AM Radio signal IS sounding from my wall heater

In summary, the wall heater is producing AM radio waves, which is causing problems with audio and lighting.
ChipY
I am a video and sound engineer. There is clearly AM radio coming from my wall heater.
An earlier thread on this topic discussed the possibilities but ultimately left the subject with an assumed crazy old lady's false perception. I assure you this is happening.
There is a 50,000W AM station (6x 150' antennae) within a half mile and interference from this station is pronounced in the area. My speakers and recording equipment are useless here. Now the radio is clearly audible out of the wall heater. I've attempted to ground it better, shield it with sheet metal, disconnect all the wires, to no avail.
The incessant RF bombardment is a concern but the consistent annoyance of hearing the unwanted radio all night is truly horrible.
The wall heater started acting as a radio receiver around the same time we had solar panels installed on the roof. Maybe the panels/added wires are adding to the building's electrical load and exacerbating the already insufficient grounding? Help please!

Science news on Phys.org
Is it possible to modify the heater?
Sound coming from the heater means some part of the unit must be vibrating. Can you disassemble the heater and add support and/or additional attachment points for the vibrating component so that it no longer vibrates at audible levels.

Note: Only do this if you are completely sure you will not not turn the heater into a fire hazard.

Edit: does the heater sound at all times or only when turned on?

Last edited:
Hi
welcome to PF
living that close to such a high RF field can often cause weird probs like that

If it happens only when the unit is powered, there's obviously something in the heater that is producing a diode action and demodulating the RF to audio
If happens when power is also off, then its possible that 2 joining sections of the metal casing have small bare spots and are acting like a diode and rectifying the RF ... just like an old wire thread and a galena crystal

what sort of heater is it ? split cycle aircon that can supply hot and cold ( winter/summer) ?
or something much more basic ?

This caused a few problems in WW2 when the BBC started broadcasting messages to Europe in German. My father told a story of a pub landlord that heard German voices coming from a chimney and thought someone was on his roof.

mrspeedybob gave you the most practical advice: find the part that is vibrating rather than trrying to do something electrically. Locate the source of the sound and use something like a styrofoam kernel from packaging material to stop the vibration. Make sure that the location doesn't get so hot as to melt the foam and make sure the heater is unplugged before putting your hand inside.. A cheap stethoscope (less than $5 on Ebay) is an excellent tool to accurately localize a sound.

The effects of nearby radio towers can be bizarre. I once live aboard my boat within 1/4 mile of the Radio Marti Voice of America transmitters in Marathon Florida. It interferes with radios, phones, and computers. LED lighting flickers even when the power is turned off. Galvanic corrosion is accelerated. There are even reports that nearby residents mysteriously discover that they can speak Spanish :wink:

1. What could be causing an AM radio signal to sound from my wall heater?

There are a few possible explanations for this phenomenon. One possibility is that there is a loose wire or connection inside the heater that is acting as an antenna and picking up the radio signal. Another possibility is that the heater itself is generating electromagnetic interference (EMI) that is causing the radio to pick up the signal.

2. Is it safe to use a wall heater that is emitting an AM radio signal?

In most cases, yes, it is safe to use a wall heater that is emitting an AM radio signal. However, if the radio signal is being caused by a faulty wire or connection, it is important to have the heater inspected and repaired by a professional to prevent any potential hazards.

3. Why is the AM radio signal only coming from my wall heater and not other electronic devices?

The reason for this is likely due to the specific design and construction of the wall heater. It may have certain components or materials that are more susceptible to generating or picking up radio signals than other electronic devices.

4. Can I do anything to stop the AM radio signal from coming from my wall heater?

If the signal is being caused by a loose wire or connection, tightening or repairing them may help to reduce or eliminate the radio signal. In some cases, adding a ferrite core to the power cord of the heater can also help reduce any interference it may be causing.

5. Will the AM radio signal from my wall heater interfere with other electronic devices in my home?

In most cases, the AM radio signal will not interfere with other electronic devices. However, if you notice any unusual behavior or interference from your other devices, it may be worth having the wall heater inspected and repaired to prevent any potential issues.