Algebra - Quartz Tuning Fork Watch

In summary: So, if ## f ## is known at two temperatures, ## T_1 ## and ## T_2 ##, then the corresponding ## c ## values can be found by solving for ## c = T_1 T_2 / f ##. However, this solution is only valid if ## f ## is a constant over the temperature range.
CallMeShady
Algebra - "Quartz Tuning Fork" Watch

Homework Statement

Many modern watches operate based on a small quartz tuning fork which transduces a mechanical oscillation into an electrical signal. The frequency of the tuning fork is
inversely proportional to sqrt(l), with l being the length of the fork. If the watch keeps perfect time at 20°C, what is the fractional gain or less in time for a quartz tuning fork that is 6mm long at:
(a) 0°C
(b) 30°C
Hint: try working this out algebraically. The changes are small and prone to rounding issues.

αQuartz = 0.59 × 10-6/°C

Homework Equations

Not sure if the following equations are useful, but my topic of study right now is based on thermal expansion, as well as calculations based on heat energy (Q = mcΔT).
ΔL = αL0ΔT (linear thermal expansion)

If a body has length L0 at temperature T0, then its length L at a temperature T = T0 + ΔT is:
L = L0 + ΔL = L0 + αL0ΔT = L0(1 + αΔT)

Q = mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

This question appears to me on a topic that I haven't touched so far in my Physics class; however, I know that the topics I am studying is interconnected with this question somehow. From what I read from the question, I concluded that frequency = 1/√length but I don't know how to incorporate that into an equation in which I can find a "ratio." I am stuck here and do not know how to further approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the frequency at the higher temperature? What is it ratio with that of the "perfect" frequency?

I understand that I need to compare the ratio of the frequencies at 0°C and 30°C with that of the "perfect" frequency at 20°C, however, I don't know how to express both frequencies in equations that I can compare them to each other. Can you shine some light on that please?

The frequency is said to be inversely proportional to ## \sqrt {l} ##, which means it is a product of some constant ## c ## and ## \frac 1 {\sqrt {l} } ##, i.e., ## f = \frac {c} {\sqrt {l} } ##. ## l ## changes with temperature, ## c ## does not.

I would first like to clarify that the topic being discussed here is not algebra, but rather the concept of thermal expansion and its effect on the frequency of a quartz tuning fork used in watches. Algebra is simply the mathematical tool used to solve the problem at hand.

To solve this problem, we first need to understand the relationship between the length of the tuning fork and its frequency. As stated in the problem, the frequency is inversely proportional to the square root of the length. This can be expressed as f ∝ 1/√l, where f represents frequency and l represents length.

Next, we need to take into account the effect of temperature on the length of the tuning fork. As the temperature increases, the length of the tuning fork will also increase due to thermal expansion. This can be expressed as Δl = αlΔT, where Δl represents the change in length, α represents the coefficient of linear thermal expansion for quartz, and ΔT represents the change in temperature.

Now, we can combine these two equations to find the relationship between frequency and temperature. We get f ∝ 1/√(l + αlΔT), which can be simplified to f ∝ 1/√l(1 + αΔT). Since the watch keeps perfect time at 20°C, we can set the frequency at this temperature as the reference frequency, f0. This gives us the equation f0 ∝ 1/√l0, where l0 represents the length at 20°C.

To find the fractional gain or loss in time at different temperatures, we can use the equation Δf/f0 = (f-f0)/f0. Plugging in the equation for f0, we get Δf/f0 = (√l0 - √l)/√l0. Substituting the given values, we get Δf/f0 = (√6 - √6.36)/√6. At 0°C, ΔT = -20°C, so we get Δf/f0 = (√6 - √6.36)/√6 = -0.02%. Similarly, at 30°C, ΔT = 10°C, so we get Δf/f0 = (√6 - √6.18)/√6 = -0.004%.

In conclusion, at 0°C, the fractional gain

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and analyze relationships between numbers.

2. How is algebra used in a quartz tuning fork watch?

Algebra is used in the design and production of a quartz tuning fork watch to determine the correct frequency of the tuning fork needed to keep accurate time. The frequency is calculated using the formula f=1/2π√(k/m), where k is the stiffness of the tuning fork and m is its mass.

3. What is a quartz tuning fork watch?

A quartz tuning fork watch is a type of electronic watch that uses a quartz crystal oscillator to keep time. The watch contains a small tuning fork made of quartz crystal which vibrates at a very specific frequency when an electric current is passed through it. These vibrations are then counted and converted into time units to display on the watch face.

4. How accurate is a quartz tuning fork watch?

Quartz tuning fork watches are generally very accurate, with a margin of error of only a few seconds per month. This is because the frequency of the quartz crystal is highly stable and consistent, making it a reliable timekeeping mechanism.

5. What are the advantages of using a quartz tuning fork watch?

There are several advantages to using a quartz tuning fork watch, including its accuracy, reliability, and affordability. It also requires very little maintenance compared to mechanical watches, making it a popular choice for everyday use. Additionally, quartz tuning fork watches do not require regular winding or adjustments, making them convenient for people with busy lifestyles.