Also about the Planck hypothesis

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planck
In summary: So when Planck talks about oscillators or vibrators, he is referring to some unknown microscopic entities that are responsible for the emission and absorption of electromagnetic radiation. It wasn't until later, with the work of Bohr and others, that the atomic model we are familiar with today started to take shape. So in summary, Planck's hypothesis was a mathematical concept that fit the experimental data, and the physical interpretation of the "oscillators" or "vibrators" would come later with the development of quantum mechanics.
snoopies622
These questions are rather like the one mahela007 just asked, but are perhaps a little more specific.

I have never clearly understood how the Planck hypothesis (E=nhf for the oscillators of a black body) fits into the later quantum theory of Schrodinger, Heisenberg, et al. Specifically,

1. Since the year 1900 was before the work of Rutherford and Bohr produced a model of the atom that is similar to the familiar, more modern one (massive positive charges surrounded by light, negative ones), what exactly did Planck think was oscillating at frequency f?

2. Solving the Schrodinger equation for a quantum harmonic oscillator yields descrete energy levels separated by nhf. Is this why the Planck hypothesis works? That is, are the restoring forces between atoms/molecules in a solid body Hooke-like (directly proportional to their displacement from an equilibrium position)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
1. Since the year 1900 was before the work of Rutherford and Bohr produced a model of the atom that is similar to the familiar, more modern one (massive positive charges surrounded by light, negative ones), what exactly did Planck think was oscillating at frequency f?

He didn't. He just realized that it fit experimental data. Note, however, that is was well known that there was something wrong with the classical (non-quantized) approach since it gave unreasonable results; meaning Planck had a good reason for trying "strange" approaches.

2. Solving the Schrodinger equation for a quantum harmonic oscillator yields descrete energy levels separated by nhf. Is this why the Planck hypothesis works? That is, are the restoring forces between atoms/molecules in a solid body Hooke-like (directly proportional to their displacement from an equilibrium position)?

Yes and no. The reason why the approach works is ultimately because photons really exist (whatever that means) and are not just "mathematical constructs", it also turns out they have the properties suggested by Planck and Einstein.
There is a mathematical connection between photons and the "restoring force" in atoms/molecules but the very same connection holds for many other systems. There are a huge number of systems that behave approximately like harmonic oscillators as long as the deviation from equilibrium is small (it is easy to see way if you Taylor expand some common potentials), atoms/molecules are just one example.

f95toli said:
snoopies622 said:
...what exactly did Planck think was oscillating at frequency f?
He didn't. He just realized that it fit experimental data.
So to Planck the f only referred to the frequency of the emitted electromagnetic radiation - and yet he didn't believe that light itself was quantized?

snoopies622 said:
So to Planck the f only referred to the frequency of the emitted electromagnetic radiation - and yet he didn't believe that light itself was quantized?

I'm going to copy and paste from my thesis here:

In his book, Black-Body Theory and the Quantum Discontinuity 1894 – 1912, Thomas Kuhn discusses the history of the discontinuity, or incompatibility, between quantum and classical mechanics. Kuhn claims that Planck did not recognize quantum mechanics as a new and incompatible theory until nearly a decade after first introducing the quantum concept. Kuhn writes, “Planck himself did not publicly acknowledge the need for discontinuity until 1909, and there is no evidence that he had recognized it until the year before.” James Cushing agrees and writes, “For several years he attempted to fit this new approach into the framework of classical physics, but he finally accepted the reality of quanta.”

In the same book, Kuhn cites Einstein as introducing the concept of a quantized light-particle in 1906, 3 years before Planck admitted the possibility that such a move away from continuous classical concepts had to be made. Kuhn, regarding this move by Einstein, states, “In a sense, it announces the birth of the quantum theory.”

Edit: I forgot I had some Planck quotes in here too...

Planck, when first proposing the quantization of exchanges of energy with black bodies, offered no interpretation at all. Commenting on his experimentally perfect black body equation, Planck stated that “it could not be expected to possesses more than a formal significance.” He also wrote, “on the very day when I formulated this law, I began to devote myself to the task of investing it with a true physical meaning.”

Last edited:
Kote's post # 4 tracks with what I have read...that Planck introduced/discovered the mathematical concepts...but Einstein understood the physical phenomena related to theoretical discreteness...that the frequency (color) of light not its total energy controls the ejection of electrons in the photoelectric effect

that's why eventually discrimination the of the day was overcome and Einstein was finally awarded a Nobel... for the photoelectric effect...

snoopies622 said:

My guess was that he didn't believe anything at first. It is not at all uncommon for scientist to FIRST discover that an expression fits experimental data and THEN figure out what that expression means physically. It is very possible that he simply one day said to himself: "Hmm, I wonder what happens if I let the energy be equal to some constant times the frequency".
Keep in mind here that Planck's constant (obviously) wasn't known at the time, meaning h was -as far as Planck was concerned- initially just a phenomological constant whose value he picked so that his expression matched experimental data.

f95toli said:
My guess was that he didn't believe anything at first.

See above. No need to guess :smile:.

I ask question (1) because my introductory physics books describe the Planck hypothesis as referring to "oscillators", "atomic oscillators", "atomic vibrators", etc. without going into any detail as to what these oscillating things actually are, so I was wondering what Planck himself had in mind. I don't have a copy of his original paper. Has anyone read it?

You have to keep in mind that in Planck's day, physicists knew very little about the structure of matter. The electron had only recently been discovered, and physicists were trying to figure out how to arrange it together with positive charge in a way that would produce stable neutral matter.

They did know, from Maxwell's Equations, supported by experiments by Hertz etc., that oscillating charges produce electromagnetic waves. So it was reasonable for them to assume that light originates in some kind of oscillating-charge phenomenon in matter. In the case of electromagnetic radiation inside a cavity (black-body radiation), those oscillators would have to be in the walls of the cavity. They could take that idea and develop predictions from it, even though they didn't know exactly what those oscillators were.

snoopies622 said:
I ask question (1) because my introductory physics books describe the Planck hypothesis as referring to "oscillators", "atomic oscillators", "atomic vibrators", etc. without going into any detail as to what these oscillating things actually are, so I was wondering what Planck himself had in mind. I don't have a copy of his original paper. Has anyone read it?

I'm going to put in my two cents here because I don't think this question has been properly answered yet. They key point here is thermodynamics. Thermodynamic laws don't depend on the specific property of any material. So we are free to imagine any material with physically plausible properties, and the laws of thermodynamics should apply to that material. Specifically, the equilibrium energy distribution of radiation within a cavity should be the same no matter what material object is assumed to mediate the distribution. It can be a real atom or it can be a tiny imaginary charged mass-on-a-spring. That is the basis of Planck's approach: that for the purpose of analysis, it doesn't matter if you use real atoms or imaginary oscillators.

By the way, Schroedinger's disccovery twenty-six years later finally showed that the harmonic oscillator is a good model for the atom.

Related to Also about the Planck hypothesis

1. What is the Planck hypothesis?

The Planck hypothesis, also known as Planck's quantum theory, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics proposed by physicist Max Planck in 1900. It states that energy is not continuous but is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete units called "quanta". This laid the foundation for understanding the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does the Planck hypothesis relate to the study of light?

Planck's hypothesis was initially proposed to explain the behavior of light and its interaction with matter. It stated that light is not continuous but is emitted and absorbed in discrete packets of energy called photons, which have a specific frequency and energy related to each other by Planck's constant. This formed the basis of the study of quantum mechanics and revolutionized our understanding of light and its properties.

3. What is Planck's constant and how is it related to the Planck hypothesis?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It has a value of approximately 6.63 x 10^-34 joule-seconds. Planck's constant is a crucial part of the Planck hypothesis, as it quantifies the relationship between energy and frequency of electromagnetic radiation, which was previously thought to be continuous.

4. How does the Planck hypothesis impact our understanding of the universe?

The Planck hypothesis is a significant concept in modern physics, as it helped to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It also provided a basis for the development of quantum mechanics, which has had a profound impact on many fields, including particle physics, chemistry, and engineering. Additionally, the Planck hypothesis has led to the discovery of new phenomena, such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle, which have expanded our understanding of the universe.

5. How has the Planck hypothesis been tested and confirmed?

Since its proposal, the Planck hypothesis has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous experiments was the photoelectric effect, which provided strong evidence for the existence of photons and their quantized energy levels. Other experiments, such as the double-slit experiment and the Compton effect, have also confirmed the predictions of the Planck hypothesis. Today, the Planck hypothesis is a well-established principle in modern physics and is widely accepted by the scientific community.