Alternative form of geodesic equation for calculating Christoffels

In summary, the conversation is about the geodesic equation in general relativity. The first equation, written by Thomas Moore, is $0=\frac{d}{d\tau}(g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{dx^\beta}{d\tau})-\frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha g_{\mu\nu}\frac{dx^\mu}{d\tau}\frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau}$. The second equation, written by a friend, is $g_{\alpha j}\frac{d^2x^j}{d\tau^2}+(\partial_i g_{\alpha j}-\frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha g_{ij})\
Jason Bennett
From Thomas Moore A General Relativity Workbook I have the geodesic equation as,

$$ 0=\frac{d}{d \tau} (g_{\alpha \beta} \frac{dx^\beta}{d \tau}) - \frac{1}{2} \partial_\alpha g_{\mu\nu} \frac{dx^\mu}{d \tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d \tau} $$

as well as

$$ 0= \frac{d^2x^\gamma}{d \tau^2} + g^{\gamma\alpha} (\partial_\mu g_{\alpha\nu}-\frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha g_{\mu\nu}) \frac{dx^\mu}{d \tau} \frac{dx^\nu}{d \tau}.
$$

However, I have a friend writing down the geodesic equation as

$$ g_{\alpha j}\frac{d^2x^j}{d \tau^2} + (\partial_i g_{\alpha j}-\frac{1}{2}\partial_\alpha g_{ij}) \frac{dx^j}{d \tau} \frac{dx^i}{d \tau}.
$$

and getting the right answers.

And I losing my mind? Is that equation the geodesic equation?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last equation is not an equation (there is no equality sign). Assuming you meant to write = 0, it is clearly the same equation as your others just multiplying by the metric.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the alternative form of the geodesic equation?

The alternative form of the geodesic equation is known as the Christoffel symbol equation. It is used to calculate the Christoffel symbols, which are coefficients used in the calculation of geodesics, or the shortest paths between points on a curved surface.

2. How is the Christoffel symbol equation different from the traditional geodesic equation?

The traditional geodesic equation calculates the geodesic path using the metric tensor and its derivatives, while the Christoffel symbol equation uses the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor. This alternative form is often more convenient and efficient for certain calculations.

3. What are the advantages of using the Christoffel symbol equation?

One advantage of using the Christoffel symbol equation is that it simplifies the calculation of geodesics on curved surfaces. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the underlying geometry, as the Christoffel symbols represent the curvature of the surface at a given point.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Christoffel symbol equation?

While the Christoffel symbol equation is useful in many cases, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to surfaces with a constant curvature, and it does not take into account the effects of external forces on the geodesic path.

5. How is the Christoffel symbol equation used in practical applications?

The Christoffel symbol equation is used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is commonly used in the calculation of trajectories in space and in the design of curved surfaces in architecture and design. It is also used in the study of general relativity and other theories of gravity.