Alignment of a Rotary Kiln Neck

In summary, the customer is experiencing wobbling issues with their rotary kiln and is seeking support to solve the problem. One suggested solution is to cut and relocate the kiln neck in order to eliminate wobbling caused by the kiln shell. The customer is also considering the more expensive and complex option of cutting and replacing part of the overheated kiln shell. They are asking for guidance on the procedure and measurements needed to determine the correct position for the kiln neck.
Luiz Cavatte
Hi,
i´d like to ask support to solve the following problem:
One of my customers has an horizontal rotary kiln, equipped with riding rings and carryings rollers. Due to some overheating of the kiln shell, nowadays the whole kiln and the kiln neck is wobbling about 70 mm (+-35 mm) around the kiln discharge and this shell wobbling is destroying the sealing door around the kiln neck.
My idea is then to cut only the kiln neck and relocate it so that it would rotate according to its own centerline, therefore eliminating the wobbling on the neck, which comes from the kiln shell. I would like to ask the procedure (what to measure, how to measure, etc) to find out the position where the neck wouldn´t be wobbling anymore.

Find attached a skecth about the situation.

The other way to solve the problem would be to cut/replace part of the overheated kiln shell, in order to eliminate the wobbling in the whole shell. But this is much more expensive and complex.

Thanks a lot if you can help me!

Attachments

• Kiln neck alignment.jpg
    Kiln neck alignment.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 502
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the purpose of aligning a rotary kiln neck?

The alignment of a rotary kiln neck ensures that the kiln is operating at maximum efficiency and reduces the risk of mechanical failures. It also helps to evenly distribute the load and maintain the structural integrity of the kiln.

2. How often should the alignment of a rotary kiln neck be checked?

The alignment of a rotary kiln neck should be checked at least once a year, or more frequently if there are signs of wear or misalignment. Regular maintenance can help prevent costly repairs and downtime.

3. What are the signs of a misaligned rotary kiln neck?

A misaligned rotary kiln neck can cause uneven wear on the tires, excessive vibration, and increased energy consumption. Other signs may include abnormal noises and irregular temperature readings.

4. How is the alignment of a rotary kiln neck measured?

The alignment of a rotary kiln neck is typically measured using laser technology or traditional alignment methods such as dial indicators or feeler gauges. These measurements are compared to the manufacturer's specifications to determine if adjustments are necessary.

5. Who is responsible for aligning a rotary kiln neck?

The responsibility for aligning a rotary kiln neck typically falls on the maintenance or engineering department of the facility. It is important to have trained professionals perform the alignment to ensure accuracy and safety.

Back