AM Modulation: Understanding Envelopes and Detection

In summary, the peaks of the V_AM(t) are tangent to the main signal V_main(t) when the modulation is restricted to be between +/–1.
Khaled Kord
i just had my first Signals processing Lecture, during AM modulation part my prof said that:
V_AM(t) = (V_main(t) + 1) * V_Carrier
while V_Carrier = sin (omega * t)

1-is there a proof that we get the envelop of a function by adding one then multiplying by some trig value?
2- what's the difference between main message function m(t) = A Cos(omega *t) and the term V(t) = A Sin(omega *t) ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A quick google of the topic was somewhat helpful with a diagram that it showed. To answer the first question, it appears if a carrier signal with steady amplitude is received, this will be seen (after demodulation) as a steady DC signal with zero ac (audio frequency) signal. The "1" in your equation is some arbitrary ## V_{DC} ##, and ## V_{AM}(t) ## is the r-f signal. The envelope is the sum of ## V_{main}(t) ## ,which is the ac (audio) signal, and ## V_{DC} ##. When the signal is demodulated, the envelope including the ## V_{DC} ## is recovered (e.g. with a half-wave rectifier), but that demodulated waveform can always be put into an ac coupled circuit where the ## V_{DC} ## gets blocked by the capacitor of the C-R (ac coupled) circuit and the ac (audio) portion of the envelope remains without the ## V_{DC} ##. I am not a communications or r-f expert, but I think I correctly answered your first question, at least in explaining where the equation comes from. Hopefully this was helpful. editing... To answer your second question, the main message function ## V_{main}(t) ## ## \ ## is at audio frequencies. Your "omega" in that equation will be limited to 60 kHz or thereabouts (i.e. ## 20 \ Hz<f_{audio}<10 \ kHz ## and ## \omega=2 \pi f ##). The carrier "omega" for ## V_{carrier}(t) ## meanwhile is in the Megahertz(radio frequency) range.

Last edited:
Khaled Kord said:
1-is there a proof that we get the envelop of a function by adding one then multiplying by some trig value?
If the modulation, V_main(t), is restricted in amplitude to be between +/–1 then, when the one is added, the modulation becomes unipolar. After the multiplication by the sinewave carrier the phase of the modulated carrier is never reversed, so the envelope of the signal peaks follows the modulation amplitude.

Likes Charles Link
Baluncore said:
If the modulation, V_main(t), is restricted in amplitude to be between +/–1 then, when the one is added, the modulation becomes unipolar. After the multiplication by the sinewave carrier the phase of the modulated carrier is never reversed, so the envelope of the signal peaks follows the modulation amplitude.

i think i didn't explain my first question right, i was asking that: who said the peaks of the V_AM(t) are tangent to the main signal V_main(t)? who said V_main(t) is an envelop? why doesn't it intersect in some arbitrary points like i draw in red (attached picture) ?

Attachments

• phFor.png
    phFor.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 424
Three features of AM detection regenerate the original AC modulation waveform.
1. Automatic Gain Control stabilises the amplitude of the received AM signal.
2. A peak follower tracks and so detects the envelope of the AM signal.
3. The detected envelope is AC coupled.

Your diagram shows peaks with amplitude Ac+Am and Ac-Am, that is addition and subtraction, but AM is multiplication.

1. What is an envelope in AM modulation?

The envelope in AM modulation refers to the shape of the amplitude (or strength) of the modulated signal. It is the smooth curve that outlines the peaks and valleys of the modulated signal. The envelope is important because it carries the information being transmitted.

2. How is the envelope created in AM modulation?

The envelope is created by multiplying the original carrier signal with the modulating signal. This results in a new signal with varying amplitude, which creates the envelope shape. The modulating signal can be an audio signal or any other form of information.

3. What is the purpose of the envelope in AM modulation?

The envelope serves as a carrier for the modulating signal, allowing it to be transmitted over long distances without significant loss of information. It also allows for easy demodulation of the signal at the receiver end.

4. How does the envelope affect the quality of the modulated signal?

The envelope can greatly impact the quality of the modulated signal. If the envelope is distorted or not well-defined, it can lead to poor quality and loss of information in the transmitted signal. This is why it is important to carefully control and maintain the envelope in AM modulation.

5. Can the envelope be affected by external factors?

Yes, the envelope can be affected by external factors such as interference, noise, and changes in the transmission medium. These external factors can cause distortions in the envelope, which can result in poor quality of the modulated signal. This is why it is important to use proper techniques and equipment to minimize these effects.