Am I rewriting this differential correctly?

In summary, the correct way to rewrite a differential is to use the chain rule and substitute in the appropriate variables and their corresponding differentials. This ensures that the differential accurately represents the change in the function and variables. It is important to keep track of the differentials and their corresponding variables to avoid errors in the rewriting process.
thestrangequark

Homework Statement

I have a differential equation that I need to solve numerically by writing a program.
x0, y0, x_dot0, y_dot0, α are all given

Hello, I have the following differential equation: http://puu.sh/d78KC/107bd6c71f.png
I want to rewrite it so I can solve it numerically by writing a program. I believe I can replace L2 with m2 * r4 * theta_dot2 making the equation:

r_ddot= r*theta_dot2 * sin2 α -g sinαcosα

And for the problem to solve numerically, I am given the initial x and y position which I can use to solve r initial. I'm also given the initial x and y velocities, which I could solve the tangential velocity with. I then think I can replace theta_dot2 with v_tan2 /r2 making the equation

http://puu.sh/d6pd0/eefb56a511.png

Does this all work out as I've explained, or did I make an error anywhere?

Also, any suggestions on how to write a program to solve this numerically?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is alpha is a function of t or does the dot indicate a differentiation wrt alpha or something else?
Well, usually ##L=r\dot\theta##, yes.

I think you can solve for r(t) but you need more information to get x(t) and y(t) (or of alpha or whatever).

You need to be explicit about the method you want to use.
I'm guessing you are expected to use some sort of Rung-Kutta?
There are lots of examples of programming this online.

alpha is a constant. the dot means it is a differentiation wrt time. I'm trying to get r(t). If possible I would like to get x(t) and y(t) but I'm not sure how.

Your description of the problem is a mess, partly because you need to learn how to compose the equations so that we can read them. How confident are you that the starting equation is correct? Is dθ/dt a constant, independent of time? If so, why didn't you say that. If not, then you need another equation. Do you know how to convert from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates? Are you supposed to be solving the differential equations directly in terms of x and y? Or, are you allowed to solve in terms of the cylindrical coordinates, and then convert to cylindrical coordinates afterwards? You need to specify your problems more precisely for people who are trying to help you.

Chet

Yes, your rewriting of the differential equation looks correct. Your approach to solving it numerically by replacing L2 with m2*r4*theta_dot2 and theta_dot2 with v_tan2/r2 is also correct.

As for writing a program to solve this numerically, it would depend on the programming language you are using. However, a general approach would be to use a numerical integration method such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking down the differential equation into smaller steps and calculating the solution at each step. You can find many resources online that explain these methods in detail and provide sample code in various programming languages.

Additionally, you will need to consider the initial conditions and boundary conditions of the problem, as well as the accuracy and stability of your numerical solution. It may be helpful to consult with a mathematician or numerical analyst for further guidance on the best approach for your specific problem.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. Why is it important to rewrite differentials correctly?

Rewriting differentials correctly is crucial because it ensures that the equation is accurately representing the relationship between the function and its derivatives. It also allows for easier manipulation and solving of the equation.

3. What are the different methods of rewriting differentials?

There are several methods for rewriting differentials, including separating variables, using integrating factors, and using substitution. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of differential equations.

4. How do I know if I have rewritten a differential correctly?

You can check if you have rewritten a differential correctly by plugging it back into the original equation and making sure it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can compare your rewritten differential to known solutions of similar equations to ensure consistency.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when rewriting differentials?

Yes, there are several common mistakes to avoid when rewriting differentials. These include incorrect use of notation, forgetting to include constants of integration, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of these potential mistakes.