Algebraic Thermodynamics - Power absorbed and emitted by human body

In summary, the emissivity of human skin is 97.0 percent at a temperature of 35.0 °C. In a room with a temperature of 26.5 °C, the human body absorbs 1444.5 watts of power and loses 171 joules per second. For a gas with 2.19 mol of Hydrogen, initially at a temperature of 342 K and pressure of 1.68×105 Pa, the final volume after reversible and isothermal compression is 0.5691 m^3. The external force performed 10548 joules of work, and the final temperature after adiabatic expansion to the original pressure would be 11.22 K.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Problem 1

The emissivity of the human skin is 97.0 percent. Use 35.0 °C for the skin temperature and approximate the human body by a rectangular block with a height of 1.97 m, a width of 41.0 cm and a length of 34.5 cm.

a) Calculate the power emitted by the human body.

Fortunately our environment radiates too. The human body absorbs this radiation with an absorbance of 97.0 percent, so we don't lose our internal energy so quickly.

b) How much power do we absorb when we are in a room where the temperature is 26.5 °C?c) How much energy does our body lose in one second?

Problem 2

n = 2.19 mol of Hydrogen gas is initially at T = 342 K temperature and pi = 1.68×105 Pa pressure. The gas is then reversibly and isothermally compressed until its pressure reaches pf = 9.14×105 Pa.

a) What is the volume of the gas at the end of the compression process?b) How much work did the external force perform?c) What would be the temperature of the gas, if the gas was allowed to adiabatically expand back to its original pressure?

Homework Equations

Problem 1

[tex]P\,=\,\epsilon\,\sigma\,A\,T^4[/tex]

Problem 2

[tex]P\,V\,=\,n\,R\,T[/tex]

[tex]C\,=\,\frac{p_f\,V_f}{T}[/tex]

[tex]T\,=\,\frac{p_i\,V_i}{C}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1

[tex]A\,=\,2\,a\,b\,+\,2\,b\,c\,+\,2\,a\,c[/tex]

[tex]A\,=\,2\,\left(1.97\,m\right)\,\left(0.41\,m
\right)\,+\,2\,\left(0.41\,m\right)\,\left(0.345\,m
\right)\,+\,2\,\left(1.97\,m\right)\,\left(0.345\,m
\right)[/tex]

[tex]A\,=\,3.2576\,m^2[/tex]

[tex]T_e\,=\,35\,+\,273.15\,=\,308.15\,K[/tex]

[tex]T_a\,=\,26.5\,+\,273.15\,=\,299.65\,K[/tex]
a)

[tex]P_e\,=\,\epsilon\,\sigma\,A\,T_e^4\,=\,\left(0.97
\right)\,\left(5.67\,X\,10^{-8}\,\frac{W}{m^2\,K^4}\right)\,\left(3.2576\,m^2
\right)\,\left(308.15\,K\right)^4[/tex]

[tex]P_e\,=\,1615.5\,W[/tex]
b)

[tex]P_a\,=\,\alpha\,\sigma\,A\,T_a^4\,=\,\left(0.97
\right)\,\left(5.67\,X\,10^{-8}\,\frac{W}{m^2\,K^4}\right)\,\left(3.2576\,m^2
\right)\,\left(299.65\,K\right)^4[/tex]

[tex]P_a\,=\,1444.5\,W[/tex]
c)

[tex]P\,=\,P_a\,-\,P_e\,=\,1444.5\,W\,-\,1615.5\,W\,=\,-171\,W[/tex]

Therefore, a dude (possibly a http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43866502/ns/technology_and_science-science/" ), who is freezing his wey-bowls off ([itex]95^{\circ}\,F[/itex] body temperature!) loses...

[tex]171\,\frac{J}{s}[/tex]

Problem 2

[tex]n\,R\,T\,=\,\left(2.19\,mol\right)\,\left(8.314\,
\frac{J}{mol\,K}\right)\,\left(342\,K\right)\,=\,6227\,J[/tex]
a)

[tex]p_f\,V_f\,=\,n\,R\,T[/tex]

[tex]V_f\,=\,\frac{n\,R\,T}{p_f}\,=\,\frac{6227\,J}{1.68\,X\,10^5\,Pa}[/tex]

[tex]V_f\,=\,0.5691\,m^3[/tex]

b)

[tex]V_i\,=\,\frac{n\,R\,T}{p_i}\,=\,\frac{6227\,J}{1.68\,X\,10^5\,Pa}\,=\,0.1046\,m^3[/tex]

[tex]W_{i\,-\,f}\,=\,n\,R\,T\,ln\,\frac{V_f}{V_i}\,=\,10548\,J[/tex]

c)

[tex]C\,=\,\frac{p_f\,V_f}{T}\,=\,\frac{\left(9.14\,X\,10^5\,Pa\right)\,\left(0.5691\,m^3\right)}{\left(342\,K\right)}\,=\,1566[/tex]

[tex]T\,=\,\frac{p_i\,V_i}{C}\,=\,\frac{\left(1.68\,X\,10^-5\,Pa\right)\,\left(0.1046\,m^3\right)}{1566}[/tex]

[tex]T\,=\,11.22\,K[/tex]

Which is really freezing!Does this all seem correct? Or are there some things that I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculations and equations seem to be correct for both problems. However, for problem 2, it would be helpful to include units in your final answer for part c (temperature), as it is currently listed as just a number. Additionally, it would be beneficial to show your work for finding the final temperature in part c, as you have done for the other parts of the problem. Other than that, your solution looks sound. Good job!

1. How is power absorbed and emitted by the human body measured in algebraic thermodynamics?

In algebraic thermodynamics, power absorbed and emitted by the human body is typically measured in terms of heat flow, which is the rate at which thermal energy is transferred between the body and its environment. This is often quantified using the unit of watts (W).

2. What factors affect the power absorbed and emitted by the human body?

The power absorbed and emitted by the human body is influenced by a variety of factors such as body size, composition, physical activity, and environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity). These factors can impact the body's metabolic rate, which is the rate at which it converts energy from food into heat and work.

3. How does algebraic thermodynamics explain the body's ability to regulate its temperature?

In algebraic thermodynamics, the body's ability to regulate its temperature is described by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Therefore, the body must balance the heat absorbed and emitted in order to maintain a stable internal temperature.

4. Can algebraic thermodynamics be used to calculate the power output of the human body during physical activity?

Yes, algebraic thermodynamics can be used to estimate the power output of the human body during physical activity by measuring factors such as heart rate, oxygen consumption, and carbon dioxide production. These measurements can then be used in equations to calculate the body's metabolic rate and power output.

5. How does algebraic thermodynamics factor into the study of human performance and energy expenditure?

Algebraic thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the study of human performance and energy expenditure. By understanding the body's thermodynamic processes and how they relate to physical activity, researchers can develop more accurate models and predictive equations for energy expenditure. This information is valuable for athletes, medical professionals, and researchers alike.