Am I going to use wye-delta transformation?

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of Rae, Rbf, Rah, Rcg, and Rbc and determining whether a wye-delta transformation can be used. The attempt at a solution involved checking for parallel connections between the resistors, and it was suggested to use wye-delta transformations for Rah and Rbc. Another approach was also mentioned, which involves reducing the resistors and then using KCL, KVL, or other analysis methods to solve for the current and use Ohm's Law to find the values. The conversation ends with a request for the value of Rah.
anning

Homework Statement

tumblr_inline_msdep5JJr01qz4rgp.jpg

Find Rae, Rbf, Rah, Rcg & Rbc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried checking if I could use wye-delta transformation. There seems to be no parallel connections between the resistors. Please do help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
anning said:

Homework Statement

tumblr_inline_msdep5JJr01qz4rgp.jpg

Find Rae, Rbf, Rah, Rcg & Rbc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried checking if I could use wye-delta transformation. There seems to be no parallel connections between the resistors. Please do help. Thank you
Hi anning, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You might use Δ-Y transformations for Rah [STRIKE]and Rbc[/STRIKE] (the others can be reduced via the usual serial/parallel reductions). You could also first reduce what you can and then stick a voltage source across the terminals in question and solve for the current using KCL, KVL, or other analysis methods. Then Ohm's Law yields R = V/I.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help!

Let us know what you get for Rah, please.

for reaching out for assistance.

I would suggest analyzing the circuit further to determine if wye-delta transformation can be used. If there are no parallel connections between the resistors, then it may not be applicable. However, there may be other methods or techniques that can be used to solve the circuit. It would be helpful to have a clearer understanding of the circuit and its components in order to determine the best approach for solving it.

Related to Am I going to use wye-delta transformation?

1. What is the purpose of using the wye-delta transformation?

The wye-delta transformation is used to simplify complex circuits by transforming them into equivalent circuits that are easier to analyze. This transformation is particularly useful for circuits with multiple resistors in parallel or series.

2. When should I use the wye-delta transformation?

The wye-delta transformation is typically used when analyzing circuits that have three or more resistors in parallel or series. It is also useful for circuits with a combination of parallel and series resistors.

3. How does the wye-delta transformation work?

The wye-delta transformation involves replacing three resistors connected in a Y-shaped configuration with an equivalent delta-shaped circuit, or vice versa. This is done by using a set of equations that relate the resistances in each configuration.

4. What are the benefits of using the wye-delta transformation?

Using the wye-delta transformation can simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It can also help to reduce the number of calculations needed to solve the circuit, saving time and effort. Additionally, the transformation can help to identify patterns and relationships within the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using the wye-delta transformation?

The wye-delta transformation is only applicable to circuits with resistors and does not work for circuits with other types of components such as capacitors or inductors. Additionally, the transformation may not always result in a more simplified circuit and may not be useful for circuits with only a few resistors.