}## so that ##\frac{g^2v^2}{8}B^3_{\mu}B^3_{\mu}+\frac{g^2\varphi_0^2}{8}A^3_{\mu}A^3_{\mu} = \frac{g^2(v^2+\varphi_0^2)}{8}Z^{+}_{\mu}Z^{-}_{\mu}##.

So how do I finish this off and show that the three vector fields do not all have the same mass? Am I making a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out.

By Noether's theorem, there is a conserved current ##j^a_{\mu}## associated with this global ##SO(3)## symmetry, and there is an energy associated with this current that is proportional to ##j^a_{\mu}A^a_{\mu}##. Let ##t^{ij}_a## be component ##i, j## of the ##a##th generator of the Lie algebra of ##SO(3)##. Then the Noether current is:
$$\begin{align*} j^a_{\mu} &= \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}A^i_{\nu})}t^{ij}_aA^j_{\nu} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\eta^i)}t^{ij}_a\eta^j\\
&= \epsilon^{aij}\big(-F^i_{\mu\nu}A^j_{\nu}+2(\partial_{\mu}\eta^i)\eta^j+g\eta^j\epsilon^{ikl}A^k_{\mu}\eta^l-uA^i_{\mu}\eta^j\big)\end{align*}$$
Break the symmetry with an arbitrary ground state ##\varphi^{(vz)} = \begin{bmatrix}v^1+iv^2 \\ \varphi_0+iv^3\end{bmatrix}## and consider small excitations where ##u = \varphi_0+\chi## and ##\eta^i = v^i+\theta^i##. To quadratic order in the fields, $$j^a_{\mu}A^a_{\mu} = 2\epsilon^{aij}v^j A^a_{\mu}\partial_{\mu}\theta^i+g\epsilon^{aij}\epsilon^{ikl}v^l v^j A^a_{\mu} A^k_{\mu}-\varphi_0 \epsilon^{aij}v^jA^a_{\mu}A^i_{\mu}$$
This quantity is zero only if all three ##v^i## are zero, and if any of the ##v^i## are nonzero then in general the interaction energy between the gauge field and the Noether current contributes different amounts of mass to each of the three vector bosons, after making a change of variables that gets rid of the ##\partial_{\mu}\theta^i## terms.

1. What is SU(2) gauge symmetry?

SU(2) gauge symmetry is a mathematical concept used in particle physics to describe the interactions between fundamental particles. It is a type of symmetry that relates to the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is SO(3) global symmetry?

SO(3) global symmetry is a mathematical concept that describes the rotational symmetry of a physical system. It is a type of symmetry that relates to the shape and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space.

3. How do SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry relate to each other?

SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry are both symmetries that describe different aspects of the fundamental interactions between particles. SU(2) gauge symmetry is related to the strong nuclear force, while SO(3) global symmetry is related to the shape and orientation of objects. In certain physical systems, these two symmetries can be combined to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. What is the significance of the SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry in particle physics?

The SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry are important concepts in particle physics because they help us understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the behavior of physical systems. These symmetries are used to construct mathematical models that accurately describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. How are SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry used in practical applications?

SU(2) gauge symmetry and SO(3) global symmetry are used in practical applications such as particle accelerators and particle detectors. These symmetries are also used in theoretical models to predict the behavior of particles and interactions, which can then be tested and verified through experiments. Additionally, these symmetries have implications for the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and advanced materials.