Algorithm Time Complexity in Big Theta: Solving an Asymptotic Analysis Problem

In summary, the asymptotic time complexity of the given algorithm can be written in Big Theta notation as 45^{n}.
GeorgeCostanz

Homework Statement

i've been asked to find the asymptotic time complexity of an algorithm in Big Theta

78045522000 + n[itex]^{2}[/itex]log[itex]^{3}[/itex]n + n[itex]^{3}[/itex]logn + 200n + 45[itex]^{n}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

from my understanding Big Theta is a tight/exact bound, but I'm not sure how to write the proper answer.

i came to the conclusion it's = Big Theta(n[itex]^{2}[/itex]log[itex]^{3}[/itex]n + n[itex]^{3}[/itex]logn + 200n + 45[itex]^{n}[/itex]) (removing constants, including both upper and lower bounds)

i'd appreciate it if someone could let me kno how wrong I am and set me on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to provide a clear and accurate response to this forum post. Firstly, you are correct in your understanding that Big Theta is a tight or exact bound for the time complexity of an algorithm. In this case, the asymptotic time complexity can be written as Big Theta of the highest order term, which in this case is 45^{n}. This means that the algorithm has a time complexity of O(45^{n}), where n is the size of the input. It is important to note that this is an exponential time complexity, which means that as the input size increases, the time taken by the algorithm will increase at a much faster rate. This can lead to long processing times and is something to consider when analyzing the efficiency of the algorithm. Additionally, it is important to mention that constants and lower order terms are typically ignored when determining the time complexity in Big Theta notation, so the final answer would be Big Theta(45^{n}). I hope this helps to clarify the concept of asymptotic time complexity and how it applies to the given algorithm.

1. What is algorithm time complexity in Big Theta?

Algorithm time complexity in Big Theta is a measure of the running time of an algorithm as the input size increases. It is represented using the notation Θ(n), where n is the input size. It provides an upper and lower bound for the running time of an algorithm, indicating the best and worst case scenarios.

2. How is Big Theta different from Big O and Big Omega?

Big Theta, Big O, and Big Omega are all notations used to analyze the time complexity of an algorithm. Big Theta provides a tight bound on the running time, while Big O provides an upper bound and Big Omega provides a lower bound. In other words, Big Theta represents the best case and worst case scenarios, while Big O and Big Omega represent only the worst case and best case scenarios, respectively.

3. How is the time complexity of an algorithm determined?

The time complexity of an algorithm is determined by analyzing the number of operations or instructions that are executed as the input size increases. This is usually done by counting the number of basic operations, such as assignments, comparisons, and arithmetic operations, that are performed in the algorithm.

4. Can two algorithms have the same Big Theta notation?

Yes, two algorithms can have the same Big Theta notation. This means that they have the same worst case and best case scenarios and their running times grow at the same rate as the input size increases. However, their actual running times may still differ due to differences in their constant factors or lower order terms.

5. How can Big Theta notation be used to compare algorithms?

Big Theta notation can be used to compare algorithms by looking at their worst case and best case scenarios and their growth rates. Generally, an algorithm with a lower Big Theta notation will have a better performance than an algorithm with a higher Big Theta notation. However, it is important to consider other factors, such as memory usage and ease of implementation, when comparing algorithms.