Algebra with absolute value. Please help me to to solve.

In summary, the conversation discusses an algebra problem involving solving for the values of x and y in two equations with absolute value signs. The conversation also includes a hint for solving the problem, suggesting to consider different possibilities for each variable separately and plotting the two graphs in the xy plane.
Jim_
I came across this algebra problem, can someone please help me solve this problem? Please show the steps as well. Much appreciated.

|(x-1)| + |(y-3)| = 11
|(x- 3)| + |(y-17)| = 3

Find the nearest/possible x and y

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to a homework forum, because it's a textbook-style problem, and we treat all textbook-style problems as homework. We only give hints here, not complete solutions. You are required to post your own thoughts on how to solve the problem, up to the point where you're stuck.

I can give you one hint right now. You can get rid of the absolute value signs by considering several possibilities separately.

Last edited:
|x- 1| is 1- x for x less than 1, x- 1 for x greater than or equal to 1. Similarly for |x-3|. So there are 3 possiblities to consider: x< 1, 1< x< 3, and x> 3.

For y, we have the same situation: y< 3, 3< y< 17, and y> 17. Since x and y are independent, you have to consider each of the three x situations with all three of the y situations, a total of 3x3= 9 cases. You had better get busy!

@Jim_ I suggest you plot those two graphs in the xy plane and have a look.

Related to Algebra with absolute value. Please help me to to solve.

What is absolute value?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that gives the distance between a number and zero on a number line. It is represented by vertical bars surrounding a number, and it always results in a positive value.

How do you solve equations with absolute value?

To solve equations with absolute value, you first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, create two separate equations, one with the positive value and one with the negative value of the absolute value expression. Solve both equations for the variable and check the solutions in the original equation to determine which are valid.

Can absolute value be negative?

No, absolute value is always positive. It represents the distance from zero, which is always a positive value regardless of the direction on the number line.

What is the difference between absolute value and modulus?

Absolute value and modulus are often used interchangeably, but they have different definitions. The absolute value of a number is its positive distance from zero on a number line, while the modulus of a number is its magnitude or size. In other words, the modulus can be negative if the number itself is negative, while the absolute value is always positive.

What are some real-life applications of algebra with absolute value?

Algebra with absolute value is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate distances, velocities, and accelerations. It can also be used in economics and finance to analyze data with both positive and negative values. Additionally, it is used in computer science for coding and error correction algorithms.