Algebraic Operations on Energy-Momentum Relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a calculation related to the energy-momentum relationship in algebra. The issue is identified as a misunderstanding of the concept, specifically the use of the square root. The corrected calculation is provided, resulting in a simpler expression.
alan123hk
This is just basic algebra for the energy-momentum relationship, but the calculations confuse me. May I ask what is wrong with my concept or calculation causing the following problem.

1654145948091.png

Maybe it's because I'm getting older, my ability to think and calculate has declined...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Second line counting from the bottom - the square root should not be there since you raised it to the second power in the third line from the bottom.

Last edited:
Likes alan123hk
weirdoguy said:
Third line counting from the bottom - the square root should not be there since you raised it to the second power.
My goodness!
got it, thanks.

Likes weirdoguy
Simpler is
$$E^2 - p^2 c^2 = \gamma^2m^2c^4(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})$$And the result follows immediately as the expression in brackets equals ##\frac 1 {\gamma^2}##

• Informative
Likes alan123hk

1. What is the concept of energy-momentum relationships in algebraic operations?

The concept of energy-momentum relationships in algebraic operations is based on the principle of conservation of energy and momentum. This means that in any physical system, the total energy and momentum before and after an interaction or process remains constant. Algebraic operations are used to mathematically represent and analyze these relationships.

2. How are energy and momentum related in algebraic operations?

In algebraic operations, energy and momentum are related through the equation E = pc, where E is energy, p is momentum, and c is the speed of light. This equation is derived from the special theory of relativity and is known as the energy-momentum relationship. It shows that energy and momentum are two different aspects of the same physical quantity.

3. What are the key principles of algebraic operations on energy-momentum relationships?

The key principles of algebraic operations on energy-momentum relationships include the conservation of energy and momentum, the use of mathematical equations to represent these relationships, and the understanding that energy and momentum are interchangeable quantities.

4. How are energy-momentum relationships used in practical applications?

Energy-momentum relationships are used in various practical applications, such as in particle accelerators and nuclear reactions. They are also important in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds, such as in space travel and in the study of black holes.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using algebraic operations on energy-momentum relationships?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using algebraic operations on energy-momentum relationships include not considering all forms of energy and momentum in a system, using incorrect mathematical equations, and not properly accounting for the conservation of energy and momentum. It is important to carefully analyze and understand the physical system before applying algebraic operations to it.