Find the values of a real number ##a## for an inequality to hold

In summary, the problem is to find the set of all possible real values of a such that the inequality (x-(a-1))(x-(a^2+2))<0 holds for all x in the interval (-1,3). After some algebra, three values of a are found: a=0, +/-1. However, these values do not satisfy the given problem conditions. The book's solution that a must satisfy both a-1<=-1 and a^2+2>=3 is correct, and the inequality holds on a larger interval (-2,3) when a=-1. This is because the problem does not require that the inequality holds only on the specified interval, but on a larger interval. The
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Find the set of all possible real values of ##a## such that the inequality ##(x-(a-1))(x-(a^2+2))<0## holds for all ##x \in (-1,3)##
Relevant Equations
If ##\boldsymbol{(x-a)(x-b)<0\Rightarrow x \in (a,b)}##, where ##a<b##. We remember that the "interval" ##(a,b)## stands for the set of all real numbers ##x## such that ##a < x < b##.
1662464953603.png
Problem statement :
Let me copy and paste the problem as it appears in the text.
Attempt : From the "Relevant Equations" given above, we can compare to see that ##a-1 = -1## and ##a^2+2=3##. These lead (after some algebra) to the three values of ##\boxed{a=0, \pm 1}##.

Issue : The book has a different answer. It says ##\boxed{a\le -1}##.

Book's solution : I copy and paste the solution given in the book below.

1662465350298.png
1662465368917.png

Doubt : Besides not following the solution in the text, let's investigate its answer to the problem, viz. ##\boxed{a\le -1}##. So let me take a value of ##a##, say ##a=-3##. That would make the inequality read ##(x+4)(x-11)<0##. This would lead to the following interval for ##x \in (-4,11)##, clearly different from the given interval [##x \in (-1,3)##].

Is the book mistaken? A hint or a suggestion would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement:: Find the set of all possible real values of ##a## such that the inequality ##(x-(a-1))(x-(a^2+2))<0## holds for all ##x \in (-1,3)##

Attempt : From the "Relevant Equations" given above, we can compare to see that ##a-1 = -1## and ##a^2+2=3##. These lead (after some algebra) to the three values of ##\boxed{a=0, \pm 1}##.
If we take ##a = 0## (one of your solutions), then we need:
$$\forall x \in (-1, 3): (x+1)(x-2) < 0 $$This fails for ##x = 2.5##, say. So ##a=0## is not a solution.

Likewise for ##a = 1## we need:
$$\forall x \in (-1, 3): (x)(x-3) < 0 $$This fails for ##x = 0##, say. So ##a=1## is not a solution.

For ##a = -1## we need:
$$\forall x \in (-1, 3): (x+2)(x-3) < 0 $$The inequality holds on that interval. So ##a=-1## is a solution.
brotherbobby said:
Doubt : Besides not following the solution in the text, let's investigate its answer to the problem, viz. ##\boxed{a\le -1}##. So let me take a value of ##a##, say ##a=-3##. That would make the inequality read ##(x+4)(x-11)<0##. This would lead to the following interval for ##x \in (-4,11)##, clearly different from the given interval [##x \in (-1,3)##].
The interval ##(-4, 11)## contains the interval ##(-1, 3)##, so the inequality holds on this interval. As required. The question does not require that the inequality holds only on the specified interval.

Likes FactChecker and topsquark
You cannot require both [itex]a -1 = -1[/itex] and [itex]a^2 + 2 = 3[/itex]: The first requires [itex]a = 0[/itex], the second requires [itex]a = \pm 1[/itex]. You do not get three possible values for [itex]a[/itex] from these conditions; you get zero possible values of [itex]a[/itex].

So in fact there is no choice of [itex]a[/itex] for which [itex](x - (a-1))(x - (a^2 + 2)) < 0[/itex] holds only for [itex]x \in (-1,3)[/itex] and not otherwise; the book's solution that [itex]a[/itex] must satisfy both [itex]a - 1 \leq -1[/itex] and [itex]a^2 + 2 \geq 3[/itex] and the inequality hold for some larger interval (which cannot be made smaller than (-2,3) when [itex]a = -1[/itex]) is correct.

Likes SammyS
pasmith said:
You cannot require both [itex]a -1 = -1[/itex] and [itex]a^2 + 2 = 3[/itex]: The first requires [itex]a = 0[/itex], the second requires [itex]a = \pm 1[/itex]. You do not get three possible values for [itex]a[/itex] from these conditions; you get zero possible values of [itex]a[/itex].

So in fact there is no choice of [itex]a[/itex] for which [itex](x - (a-1))(x - (a^2 + 2)) < 0[/itex] holds only for [itex]x \in (-1,3)[/itex] and not otherwise; the book's solution that [itex]a[/itex] must satisfy both [itex]a - 1 \leq -1[/itex] and [itex]a^2 + 2 \geq 3[/itex] and the inequality hold for some larger interval (which cannot be made smaller than (-2,3) when [itex]a = -1[/itex]) is correct.
It's with the first paragraph of your response that I am struggling with. If a variable like ##a## can have values less than or equal to 1 (##a\le 1##) which is the answer, surely ##a## can take a range of values and yet satisfy the given problem situation. Why then can it not be 0 and ##\pm 1##? Surely it could have taken those three values. It doesn't, for as @PeroK has shown in post #2, they would violate the problem conditions. My question is that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with a variable having two or more values, is there?

PeroK said:
The question does not require that the inequality holds only on the specified interval.
Thank you @PeroK. I suppose this is the main place where I was mistaken. The inequality would hold in an interval beyond the one that is given, viz. ##(-1,3)##.

brotherbobby said:
Thank you @PeroK. I suppose this is the main place where I was mistaken. The inequality would hold in an interval beyond the one that is given, viz. ##(-1,3)##.
Suppose you had a train ticket and wanted to travel on a Wednesday. So, you ask whether the ticket is valid on Wednesday? Suppose the ticket is valid Monday to Friday. What answer would you expect:

A) No. The ticket is not valid on Wednesday- it's valid Monday to Friday.

B) Yes. The ticket is valid on Wednesday- because Wednesday is a subset of Monday to Friday.

From my point of view, "no" would be a strange, illogical answer

PeroK said:
Suppose you had a train ticket and wanted to travel on a Wednesday. So, you ask whether the ticket is valid on Wednesday? Suppose the ticket is valid Monday to Friday. What answer would you expect:

A) No. The ticket is not valid on Wednesday- it's valid Monday to Friday.

B) Yes. The ticket is valid on Wednesday- because Wednesday is a subset of Monday to Friday.

From my point of view, "no" would be a strange, illogical answer
Yes, it would be B), in answer to your question.

What made my given problem above in post# 1 a bit tricky is that there was apparently "two" intervals, one in the variable ##a## [##(a-1, a^2+2)##] and another in integers [##(-1,3)##]. A student might equate them, as I did. Doing so however gave wrong answers for the value of ##a##. The trick is to realize that the interval given by variable ##a## includes that given with the integers.

brotherbobby said:
It's with the first paragraph of your response that I am struggling with. If a variable like ##a## can have values less than or equal to 1 (##a\le 1##) which is the answer, surely ##a## can take a range of values and yet satisfy the given problem situation. Why then can it not be 0 and ##\pm 1##?

[itex]a[/itex] must lie in a set of permissible values. When you impose the constraint [itex]a -1= -1[/itex] you limit that set to just [itex]\{0\}[/itex]. None of the members of this set satisfy the further constraint [itex]a^2 +2= 3[/itex]. That [itex]\pm 1[/itex] do satisfy this constraint does not assist you: the first constraint already excluded them from consideration. The set of permissible values is empty.

It is in this sense that you cannot impose both constraints: they do not lead to a solution.

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥, indicating that one quantity is greater or less than the other.

What is a real number?

A real number is a number that can be represented on a number line. It includes all rational and irrational numbers, such as integers, fractions, decimals, and square roots.

What does it mean to "find the values of a real number"?

To find the values of a real number means to determine the range of values that the number can take on in order for a given inequality to be true.

How do I solve an inequality to find the values of a real number?

To solve an inequality, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you can use properties of inequalities and basic algebraic operations to manipulate the inequality and determine the range of values for the variable.

Why is it important to find the values of a real number in an inequality?

Finding the values of a real number in an inequality is important because it allows us to understand the conditions under which the inequality is true. This can help us make decisions and solve real-world problems involving inequalities.